[3.25] Energy Blade COC Lancing Steel of Spraying [100M dps] [100K EHP] all contents

Salutations exile!

If you are a COC lover just like me, and have tried and got bored with the classic Cyclone COC and want something new. Then this build is for you.

Before you continue, if you don't know what is is COC:
Spoiler

CoC or Cast on Critical hit support, is a support gem that triggers supported spell if you land a critical hit with a supported Attack skill.
COC offers a really simple playstyle as you do not need to cast spell yourself. And since COC triggers spell at a really high rate, COC builds usually have very good damage.

You can read this wiki page to learn more about COC:
https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Cast_On_Critical_Strike_Support

Introduction

This build uses Lancing Steel of Sparying to trigger 2 skills simultaneously at 10.10 rates. We use Ice Spear + Blazing Salvo for the majority of contents. Swap to Frostbolt + Vortex of projection for maximum AOE clearing and Ice spear + increase critical damage support for maximum single target damage for bossing.

Before 3.22, Cyclone was really the only option for COC. But since 3.22 the introduction of transfigured gems I started testing with Lancing Steel of Sparying. And have made a really strong build in standard and 3.23. The experience is way way way better and I honestly cannot go back to Cyclone anymore.

Pros:
Spoiler

- Very flexible in terms of main skill selection as your damage coming from Energy blade, not gem level or scalling of specific skills/tags.
- All contents viable. And it's not just "viable", this build nails it as you can change gems to fit the contents you do.
- Very high damage (80~100M) cuz you are a coc build.
- Unlike Cyclone, this is a Ranged playstyle so it is a lot faster and much safer. You die a LOT less cuz you don't need to be on melee range. I simply cannot revert back to play cycone COC anymore.
- Easy COC setup, You get 7.5 trigger rate right of the bat. With your basic gem setup you get 7.57 and 10.1 trigger rate once you hit 52% CDR. You don't need a specific Attack speed to hit maximum trigger rate with Lancing steel of spraying. No more IAS micro-managements. More detail on this in the COC setup section below.
- Most of your gears are uniques hence are easy to gear.
- Triggers 2 skills at 10.1 trigger rate and it is very fun.

Cons:
Spoiler

- Not a good leveling/league starter build.
- Some gears or jewels can be very expensive depends on leagues. For example forbidden flesh and flames. But they are not mandatory for this build to work.
- You rely on Coruscating Elixer so you will probably die from time to time because you forgot to use flask. For this reason it is not HC/SSF viable.
- Bad if you want to do Searching Exarch indluence since you can't ignore all altar downsides. Red altars have downsides that removes flask charges on hit, so you need to read the altars every single time and it tedious and annoying.
- Cannot do some expedition mods, like monster immune to lightning dmg or no crit hits.

Leveling guide:
Spoiler
You don't level with a COC build, so I will recommand you level as something else and farm some currency until you can set up your energy blade.

You can follow captain lance's Energy blade leveling guide if you are relatively experienced with the game. His version is not a COC setup so it is far more accessible. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI9BZPp19mM

But I assume you are a COC lover.

Gears:
Spoiler

Mandatory/Best in slot:
Spoiler

Core piece, you convert your life to ES and you use ES to scale your Energy blade damage.
The implicit is not mandatory, it improves the ES convertion rate and it is rather your end-game chaser. I got the 8% one and a 15% one costs like 200 Divs. It is pretty significant improvement tho.

This is a str/int stacking build so naturally Shaper's touch is BIS. It solves your accuracy and gives you a lot of mana and ES.
As for corruption, I personally like the +1 to socketed gem level to boost the enhance gem than other implicicts like 6% max life.

Like shaper's touch, we benefits a lot from the transfiguration of soul body and mind since this is also a life stacking build.
90% reservation efficiency is not mandatory, you can allocate a mana mastery for 12% reservation efficiency in your passive tree.

Glimpse of Chaos was a solid choice but the nerf on 40% all ele res on flask makes it even harder to cap your res with this Helmet, to the point I think it is no longer a good choice.

Gives a tonnes of damage and helps us cap crit.
BIS for life stacking builds like this one.
You can swap to Svalinn for the block meta and you will still have enough damage. I have a block version in my POB and honestly you should probably go for the block version since we have way to much damage at this point. But I am not dying and are trying to make big numbers for the build guide so.

Essential piece. This prevents chaos damage go pass your ES to kill you. You does have 100% MOM for Chaos damage from Ivory tower, but you only have around 300 mana and its not enough. So 1st thing after you click any portal is to Press "123". The 28% quality is not needed, 20% is enough.

Use 20% ele res mod instead if you are not capped.

Other Flasks:
Spoiler

I use rarity instead of the life regen for mapping. I also swap out 1 gem for Increased Rarity Support for gold farming. Just use Blazing Salvo or Ice Spear of Splitting as a 5 link, you have enough damage to afford using a rarity support.

This one together with Yugul from pantheon to get 100% reduced reflection damage taken:

If you don't have permanent consecrated ground from rational doctrine, you can use this instead of life regen to deal with curse:

Jewels:
Spoiler

Brutal Restraint Mandatory.
You need the "Traitor" keystone to sustain your flask. This one comes with increased movement speed, onslaught on kill and 8% aura effect. You can also get 5% life, frenzy charge on kill etc.

Use this tool to buy timeless jewel that gives you the best notables:
https://vilsol.github.io/timeless-jewels/tree?jewel=3&conqueror=Balbala&seed=10376&location=26196&mode=stats&stat=124&stat=177&stat=1350&stat=1402

Split Personality Mandatory. We use 2 for int/str stacking:

Watcher's eye not mandatory but is a BIS for almost every build that run auras, which is basically any build.
If you are looking for a 3rd mod, crit multi from precision or damage from wrath/zealotry are also fine, mana as extra ES from clarity are also good if you are using clarity. But the chaos res and ES gain from hit are BIS in my opinion: you gain 1000ES from Lancing Steel(16 proj), ~2000ES from Ice Spear (7 proj pierce) and ~4000ES from Blazing Salvo AOE hits. This is what makes you able to run no regen or no leech map.

Forbidden combo, not mandatory but WILL make your life so much easier as it sort out reservation AND alleviates your mana issue.

This combo gives a lot of attributes but it's not mandatory. The reservation implict on Unnatural instinct is also not mandatory if you use Enlighten for your life reservation. But if you do not use enlighten, you NEED to have 2% reservation efficiency on one of your jewels to not waste points on passive tree.

Rational Doctorine definely not mandatory. We use it for permanent consecrated ground. Consecrated ground with Zealot's oath gives 6.25% (Passive tree notable buffs consecrated ground by 25%) ES regen and 50% curse effect reduction. You can use a rare jewel instead to fill gaps in your build. Like the aforementiond reservation efficiency, your resistences, corrupted blood immunity etc.

Megalomaniac, not mandatory, what we are looking for is "Enduring composure" to generate Endurance charges. Endurance charges were good but are exceptionally good this league. If you cannot find a good megalomaniac, use a small armour cluster jewel instead.

Cluster Jewels:

The one with "Fuel the fight" is kinda mandatory as we need the mana leech. the other one is not mandatory, snowstorm gives good damage and prismatic heart good for capping res. Sadist can be good for damage as well since we also ignites with Blazing Salvo.

Weapon:
Spoiler
ANY one-handed weapon with an abyssal socket. Stats doesn't matter as it got turned into Energy blade.

Belt and boots:
Spoiler

Look for attribute and life. You want to have at least 18% Cooldown recovery in either your belt or boots to hit the 52% CDR for 10.1 trigger rate. Personally I think 20 CDR boots are a bit easier to craft.

You can also have 20 CDR on belt and 9 from eldrich implicit on boots so that you don't need to allocate a crit wheel on your passive tree. But crit wheels are very strong and I will probably have it regardless of CDR.

Belt and Boots are the gears that you can craft yourself with reasonable price and efforts. I might make a crafting guide if any of you guys are interested in.

You can also use HH for mapping and simulacrum, it is really cheap this league (like 15-20 Divs in 3.25). In fact it is way cheaper than the stygian vise.

I used mageblood before and it doesn't felt good, mainly because you are constantly worried about running out of flask charges and will die randomly, it's not fun. I would suggest you to use searing purity forbidden combo to get 90% chaos dmg taken as cold and fire, take out 1 aura so you have enough unreserved mana to take the remaining 10% chaos damage. This way it is possible to not use coruscating exlir and use a dying sun, and are able to enjoy the mageblood.

Rings and amulet:
Spoiler

Budget version will be Astramantis amulet and 2 chaos rings with attributes and life. Use mana cost ring mods if necessary. I wouldn't craft the helical ring myself as it might be too risky and expensive. The normal rare ring craft however can be done resaonably easy.

COC setup:
Spoiler

Lancing Steel of Sparying has a very important feature that makes it the perfect trigger skill imo.
Lets have a look at the gem description:
"
Thrust an Axe or Sword forward to form a cluster of shards in front of you. The cluster will fire a number of projectiles in sequence, aiming at enemies in front of or close to it.

The important feature here is "in sequence". From my testing (pretty sure there are other ppl done the same test, it is really easy to test for yourself) Lancing steel of spraying has a fixed fire rate. Attack speed does not impact the fire rate, it just makes you perform the attack animation faster. Once you made the attack, the cluster will do it's thing and it will fire projectiles at a constant speed.

More number of projectiles will extends the animation to accomadate for added projectiles, making the skill last longer. Again it does not impact the fire rate.
This makes life so much easier in terms of getting our trigger rate right, it is much more forgiving in terms of not having perfect attack rate or number of projectiles.

With this build, you will have 2.09 attack rate with onslaught and 1.8 without. You will have 14 to 16 projectiles from Lancing steel depends on your gems. (You get +1 from lv 21 and +2 from 20 quality, you get 1 more if you use awakened GMP)

All the above mentioned attack speed and proj number combos will have you reasonably close to trigger rate cap.
For example below is my current setup, you can see POB tells me I am making 33 hits per second and its triggering skills at trigger rate cap:
https://imgur.com/a/scMocuD

You will not be hitting stuff all the time in realife as you will be moving. But as I said, the cluster will continue fire proj for a while so you really is having a constant trigger for your COC.

I highly recommend you to use POB to help calculate your trigger rate. Remember to switch to "All projectiles hit" mode in Main Skill section. I repeat, you need to switch to "All projectiles hit" mode in Main Skill section, not the "View Skill Details" in Calculation section, it will not work.

Auras:
Spoiler

Purity of elements and Zealotry are mandatory. You can choose between Wrath for more damage or Tempest shield+Flesh and Stone for Tankiness.
I do not recommend determination/grace as they got nerfed and you really don't care about small hits thanks to the leech and massive life pool. What kills you are big physical hits.
Precision is almost mandatory, but you can get enough crit and accuracy just from Int and Dex. I just find it convinient. Change to Clarity/Vitality if you don't need precision.
I don't think skitter bots are good for this build:
Your hits will almost always cause shock and chill as we are inquisitor, we cap crit. From my personal experience you get ~10-15% shock on bosses. The chilling and speed reduction can be good but are too marginal.
Let me know if you have better ideas tho.

Curses:
Spoiler

Sniper's mark, period. Change my mind.
We use Inevitable judgment so no need for conductivity.
We cap crit so Assassin's mark is as appealing.

Having mana issue?
Spoiler

There are several ways to deal with mana issue:
1. Use forbidden flesh and forbidden flame to get sanctuary of thought. But this CAN be expensive.
2. Use two -7 mana cost non-channeling mods on rings + use lvl 1 gems. This eliminates mana cost altogether at an acceptable reduction to damage.
3. Use inspiration support instead of a second skill.

Pantheon and bandits
Spoiler

Solaris for bossing and Lunaris for mapping.
We are ailment (purity of ele) and stun inmmune (Unwavering stance keystone) so it is very simple.

For minor gods, we go for Yugul for curse effect reduction and reflection damage reduction.

For bandits, kill all is still better if you are overcapped but 15% all res is solid. 40 Max life is better than life mastery but still not quite as good as 1 skill point imo.Choose movement speed when you are leveling.
You can respect bandit choices if you want so no sweat.
https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Deal_with_the_Bandits

Map mods
Spoiler

Impossible:
- Player gain x% reduced flask charges
- Lose flask charge from Searing exarch altar downside
Basically anything that touches your flask charge.
Hard:
- Reduced defences (since we also scale our damage from ES)
- No leech (You need to change to lvl 1 gem to save mana cost and you are much less tanky)
Annoying:
- Ele reflect (You need to swap a flask and that translates to 30% reduced rarity and it feels bad.)
- No regen (You might need to switch off your automation if your unreserved mana pool is smol)

POB:

First time making a build guide, so if there is anything unclear or mistakes, please leava a msg in this thread or PM me, I will respond.
Last edited by ash7ling on Sep 16, 2024, 2:00:13 PM
Last bumped on Sep 16, 2024, 10:14:01 AM
Reserved
Reserved

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info