Variety in types of races & difficulty in rule sets

I'd like to say I like the variety of races lately, but there are too many of the same types in a row. For example, some people desync too much on turbo races, some people prefer longer standard races, some people don't like cutthroat. With that in mind and also taking into account that some people only get a couple days a week to make the times for races, it'd be nice to see the races switched up instead of having all cutthroat races for an entire day for example.

Also, more standard rule races thrown in there would be great. Otherwise, it's not so novice friendly. I'm sure some novices have/could been turned off from racing altogether because the more difficult races are even difficult to the top 100 racers. And in all honesty, longer races /w the difficult modifiers can get kind of boring to a seasoned racer anyways... A lot of the times you're stuck in act 1 for most of it.

Even just having one or two 135min party/solo races in the evening would be great. Many people work during the day & very early morning when those particular races begin, and having them at night/primetime more often would be great for a lot of people. Plus, it keeps the seasoned racers coming back, because as I just mentioned, act 1 gets pretty boring by the time you've raced enough to perform well in the difficult modifier sets.

Ultimately, though, I think having longer standard rule solo & party races more regularly would draw a lot of novices in, and keep a lot of veterans around. Novices need more time than an hour & I learned the most at first when I had 3 hour races to take my time and and it was more enjoyable because I actually felt I accomplished something. Going through Act 2 was awesome as well. On the other hand, veterans need more opportunities to set Act 2 and 3 records & the competition at the end of the race really shows the skill of the racer, since by that time, if they're still alive, RNG is less of a factor and consistency in progression is more of a factor.

Thanks a lot for all your hard work GGG and keep it up. I hope the racing scene will continue to grow and the scheduling will be more consistent for those that have less of an opportunity from day to day to attend their favorites, compared to other competitors.
Twitch.TV/Calipark (CaliTV)
The Racing Channel!
"
calipark wrote:
Even just having one or two 135min party/solo races in the evening would be great. Many people work during the day & very early morning when those particular races begin, and having them at night/primetime more often would be great for a lot of people.

Remember that there are players all around the globe. So night/primetime is all the time basically. And that leads to having the same kind of race many types in a row. So all players may experience it during primetime.

Scheduling the races is not an easy task if you want to make everyone happy.
Last edited by Hassefar60 on May 27, 2013, 2:42:32 AM
"
Hassefar60 wrote:
"
calipark wrote:
Even just having one or two 135min party/solo races in the evening would be great. Many people work during the day & very early morning when those particular races begin, and having them at night/primetime more often would be great for a lot of people.

Remember that there are players all aruond the globe. So night/primetime is all the time basically. And that leads to having the same kind of race many types in a row. So all players may experience it during primetime.

Scheduling the races is not an easy task if you want to make everyone happy.

You have a valid point. However scheduling was not my main feedback for GGG. I think there are too many Turbo races 2 days in a row, too many BLAMT races 2 days in a row, with not 1 135min/150min/3Hr in both of those days most of the time. Some people don't like the modded races or are bored of Act 1 (dominating 1Hr races and even 2Hr races with some mods) and that's what I'm getting at. Other people don't like particular mods, like Turbo (desync), especially with a higher ping which is more common outside of America.

Regardless of time zones, there *are* certain days where there are only 135min/150min or longer races dominating the entire day. Which makes it hard if you happen to work that day or have other life responsibilities, and want to play at least 1 or 2 135min or 150min, then the 2 days you have off just so happen to be a bunch of 1Hr races with mods that not everybody enjoys. Just one of the more popular races should be scheduled each day, IMO.

Some people look forward to particular races and it can be disappointing to know you have to wait a few days just to participate in some circumstances -- and only if you get lucky. I happen to have my daughter, for example, on Thursdays and Fridays (the days my favorite races dominate the schedule) and get lucky sometimes to find a rare 135/150/2Hr/3Hr race that is at a reasonable time for North Americans, so I often miss the ones I enjoy. That's just one example.

And why are my favorite races on Thursdays and Fridays? Because those are very popular days to play so obviously a lot of people show up to them. So it might be worth it to throw a few popular races into days that have historically had none at all.

You know what I do much of the time because I miss the days with most of those popular races? Practice for when I get lucky enough for them to come around, and compete against myself like I'm playing golf.

Speaking of that, an unranked race league meant for practicing particular races/mods with tons of events on the schedule might actually be enjoyable to some people. At least you'd be able to compete with other people and that's the fun whether it's a couple dozen or 100.

Or even having separate leagues for racing (modded races & standard races). There'd be events at convenient times for anybody around the clock. People that are no-lifers can't dominate *both* leagues at the same time (they couldn't make all of the races) and thus other people with jobs/children would have more of a shot. People that would want a couple modded races occasionally, could do that, and vice versa. I think that solves the 1) amount of events issue asdfman brought up 2) no-lifers dominating the racing scene issue (to some extent) 3) scheduling issues for time zones 4) issue of less people interested in racing because they happen to have preferences for certain types of races which are often irregular and sometimes scarce.

And lastly, maybe having separate Solo & Party leagues. Or Solo & Party rankings.
Twitch.TV/Calipark (CaliTV)
The Racing Channel!
Last edited by calipark on May 26, 2013, 11:48:36 PM
separate rankings for solo and party could be interesting. Like tennis rankings :)

The "same scene boring effect" u mentioned could be solved by starting the race at different points. The gear and level could be adapted to "survivability". Of course only players that already reached that level in normal game could enter, preventing new players of using a car that already started at level 20 lets say.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info