Persistent network issues going on for more than a week now

Hey,

I've generally had a good experience playing Path of Exile. I'd say something like 5-10% of the time on average, I end up in what seems like a bad instance and can resolve my network issues by abandoning that zone and trying a new one. Lately, for something like a week now, it's been more like 80-95% of instances have been unplayable due to lag spikes.

In terms of observable issues, if I watch the game's latency, it'll 'rest' at a reasonable ping between 30ms and 60ms, depending on the particular instance/server, before spiking to high values in the thousands or even tens of thousands. Sometimes the game will 'hang' at a particular moment for more than ten seconds at a time. The ping at stable times is consistent, varying by less than 10ms to 15ms when it isn't having a lag spike.

I have tried switching from Lockstep to Predictive, but Predictive generally feels worse even when the spikes are bad because it seems to cause me to teleport/rubber band around much more when using movement skills. In terms of what is more playable for me, the obvious feedback that things are going wrong in Lockstep mode makes it easier to try playing around a ground dot appearing under me or whatever else, where as in Predictive, I feel like I rubber band back into death or just have general hiccups and headaches much more frequently.

In the campaign, this isn't much of a problem but in maps it can be a real pain in the butt considering it costs consumables to roll an instance. I'm a fairly new player who usually has a weak economy, so it's very punishing to lose as much as 20-100c on a map that is unplayable either because I can't react to things and lose my portals or because the game is just unresponsive to the point that it would take me something like 20 minutes to clear the zone at the server's pace.

I'm in Taiwan and use the independent, local client from pathofexile.com. Steam won't let me run the client in my region and I don't want to use Garena. The closest server I'm able to access is Japan, which reports ~40ms ping at the login screen. Sometimes I have a better experience playing on Singapore despite it reporting ~90ms+ ping. Lately, trying SG has not helped any.

I've run WinMTR with the following addresses:
103.62.49.97 ~600 packet test
103.62.49.115 ~300 packet test
103.62.49.117 ~300 packet test

Last edited by scapegoatzovc on Aug 20, 2024, 6:16:09 AM
Last bumped on Aug 20, 2024, 10:43:32 AM
I went ahead and took a note of especially bad servers while trying to level an alt. Trying to more objectively keep track of the number of bad connections I had, it's probably closer to 50/66% of servers having this kind of behavior.

Old Fields >5 tries to find a playable instance
Broken Bridge - 2 tries to find a playable instance
Chamber of Sins Level 1 - 3 tries to find a playable instance
Chamber of Sins Level 2 - 4 tries to find a playable instance
Ancient Pyramid - 6 tries to find a playable instance

In case it matters, these tests were run while still playing PoE (in different instances) and while listening to an internet radio station.

103.62.49.111 ~600 packet
103.62.49.103 ~800 packet
103.62.49.103 ~1000 packet
I've been having the same issues: https://i.imgur.com/98GYkhu.png

https://pastebin.com/8hKMxitD

Sometimes leaving the instance helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info