[Mac] Path of exile is underclocking my cpu?

So im not really sure what is happening exactly, however after being in game for a few minutes my cpu slowly ramps down below its base speed (2.7ghz) and stays steady at around 1.2 to 1.4ghz taking with it my performance. It will jump up slightly when loading into new zones or logging in or out of character selection. I can't seem to find anything that is directly responsible for causing this, and as seen below in the intel power gadget screenshots it doesn't seem to be temperature.

This is just after a few minutes in game

And this is just after I close the game

Specs are:
MacbookPro 2016
i7-6820hq
16gb lpddr3 2133
Radeon Pro 455 2gb
Last bumped on Oct 15, 2020, 10:34:30 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
My guess would be thermals. Your computer is likely running much hotter under PoE, and the OS is limiting the CPU. This is a common issue.

You can run

pmset -g thermlog

while running PoE and check the output
"
Callipygian wrote:
My guess would be thermals. Your computer is likely running much hotter under PoE, and the OS is limiting the CPU. This is a common issue.

You can run

pmset -g thermlog

while running PoE and check the output
Alternatively you can not grow POE Mac window to full size and look at the Macs Fan Control application running and see your fan speed just go up to close to max when in my instance a 4Ghz I7 and look at the 4 cores running close to or at 100% utilization. (GPU under utilized I guess?)

I have run this experimental MacOS client for several hours, but stopped because I saw how the CPU was throttling when hitting 100 C.

Still waiting for the Official client rather then playing this for anything other then short duration because of the thermals.

Hopefully you will continue to release interim versions of the Mac client as you work towards that goal
Last edited by Nightwind4 on Oct 8, 2020, 7:04:12 PM
When I saw this windows POE options it kind of made sense when the Mac CPU going nuts with running the game. No GPU settings under Graphics.

For Mac OS beta client Display Settings you have the following

VSync (Enabled)
Foreground FPS Cap (Not enabled 240)
Background FPS Cap. (Not Enabled 30)

Windows Display Settings has

Display (Shows Graphic Card ID)
Mode (Example Windowed Fullscreen)
Resolution (1980X1080)

VSync (Enabled)
Foreground FPS Cap (Not enabled 240)
Background FPS Cap. (Not Enabled 30)

Last edited by Nightwind4 on Oct 11, 2020, 5:33:38 PM
When running games, it is a wise precaution to use Macs Fan Control and set a profile that will ramp up the fans so your CPU (and/or GPU in the case of an iMac or MacBook of any type) don't throttle as easily. The default fan profile that is built into Apple's machines will literally let the machine cook the CPU before they rev up. Apple prefers quiet over functional. That doesn't work for games, especially with chasses that are so thin that there is nowhere for that heat to realistically go.

You want the fans set at a minimum of 80% of their rated speed when playing games. It's noisy, but it's better than a fried computer that died a horrible heat death.
"
SquishyTia wrote:
When running games, it is a wise precaution to use Macs Fan Control and set a profile that will ramp up the fans so your CPU (and/or GPU in the case of an iMac or MacBook of any type) don't throttle as easily. The default fan profile that is built into Apple's machines will literally let the machine cook the CPU before they rev up. Apple prefers quiet over functional. That doesn't work for games, especially with chasses that are so thin that there is nowhere for that heat to realistically go.

You want the fans set at a minimum of 80% of their rated speed when playing games. It's noisy, but it's better than a fried computer that died a horrible heat death.
No disagreement with that approach, still for the POE graphics I see being utilized, the example of the CPU quickly being heated reflects the absence of GPU and resolution settings missing.

Another competitor game supporting metal hardly elevates the CPU temps watching Macs Fan Control. It just illustrates how the experimental beta client needs graphic card support against resolution utilized. They have discussed this earlier. Just hoping its coming sooner not later.
Last edited by Nightwind4 on Oct 12, 2020, 4:00:41 PM
After 3.12.4 applied. Using fan set to high RPM the 4 Ghz I7 quad core shows 100 C fairly quickly. No improvements.
Yeah. I am also waiting for resolution settings and CPU optimizations.
However, I found a few steps to chill my mac:
1) Macs Fan Control - You can just set 100%, or configure the fan speed based on the sensors
2) EasyRes - You can change the screen resolution (I use 1280x800) and switch the game to the full-size mode.
3) Enable "Foreground FPS Cap" and set it to 30fps
4) [optional] disable "Engine Multithreading"
"
Kayfatishe wrote:
Yeah. I am also waiting for resolution settings and CPU optimizations.
However, I found a few steps to chill my mac:
1) Macs Fan Control - You can just set 100%, or configure the fan speed based on the sensors
2) EasyRes - You can change the screen resolution (I use 1280x800) and switch the game to the full-size mode.
3) Enable "Foreground FPS Cap" and set it to 30fps
4) [optional] disable "Engine Multithreading"

The disable Engine Multithreading seem to have the most effect. Used the 1280x720 retina instead (Easyrez) Have the fan sped up to fixed 2300 RPM was manageable.

Thanks

Note under Big Sur beta 10
Last edited by Nightwind4 on Oct 15, 2020, 10:38:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info