Tectonic Slam Chieftain needs some advice

Hello everyone.

I'm playing my first Tectonic Slam chieftain. Overall, he is a lot of fun. However, he is facing 2 problems:

1) Mapping is awesome, but he rather sucks at map boss fights. I usually switch the Shockwave gem for Concentrated Effect (or Fortify), but it doesn't help too much.

Any suggestion what I could improve? A 6-link-weapon surely would help immensly, but playing SSF that's out of reach. Unless Harvest should offer me this option.

2) He's a bit rippy, even with 7 endurance charges, ok leech and life regeneration. I guess 6500 life just isn't enough. My gear is far from perfect, but for the moment it's the best I have. If I get the Critical Strike Chance enchantment for the boots, I might consider to change the amulet to a rare one with life.

Maybe I have messed up the skill tree... being a newbie I find it rather difficult to optimize it. He gets 169 % life from the skill-tree. Is that not enough for a melee character? Any suggestions how to improve the skill-tree?

Pastebin for POB

Watch directly in browser: HitTheRoad_Jack

(I'm aware of the fact that the Fist of War gem in the weapon isn't linked to the attack; it's just there to switch in for physical damage reflection damage, because the Shockwave makes me commit suicide)

Thank you very much for your time and thoughts.
Overwhelmed by Path of Exile? You might want to have a look at Wrecker_of_Days' beginner-friendly guides. One-click-wonders that do not require any specific items to conquer the campaign and the Atlas: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2606288/page/1
Last bumped on Aug 12, 2020, 3:50:19 PM
Hello fellow German

- You have no 6-link

- Your Weapon is bad and so is your helmet.

- You are non-crit and scaling damage is hard.

sooo...well, get a 6-link, get a rare helmet with enchant, OR if you want to switch to crit, consider Abyssus

Aside from that: If you want to use a 2H-Weapon, try and craft a better one or save up and buy one.

Take the 40% conversion for 3 extra passives from the tree and consider respeccing two of your Ascendancy points.

And then..with 100% fire...see to get some more penetration going. (Ascendancy, Wise Oak, Support gem, Watcher's Eye)
“Losing a limb is no excuse for cowardice.” - Master Sollis, "Blood Song"
Last edited by Carmondai89 on Aug 6, 2020, 10:54:57 AM
"
Carmondai89 wrote:
Hello fellow German

- You have no 6-link

- Your Weapon is bad and so is your helmet.

- You are non-crit and scaling damage is hard.

sooo...well, get a 6-link, get a rare helmet with enchant, OR if you want to switch to crit, consider Abyssus

Aside from that: If you want to use a 2H-Weapon, try and craft a better one or save up and buy one.

Take the 40% conversion for 3 extra passives from the tree and consider respeccing two of your Ascendancy points.

And then..with 100% fire...see to get some more penetration going. (Ascendancy, Wise Oak, Support gem, Watcher's Eye)

Vielen Dank!

Do you really think that the wepaon is so bad? Finding this weapon was one of the main reasons to start playing this build...

Maybe I'll spend the 1500 fusings that are necessary to turn it into a 6-link... unfortunately I only have abouout 1600 fusings and my first character, a witch, would like to have a new 6-link, too.

Wise oak is a good suggestion. I'll give it a try if it is better than these flasks:

I already have quite some fire penetration because of this curse on hit on one of my rings:

I'll try to harvest-craft more life onto it.

Have a pleasant week-end,

Caligula_Exile
Overwhelmed by Path of Exile? You might want to have a look at Wrecker_of_Days' beginner-friendly guides. One-click-wonders that do not require any specific items to conquer the campaign and the Atlas: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2606288/page/1
Well, the Kongor's has a raw phys DPS of around 450

A 700 pDPS 2H Axe would cost around 100 chaos, so that would be HUGE I think.
If you buy a 6-linked one, currently I see a 724 pDPS 2H Axe for 1.5 Ex. That would be great value.

Then flasks....hard to judge, if you just have 2 spare slots, then they probably outperform The Wise Oak. But if you manage to cap all ele resists at the same number, The Wise Oak also provides great damage mitigation.

Gem links: Maybe look into linking your Wave of Conviction to Combustion Support. Or some totems with combustion - Vaal Ancestral Warchief is great.
Also, I would use CWDT at a lower level - I have mine capped at lvl 48.

Alternative: The Vaal Molten Shell you could put into the unset ring, put the Conc. Effect gem into your inventory for bossfights, and use a Golem in the CWDT setup.

Also, get a better amulet. you can craft good ones easily with harvest...either farm the mods straight away or chaos-spam and hope for something you can use with 1-2 additional crafts.
Example from my char:

I re-craft the life leech mod with remove/add phys to get flat phys or phys as extra fire...and then it is really good.

Also, -fire res and fire penetration is not the same. You could read that up too, I am not good at explaining it. But generally, penetration is better until you have maybe 25-30 pts in it.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance_penetration

Finally, what I am personally aiming for is this (will take more time cause I am just leveling it atm):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWXvtaFVctE

Edit: re-watched the vid...the guy there is using CWDT and wave of conviction, and has combustion linked to his totems.
That is fine as well...since combustion just says it applies -fire res and wave of conviction applies exposure (-25 res in that case), they stack.

So, to get all the gem slots and maintain a high life pool, a temple chest (Guatelitzi's Life modifier) would probably be best - or maybe a belly.
“Losing a limb is no excuse for cowardice.” - Master Sollis, "Blood Song"
Last edited by Carmondai89 on Aug 8, 2020, 8:44:21 PM
"
Carmondai89 wrote:
Spoiler
Well, the Kongor's has a raw phys DPS of around 450

A 700 pDPS 2H Axe would cost around 100 chaos, so that would be HUGE I think.
If you buy a 6-linked one, currently I see a 724 pDPS 2H Axe for 1.5 Ex. That would be great value.

Then flasks....hard to judge, if you just have 2 spare slots, then they probably outperform The Wise Oak. But if you manage to cap all ele resists at the same number, The Wise Oak also provides great damage mitigation.

Gem links: Maybe look into linking your Wave of Conviction to Combustion Support. Or some totems with combustion - Vaal Ancestral Warchief is great.
Also, I would use CWDT at a lower level - I have mine capped at lvl 48.

Alternative: The Vaal Molten Shell you could put into the unset ring, put the Conc. Effect gem into your inventory for bossfights, and use a Golem in the CWDT setup.

Also, get a better amulet. you can craft good ones easily with harvest...either farm the mods straight away or chaos-spam and hope for something you can use with 1-2 additional crafts.
Example from my char:

I re-craft the life leech mod with remove/add phys to get flat phys or phys as extra fire...and then it is really good.

Also, -fire res and fire penetration is not the same. You could read that up too, I am not good at explaining it. But generally, penetration is better until you have maybe 25-30 pts in it.

https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Resistance_penetration

Finally, what I am personally aiming for is this (will take more time cause I am just leveling it atm):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWXvtaFVctE

Edit: re-watched the vid...the guy there is using CWDT and wave of conviction, and has combustion linked to his totems.
That is fine as well...since combustion just says it applies -fire res and wave of conviction applies exposure (-25 res in that case), they stack.

So, to get all the gem slots and maintain a high life pool, a temple chest (Guatelitzi's Life modifier) would probably be best - or maybe a belly.

Thank you very much for taking your time and for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it. Danke!

I managed to craft a better helmet:

If I don't get a 6 link this league he can have one when I'm back in standard. I would consider to give him this weapon:

I found it months ago and always wanted to use it but couldn't think of a character who makes good use of it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info