Battlemage Theorycrafting and questions. Discussion!

Hey,

I would like to make an actual battlemage. No spellslinger BS or CwC/CoC. Like an actual battlemage that uses a spell and an attack.

However, I'm not sure how battlemage is quantified.

Anyone have any idea on what skills, weapon, and armors would work best?

Here is an example of what I'm thinking about, but I could be completely wrong because Idk what it means by "Added spell damage equal to the damage of your main hand weapon".

From PoB, it seems that Brain Rattler has the highest amount of raw damage. Does this 70-295 Physical Damage convert to spell damage? Or is there something else?

I was thinking of using Brain Rattler and converting my physical damage to lightning (phys to lightning), using a hard hitting melee skill for bossing (e.g., Earthshatter), and using a lightning spell to clear (e.g., arc, ball lightning, crackling lance). Using Leap Slam to trigger Fanaticism.

Let me know if this sounds impossible as I am not experienced with creating builds.

Last bumped on Feb 2, 2021, 8:27:44 PM
I did some quick tests last week, but they were ranged - wand spellslinger and bow with instruments of zeal (bows and wands were from the same tier). Still, can share some of my experience.

As for attack - I used fire elemental hit as it has the strongest base damage out of all ranged attacks (probably out of all attacks in-game). That was my idea for a single target.

Spells: fire converted freezing pulse for the most time, also checked flameblast (not worths it).

Tl;dr - spellslinger won, as it stacks with battlemage, and total dps was just way more than IoZ fp.

I can suggest using a really strong single-target dps spell, because u don't want to use the self casted spells on maps at all.
Also, I tried to use unleash, but, again, the freezing pulse isn't that strong, and even stacked it had less dps than ele hit.

Next, instruments of zeal are extremely clunky to play. It is possible to get used to it, but I just don't want to.

I really recommend you to spent 1 evening testing things by yourself. It is possible to play both attack/spell and spell/attack for bossing/mapping.

As for battlemage, both spellslinger and CwC/CoC are just stronger than selfcasting, hands down.

Well, that was my experience and it can be different.

UPD: there are several builds using fanatism here, probably u want to check them, like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3025478
Last edited by monik390 on Feb 2, 2021, 5:05:26 AM
If you really wanna do some battlemage setup i'd recommend of starting as a melee build because most of the struggle will be capping your accuracy as templar which spellslinger setup doesnt care about.
Battlemage means your weapon damage is added to your spell after local increases such as quality or local increased phys on weapon so not only the modifier. That means that you will most likely deal physical damage unless converted/blocked by other mods/keystones.
I'd suggest using an attak skill with AoE tag so it would be easier for you to get a visual clue as to whether or not you have fanaticism up as it increases your aoe by 75%.
Great source of added damage are two handed weapons.
As you are inqisitor it is most likely going crit path which means that a natural choice for you would be going staff as it provides very high base crit on weapon.
Inq also scales mostly elemental so ud like to have all the phys converted to elemental damage so probably ice crash would be decent as it has nice added damage multi.
Spell u'd use most likely should be something that converts phys to element and has decent scaling as well as aoe tag. The only i can thing of the top of my head rn is Glacial Cascade.
Tree should be mostly about general increases to damage and crit multi, most likely with use of cluster jewels.
It sounds possible to make such a build but then again why even bother with 2 six links with two different setups if u can just go all in with either Ice crash or glacial cascade and forgo fanaticism for one of the nice inq nodes that already are in the tree, the only reason to do that is to either make hardest hiting coc or do spellslinger memes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info