❗ Ruthless Item Filter syntax is absolute mistake !

The word minimal does not facilitate syntax and contradicts the word Continue. Minimal sets everything in its own way and means that after using it, each block must have all its properties set from the beginning, such as text size, text color, background color and border color.

It is not possible to implicitly define all properties in Hide block and use the word Continue to then Show what is needed if it meets the requirements.

For example, for Normal and Magic, Rings and Maps with AnyEnchantment, the basic syntax with properties defined in Hide blocks can look like this:

Hide
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 0 # all default borders
Continue

Hide
SetFontSize 34 # all default Font Size
Continue

Hide
Rarity = Normal # all default Normal Text Color
SetTextColor 223 223 223 255
Continue

Hide
Rarity = Magic # all default Magic Text Color
SetTextColor 255 127 255 255
Continue

Hide
SetBackgroundColor 0 0 0 223 # all default backgrounds
Continue

Hide
Class "Rings"
SetBackgroundColor 0 63 0 223 # all default Ring backgrounds
Continue

Hide
Class "Maps"
SetBackgroundColor 127 0 63 223 # all default Maps backgrounds
Continue

Show # show what we want with simple conditions, rest is hide
AnyEnchantment True
PlayEffect White
MinimapIcon 1 White Circle
Continue

....finish

In Ruyhless this is impossible and everything has to be set separately in each Show block and the use of the word Continue becomes useless:

Minimal

Show
Class "Rings"
Rarity = Normal
AnyEnchantment True
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 0
SetFontSize 34
SetBackgroundColor 0 63 0 223
PlayEffect White
Continue # or not, for rest Rings and Normal must be separate Show because there is no default blocks...

Show
Class "Maps"
Rarity = Normal
AnyEnchantment True
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 0
SetFontSize 34
SetBackgroundColor 127 0 63 223
PlayEffect White
Continue # or better not, for rest Maps and Normal must be separate Show because there is no default blocks...

Show
Class "Rings"
Rarity = Magic
AnyEnchantment True
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 0
SetFontSize 34
SetBackgroundColor 0 63 0 223
PlayEffect White
Continue # or not, for rest Rings and Magic must be separate Show because there is no default blocks....

Show
Class "Maps"
Rarity = Magic
AnyEnchantment True
SetBorderColor 0 0 0 0
SetFontSize 34
SetBackgroundColor 127 0 63 223
PlayEffect White
Continue # or better not, for rest Maps and Magic must be separate Show because there is no default blocks....

Introducing the word minimal instead of Hide is an absolute mistake and a retrograde step in the development of filter syntax.
What a stupid backwards philosophy with that Minimal word and Ruthless filter syntax...
🌞 Designer of SimpleFilter see My Item Filters 🌞
Last edited by koszmarnica on Dec 8, 2023, 10:43:38 PM
Last bumped on Jun 26, 2024, 2:45:06 PM
to me the ruthless item filter is a little bit wishful thinking combined with not enough play testing.

"ideally we want the filter to not be necessary"

Cool goal, only they didn't get loot drops there.

So they designed the filter with that in mind as mostly a tool to highlight important stuff (witch it does just fine)

But the spam of white and blue items still becomes problematic. There aren't enough regals to make blues interesting to look at (outside of the first few hours, and maybe amulets belts and rings)

Minimal rule however really borked my first attempts to make a workable filter because of the things that more play testing would have shown them:

at a certain point you're almost constantly accidentally picking up "minimal" rule items, due to click to move and "the POE shuffle" (attack move attack move cadence).

This becomes frustrating

then tedious

then maddening

then it becomes one of the reasons you no longer feel like logging in.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
The Minimal word is disaster and back step in filter syntax evolution.
Last edited by koszmarnica on Jan 9, 2024, 9:34:03 PM
There never was a need for a different filter syntax for Ruthless. Its made pointlessly annoying to make a Ruthless filter.

When I still played Ruthless I did not use "Minimal". No idea why it even exists.
No wonder it's lost, it's in the middle of the jungle!
👍
"
alhazred70 wrote:
to me the ruthless item filter is a little bit wishful thinking combined with not enough play testing.

This was fine for when Ruthless was released back in Sanctum, and maybe for a little while after.

But it was released in Dec 2022 and it's still a problem.

My personal stance on loot filters is simple: if I want to see it, I want it to be shown. Therefore, if I don't need to see it, I want it to be hidden.

I don't think it's the biggest problem but seeing how bench league has functioning filters I don't see why Ruthless shouldn't have them
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

This was fine for when Ruthless was released back in Sanctum, and maybe for a little while after.

But it was released in Dec 2022 and it's still a problem.

My personal stance on loot filters is simple: if I want to see it, I want it to be shown. Therefore, if I don't need to see it, I want it to be hidden.

I don't think it's the biggest problem but seeing how bench league has functioning filters I don't see why Ruthless shouldn't have them

Yeah I'll just say there's a reason I've restarted the league in SSF this week.

I still want to play POE. I still want loot on the ground to matter. I still want a challenge. But GD if I'm not sick and tired of all the things they got wrong in Ruthless. I want the steeper climb, slower progression, less items on the ground. But who asked for it to have less possibilities (sterilized Atlas tree)? Less fun, or more tedious item management? Less QoL and Less customization of the filter is just another straw.

PICKING WHITE ITEMS OUT OF MY INVENTORY CONSTANTLY DRIVES ME FUCKING INSANE.

I and many others on the Alpha forum and discord gave them this feedback and that feedback has never stopped happening. But they're deaf to it.

I hate that they've not done ANY iteration on or self reflection on what they did right and wrong in the mode. Are we to assume GGG thinks they did a PERFECT JOB on the initial pass?

Like NO ONE gets everything right on the first pass. But they've done NOTHING to improve or tweak the mode. I get it, they're timid and overly fearful of the Creative mode types being upset because Ruthless got some Dev time. Man up and stop pandering.

There's not enough ruthless players to give a shit about though. Its all about who throws fits loudest.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on May 13, 2024, 5:15:19 PM
In my own filter i list all what i want with "show" blocks first so it appears with the desired background colors etc -

Then at the very end of the file i have a block hidding everything else.

Like if you need specific bases in ruthless you show them all, then at the end of your file you hide the wholes classes like this:

Show
Rarity Normal Ragic Rare
BaseType "Fingerless Silk Gloves" "Two-Toned Boots" "Gripped Gloves" "Spiked Gloves" "Bone Helmet"
SetFontSize 45
SetBackgroundColor 0 0 0 255
CustomAlertSound "Major.ogg"
MinimapIcon 0 Brown Circle

etc...

################## END OF THE FILE #############################

Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Gloves Boots "Body Armours" Helmets Shields

Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Claws Daggers "Rune Daggers" Wands "One Hand Swords" "One Hand Axes" "One Hand Maces" Sceptres

Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Warstaves Bows Staves "Two Hand Swords" "Two Hand Axes" "Two Hand Maces"
"
Universalis wrote:
In my own filter...
Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Gloves Boots "Body Armours" Helmets Shields

Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Claws Daggers "Rune Daggers" Wands "One Hand Swords" "One Hand Axes" "One Hand Maces" Sceptres

Hide
Rarity Normal
Class Warstaves Bows Staves "Two Hand Swords" "Two Hand Axes" "Two Hand Maces"

You didn't understand the point of the post. You're doing the right thing when it comes to the initial configuration of colors like the ground. The problem is that you can't use 'Hide' in filters for the 'Ruthless' game type. This post is just pointing out the misunderstanding of introducing a different syntax in Ruthless games. The Ruthless filter syntax is good for Neversink filters, which are primitive in their syntax because they focus on individual blocks without using the 'Continue' keyword at all, which is why these filters are long and take a long time to load by the game and are not universal. 'Show' blocks can overwrite each other. The introduction of the Ruthless syntax is a step back in the development of filter syntax.
Last edited by koszmarnica on Jun 26, 2024, 2:50:54 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info