Caster Buff for Low Level Dualing - Access to Level 31 Gems/New Uniques?

For level 28 pvp it seems melee has the favourable advantage over casters. A few level 31 gems I'd think may be able to balance the playing field somewhat.

Faster casting
Concentrated effect
Spell totem

Of course melee would then also have access to;

Melee physical damage
Faster attacks

... which I'm not sure would help balance things too much.

Against a 1.5k+ life, 80 ele res melee, it's very hard to make any appreciable dent in to their defense. But at the same time, those melee can still use OP weapons and not lose out too much on damage.

Many top melee guys have 2-3k dps, and 1.5k life. Hexaste has almost 10k dps for christ sake. lol although I'm betting his life is somewhat lower.

Thoughts? Perhaps some new unique caster items to increase their damage output? There needs to be a Wakes of Destruction version for casters. :)
IGN: _Firebitch
Last edited by Firebrand76 on Apr 25, 2013, 11:48:13 AM
+1

How about a unique that has -resists to enemies. Remmember Deaths Web from D2? God I loved that Wand so much.
I can't agree with this

When i play a caster it feels like a melee character with a large aoe attack, kiting hardly works and you lose dps anyway, giving your opponent the opportunity to regen.

You can still make fairly tanky crit shadows, but the damage is still in par with tanky melee characters, when it should be higher. Lower weapon elemental damage and change the lightening damage on wakes to 70-80, from 120.

Buff clarity, so it doesn't store as much mana at low levels. Specific regen items take away the potential of the character, making you neglect important +life and resist.

Sure, it's easy to get max resist, but you should be aiming for a total of 100 resist, at least 25 over the max so penetration isn't an important factor.
Last edited by exmse on Apr 26, 2013, 1:00:57 AM
Penetration ignores the fact that you are over the cap.
"
dzordzo wrote:

really o.o?

Didn't work like that in d2.

I am sad.
"
exmse wrote:
"
dzordzo wrote:

really o.o?

I am sad.

Ya. Penetration ignores over capped resists whereas curses do not. However penetration is pretty weak anyways since it's only 17% in low level dualing.
IGN: _Firebitch
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
"
exmse wrote:
"
dzordzo wrote:

really o.o?

I am sad.

Ya. Penetration ignores over capped resists whereas curses do not. However penetration is pretty weak anyways since it's only 17% in low level dualing.

penetration should be higher. Its too easy to overcap resistances. I wanna face some strong casters, I know they can exist but it seems like the level of play it requires is too much in comparison to tanky melee chars. The power charge gain support was a very nice add, I think crit chance support lvl req needs to be reduced.
I Stream PvP Twitch.tv/GrindcoreTHRALL
THE STORY OF MY Descent into the Abysmal Afterlife( HC to SC, too Stronk!)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346754
PK massacre, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldz09uBZ-ug
Last edited by GrindcoreTHRALL on Apr 26, 2013, 11:56:32 PM
Well I guess the question is, should attackers be nerfed down to caster levels, or should casters be brought up? What happens to PvE if you buff casters for 28 pvp and have casters doing 3k DPS?

It really does feel itemization could be balanced in both directions though. Less ele dmg available to attackers, and better spelldmg/crit/critdmg available to casters. And something has to be done about Wakes. As long as Wakes exist, you either need to make a "Wakes for Casters" that is also disgustingly overpowered, or you need to accept that attackers will always be better.

I don't think resists are that big an issue in balancing. Most of the DPS in attack builds is elemental anyways.
Last edited by aimlessgun on Apr 27, 2013, 6:06:46 PM

Strong casters go oom.
Casters are strong. i've come closeish to beating a few of the best builds, definitely have the damage but go oom boom baby, drivin' me a crazy
My obsession from a western - my dance floor date
My rodeo romeo, a cowboy god from head to toe
Wanna make you mine better get in line
5-6-7-8

got boot scoot?
Last edited by exmse on Apr 27, 2013, 7:20:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info