Our Senior Narrative Designer, Matt, has taken a moment to reflect on writing for Affliction League. Here are his thoughts.

Designing the narrative for Affliction League was an exciting task, in that it was an opportunity to finally delve into multiple mysteries from other leagues. Mechanically, we don't do 'sequel leagues,' so it's always been tough to revisit previous league lore. This time, however, the placement and concept of the dark forest was perfect for touching upon other things we've set up in the past.

The first and most obvious connection is to Harvest league's Lifeforce colors. The initial mechanical concept for the dark forest involved collecting three different types of unknown resources—probably some sort of dust—for three different NPCs. As soon as I heard that, I knew it had to be the three colors we've already established as having to do with plants, growth, and nature on Wraeclast. Luckily, that suggestion stuck, and the artists took it from there. We also included Sacred energy as the color of the wisps helping you, and everything else started to come together from there.

It was pretty clear to me who made the Wildwood, given that it's underground and is heavily forest-themed. The league gained the internal name 'Azmeri' very early on. We also considered an Ezomyte direction, and I know many people are excited to see more of them, but this one wasn't a good fit for that culture. We are definitely eager to find a way to explore the Ezomytes more at some point.

Knowing that this was an Azmeri-themed concept gave clear cues for who the three NPCs might be, and several of the uniques and ascendancy passives flowed from that characterization. Notably, I was excited to delve into Maji lore, given that we briefly mentioned them in other places, but never expanded it in ways players could see. In terms of flavor, we decided on a Celtic theme pretty early on, too. There's a mix of Irish and Scottish inspired language and concepts with consistent alterations, and a few other cultures as well. It was definitely a treat digging into styles of mythos that we don't normally work with.

The King in the Mists was a surprisingly well-formed concept right from the start. Normally, it takes some time to figure out who an antagonist is, and what he might be like. This time, though, much of the league's dark eerieness stemmed from his unique look. We also knew he would be doing rituals and creating creepy totems right from the start. The voice actor, Josh Cramond, absolutely went all out in the recording session, mimicking the King in the Mists' memorable animations and giving the most energetic performance I've ever seen. That was an absolute blast to behold.

Many of the monsters also shared visual aspects with Gruthkul, so there was definitely an intentional connection there. That gave me an opportunity to flesh out more of her story beyond the handful of glyphs that appear in Act 7. Players may have noticed she was far less malevolent than the other gods, and now we get to see a bit more of that tragedy and how it played out.

Ultimately, I'm very happy with how we've integrated the Viridian Wildwood into Wraeclast as we know it. I've had to be very careful in this writeup to not give spoilers, but if anything you see or hear in Affliction League inspires you to wonder, you can bet we thought about it. This content is the most explicitly connected to other leagues we've ever done, as far as I can tell, and it's really exciting to make the overall picture more cohesive. I'm hoping we get to do more like this in the future. Stay tuned!
Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info