Our Divination Card Stories series showcases the tales behind our player-designed divination cards. In today's news post we've gathered the first four entries into the series together. Check them out!

If you've designed a Divination Card that has been released and would like to share the story about the meaning of your card, please feel free to send us a message here!

The Price of Loyalty

An early entry into the Divination Card Stories series was Sirgog's The Price of Loyalty. Wanting something with high power but high variance, Sirgog came up with the idea when another player in global chat linked a two-implicit Tabula with two +2 gems mods and he snarkily replied "shame to waste those corrupts, they would be amazing on Skin of the Loyal".

The Tumbleweed

The Tumbleweed was designed as a gift for two friends of nasaboy007, celebrating their first wedding anniversary. The story describes a bachelor being saved from an apartment nicknamed "The Wasteland", where a tumbleweed was the central attraction.

The Skeleton and The Bones

As a long time ARPG enjoyer, SinnerSteven's favourite character archetype was summoners, specifically necromancer. The idea for The Skeleton was simply that a card that gave a high quality summon skeleton skill gem would be fitting for such a high quality skill. SinnerSteven's second card, The Bones, is a continuation of the first. The art and flavour text were designed to capture the feeling of using Vaal Summon Skeletons for the first time and being surrounded by an army of skeletons.

The Sigil

After running a modded Neverwinter Nights 2 server set in the Planescape setting, Cryptc wanted to create a Divination Card inspired by the same theme. References to the Planescape Dungeons and Dragons campaign setting can be found in the title, art, and flavour text of Cryptc's Divination Card.

Posted by 
on
Grinding Gear Games
These are way more interesting than my 6 div cards
Hmm...
Beautiful stories and beautiful art as well

And.. Factions? hmmm yeah, factions, i have a feeling this is something we'll hear this summer!
"
aneruok1 wrote:

I can see from your AV you made the Jeweller's Boon card, what others did you make? Also understandable if you don't want to say.

"
References to the Planescape Dungeons and Dragons campaign

I've been told Planescape: Torment is a great game, sometime I need to play it.

Div Card Stories are some of my favorite posts. Maybe these happened before I played, but Unique Item creators I think would make for some interesting news posts as well.
Here's hoping maybe SinnerSteven comes back to play and makes the obvious piece de resistance of the set:

The White Cliffs

Vaal Summon Skeletons 21/23

"It appears the subject died of a calcium overload." --Vaal research notes
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
aneruok1 wrote:

Woah. Six! :o
IGN: JerleNecroDD/JerleNecroRuthless
Harvest is the BEST league EVER. Deterministic crafting ftw.
How many league/core supporter packs in a year when POE1 & 2 coexist?
I love this div card stories series!
This daily post is more interesting for people who missed the originals than announcing that tab sale #594 is happening for the next few days, but a teaser of a teaser could probably beat both.
Last edited by MonTerran on Jun 19, 2023, 8:27:05 PM
"
sumfight wrote:
"
aneruok1 wrote:

I can see from your AV you made the Jeweller's Boon card, what others did you make? Also understandable if you don't want to say.

"
References to the Planescape Dungeons and Dragons campaign

I've been told Planescape: Torment is a great game, sometime I need to play it.

Div Card Stories are some of my favorite posts. Maybe these happened before I played, but Unique Item creators I think would make for some interesting news posts as well.

Unique item commissions haven't been sold for ~7 years now (I might be a little wrong on the timeline but it's something like that). Poet's Pen was one of the last ones added (AFAIR) and it was 2017 which probably means it was in the pipeline since 2016. After all I submitted Price of Loyalty early in Delve league (3.4) and it went live in Blight (3.8) a year later.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of unique commissions were made by people who have moved on by now.

Also MOST (not all) Unique commissions were a minor part of a supporter pack that had other things in it. You'll notice that div card commissions got more complex (on average) over time - the people who bought the top 2.0 supporter pack got a card commission 'thrown in' and many of them made fairly simple things like 'life armor' or '1x exalted orb'. Simple doesn't mean bad, but the later ones were designed by people who specifically purchased a div card commission (granted, often for the points that came with it) - many of those were far more complex ideas like "i86 bone helmet, Elder influenced" or "Alternate quality gem, level 19, 19 quality".

There's probably only a small-ish number of commissioned uniques that have stood the test of time and that were commissioned by people who still play. Poet's Pen, Inpulsa, Bisco's Leash and Aegis are the four paid commissions I can think of that have really stood the test of time (there's also the boss race ones like Rational Doctrine and Nimis, although Nimis' story is probably not even close to family friendly).

I'd be interested to see this too, just can't see it being a long series.
Le Toucan Will Return

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info