Not loving the voice lines for recent NPC's

Overall pretty happy with the league, I don't really have much feedback at this time other than this.

The voice lines for the NPC's in the settlement are rather annoying. I see they have tried to be given a bit more personality, like flawed personality traits or insecurities, that is not necessarily bad in itself, but they are annoying, and sometimes an attempt to make them less repetitive can make them more annoying.

This has been the case for a while, I noticed it since about expedition league, and when kirac was swapped with zana, but it seems to have gotten worse. The original character voice lines were a bit grading, but in a different way, that made sense to the backstories. I would say the voice lines for Heist were done really well, above and beyond what is necessary. They were still annoying, but in general were quite clever and provided extra depth to the characters.

Others may like these, it's fine if that's the case, it's not majorly impacting the gameplay experience, but having rog say something halfwit every time I want to disenchant an item is annoying. With expedition crafting it not so bad, although they do frequently say things that don't line up with the crafts.

Overall happy with almost all the changes and implementations that were made this league, though I think this is one thing that can be improved. Perhaps the voice lines are not meant for me and other people are enjoying them.
Last edited by Belegur85 on Aug 12, 2024, 1:27:55 PM
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2024, 6:00:17 PM
I agree, voice acting in PoE 1 was done really well, each were unique and didn't talk too much, overall they all had impactful voice line we can all remember (the touch, of god!) and they gave room for us, the player, to wonder and wander

Now they just spit random dialogues, it is annoying and i can't remember of anyone..

The worst part is the bosses, they all have this annoying reverb/echo, it feels robotic and just generic RPG soup

I don't know where they get their inspiration from, but this ain't it

Yeah your right, there are some good ones, Dominus very good, Innocence also good, Bannon is great. The masters are done well. Tane. The exile delirium voice.

Recently though I think the voices have missed the mark a bit. It's a bit left of field, but I actually think having the in-game caricature above the NPC dialog box doesn't help. Most of the ones I mentioned in the post have this picture and the picture often doesn't match well with the voice. This might also relate to what you are saying, that when the player gets more information they are less able to imagine their own version of the characters. So now I know rog looks like this, gwennen, kirac, danning look like this. These might be an improvement for some people, I don't think it's necessarily bad to have these caricatures, I just think they don't exactly match the voices in some cases.

This league you have these NPC's talking to themselves rather than having a conversation like in the heist blueprint planning. Their standing by themselves, so they don't have much other option, but I don't think this adds anything to the game. When thy whisper something to you about order or something coming in, that's fine, when they start talking about some nonsense I don't think it adds a lot. It's okay to give them a back story, but make sure its a good back story and the voice lines aren't over used.
Last edited by Belegur85 on Aug 12, 2024, 3:43:40 PM
I actually like the NPC banter in kingsmarch.

I think it fits well. I mean this isn't an ultra serious area. It's like an idle town management RPG and kind of reminds me of other rpgs where the NPCs were purposefully funny / crazy.

Like I sometimes kill a minute or two waiting...so it's good to have some distraction.
hoho hard to beat Heist dialogue.
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
-Heist Enjoyer-
"
I actually like the NPC banter in kingsmarch.

Cool. I don't think it's terrible, just bugging me. I'm sure other people do like it as well.

Overall I think the kingsmarch has been done very well. I see where you coming from with it being light hearted, it's also possible it will grow on me if it remains in the game or they add to it somehow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info