No Instant Exit Races

I was surprised and pleased to read that the founders put a lot of thought into allowing Alt+F4 with no timer. As opposed to an afterthought "because D2 did it", like i'd assumed. I'm somewhat of a purist and always been a bit against instant exiting, but given GGG think it makes for a better game, i'll trust them and can definitely live with it.

However, i love the intensity of no exit modes, fighting scary mobs and packs to the death. Chris himself said that mob collision makes for more interesting combat, to his desyncing peril. Well combat is even more interesting when you can't just instantly exit the game when you are cornered.

For example, Phase Portals* in Torchlight 1/2 are some of my fondest ARPG moments, despite the games being far inferior to D2 and PoE in every other way. I'd like to see 'no instant logout' races, or at least a race mode with that as part of its vision. It would fit well in an Ironman race or league, among other things.

The tech is already there, used in Cutthroat races (5 second timer before you exit game or can take a town portal). That's all it really takes to change the game drastically, and with it our playstyles and experiences.

*For those who don't know, Phase Portals are challenging zones you enter that have no entrance to back out of, block town portal use, and are always keyed to your clvl so you can't overlevel to trivialize it. You have to try and make it to the end of it alive. IIRC you can't exit game either, or rather if you can, when you reenter the game you are right there again in the thick of it where you left off.
Character archive: view-thread/963707
HC: 96 RIP
SC: 95 97 96 100 95 96 97 98
Settlers: 88(retired) 95 92(BPL) 94(Settlers GSF)
no town portal / no area reset would be a interesting mod too, especially in party races
Last edited by Pam on Oct 10, 2013, 10:10:58 AM
In which case, I hope everyone in support of this idea gets bombarded with haste leap slammers in prisoner's gate on turbo... every... single... race.

I'm sure it will be a very pleasant experience for all of you to just get instagibbed, whilst being unable to use a TP or logout. A player's "life" (or death respectively) should always be in their control, adding another factor that simply adds to the randomness and unfair nature of this game is asinine.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Oct 10, 2013, 10:34:08 AM
Only arpgs (or modes within it) that should disallow instant exiting are those that have perfect, responsive controls and a perfectly functioning net code.
This game is lacking severely in one of these areas.
"
SlixSC wrote:
In which case, I hope everyone in support of this idea gets bombarded with haste leap slammers in prisoner's gate on turbo... every... single... race.

I'm sure it will be a very pleasant experience for all of you to just get instagibbed, whilst being unable to use a TP or logout. A player's "life" (or death respectively) should always be in their control, adding another factor that simply adds to the randomness and unfair nature of this game is asinine.

Well, what this tells me is that races with No Instant Exit should not have amped up mods like Turbo. That works.
Last edited by unsane on Oct 10, 2013, 10:56:51 PM
"
unsane wrote:
"
SlixSC wrote:

Well, what this tells me is that races with No Instant Exit should not have amped up mods like Turbo. That works.

That's a good point. But there are other problems even outside of Turbo. I got temp-chained perma-frozen in Cavern even outside of Turbo before and once that happens there is absolutely nothing you can do other than to log out. The player is no longer in control when stuff like that happens (or take puncture, in some cases when you are punctured you have to log or you are guaranteed to die). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there were similar mechanics in D2 that would basically stunlock the player for more than 5 seconds.

Granted, you can always argue that it's the players fault if that happens in the first place. But let's be honest here for a second, I had merveil daughters freeze me when I was already miles away (especially in descent for some reason) and yes I use /oos, sometimes it just doesn't really help. The rate at which desyncs happen in this game is so unpredictable, which would effectively force players to constantly spam /oos if they had no option to just instalog. That doesn't seem like alot of fun.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you to the extent that, if desync and bullshit mechanics like temp chain perme freeze weren't in the game I would see nothing wrong with having no instalog options.

But the fact that they are makes this game incredibly unfair at times, not only that but the fact that monsters can crit you and effectively destroy your life pool in less than 2 seconds, makes it at times completely unpredictable and very difficult to justify "banning" instalog, even if it's just an extra mod in some races.
#1 Victim of Murphy's Law.
Last edited by SlixSC on Oct 11, 2013, 3:25:44 AM
Worst case scenario i'd like to at least see it as a paid league option. It would be nice to trial it out in some between-season races though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info