Budget starter viperstrike Berzerker (scales with currency as you play, this is way endgame viable)

Currently leveling a viperstrike character. Scaling it with ailment damage from the tree, and with as much attack speed as possible. Ailment damage is relatively easy to scale, as is attack speed, both on tree and with gear.

Poison builds, or any DoT for that matter, has always appealed to me. I like the slow damage ramp from little to no damage, to after a few second watching their life pool just disappear like melting butter.
They also let you hit them for a few seconds, and then run away while still dealing damage.
This is also a "get up in their face" melee skill, and alot of people don't like that.
So this skill has two things people don't usually enjoy. Slow, ramping DoT, and it's a true melee skill, unlike frost blades or blade flurry or, dare I say, Cyclone.

I am playing this as Berzerker, but other ascendancies are just as good, some most likely better, but I just wanted to play Zerker.

I don't claim to know everything, so please feel free to share ideas or things I overlooked in this post.

I am currently level 65, have finished all the quests up to Kitava with relative ease for a starter (other than resists. I have 30 or less resists cause nothing is dropping that has resists on it. Unlucky. So I'm sitting around 15-25 deaths due to low resistances due to no good loot).
I will be updating this guide around level 85 once I have gear and have done some mapping to give you guys an idea of what it feels like mid endgame.

According toy PoB, I should hit around 1.5 to 3mill shaper dps gear depending at level 90.

Passive tree (not PoB yet cause I'm on my phone, will update once I get home)
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAABAECAFBHFCDvDj38jM_2SBHVYEFXl2NwG_ol36QZR35lTb02WK9YYxiRvJ8UTfxL8kX-Cv6POuGmVzWSTePYvcbYuEfWBxX9b1eNgXgZwaATBPLmPP5fP1uvAhGPwUscDSKaF5KAk5CtZe0_N9SdqmKsbIxNko19I_be-KR4wdVRR4AiP2w67cGLNe-BQbXyqW4OPHgNwBpvOzboOlKE2QHnwQS-p0CgDY0hYMLsfyswfAW1jb-0xUz_o4r8xU4qBnB6fy4j-t2a_tVlkAp340Zp2sF5aO4OQzEB3AUtdO1674d2Z6BKfeOfIZD4X6dt4NiYV1_Q6hD4uSxkqqTpdv0BW5kcX93utmZEyAAAAAA=

Ascendancy choices:
Spoiler

pathfinder: probably my last pick for viperstrike out of all of them because it's damage is almost entirely dependant on you having an active flask. It's a very good and solid option, but not one I will probly ever play personally, but as you know that's what mathil is currently playing. Good choice here.

Slayer: headsman for the 20% more damage against unique enemies and brutal fervour are the only two reasons I would pick slayer. But overall I'd say it's a worse pick than pathfinder, unless you really really want that overleech. Meh choice.

Assassin: very, very solid choice for viperstrike, probable one of the best. The high crit chance that you get from this Ascendancy means you won't need to put as many crit points on your tree, so scaling attack speed is worth. It also has a ton of benifits for hitting/killing poisoned enemies. Real solid choice for this build. Probly my third choice.

Trickster: plenty of damage choices here, and some good defences. Not sure which nodes I would take after patient reaper and prolonged pain because they are all really good. Super solid option here. This would be my second choice.

Berzerker: this is what I decided to run as. Lots of attack speed, and a flat 40% MORE damage multiplier. Personally, I'm not scaling crit, but I'm scaling base hit damage and attack speed, so my Ascendancy points are aspect of carnage, crave the slaughter, rite of ruin and I can't choose between flawless savegery or war bringer. Both good choices. Pain reaver isn't bad, but not as good. Probably more a meh choice, but scaling attack speed is much super easy as Zerker, it's what I chose to run.

Gear choices:
Spoiler

A cool thing about this build is there are absolutely no mandatory unique needed. Everything can be rare and be super good.

However, there are options, such as two wasp nests, one wasp nest and a binos kitchen knife (this is what I'm currently doing. If I can get enough poison dps I want to dropelee splash but I can't guarantee this yet) for weapons. Wasp nest is like 5c each for high rolled ones (currently, mathil is making a viperstrike character as well so they might jump in price...) but are super good for starting out your character. Rare claws made for poison will be better in the end, but not necessary.

Cherrubims maleficemce isn't a bad choice for body armor but not needed. A rare one with higher life and %Inc life is most likely better.

Gloves, you have three options. Rare gloves, the embalmer (poison duration is JUICY as well as its a psudo 5link if you choose to have a second skill for mob clearing like reave or something) but I think the best choice is fenumous weave. Spiders web allies a debuf, hindering them, and increasing the damage they take by 5%, for a total of 15% more damage. Also 40-60% increased damage with hits and ailments against enemies with 3 spiders webs on them. That's a huge damage buff for 25% mana reserve. This is what I will use in glove spot.

Growing agony is the only "MANDATORY" for this build. It's basically free unholy might. And a little bit extra.

So for me, two wasp nests, and fenumous weave and growing agony are the only three "manditory" uniques. Of these, fenumous weave is the only expensive one around an ex or so the last few leagues. And once more currency swap wasp nests for two rare claws.

Coralitos signature is also huge. I forgot that one.

Oh, and don't forget chaos impresence if you want to run despair aura for free. Also a decent damage boost with 65 flat life.

Defences
Spoiler

Because I am player Berzerker and taking 10% increased damage, I need a few extra defences on the tree.

209% Inc life on the tree

As I have the major claw wheel, I have 10% chance to blind there. With thee points on the passive tree to silent steps, I take 5% reduced damage from blinded enemies, as well as I have 100% chance to avoid being blinded. I'm not 100% sure I will take this node.

I'm also not a huge fan of pressing a ton of buttons so I seldom use war cries, so instead of popping Enduring cry for endurance charges I grabbed inorexible. If I took war bringer on the Ascendancy wheel I would drop this node. I'm debating dropping it anyways, however generating endurance charges passively is nice, as well as there's some nice %armor there too.

Soul of steel I will get for sure. +1 to max resist, 5% phys reduction and some armor stuff is too great for 3 points for me to ignore. Take it. It's worth.

I'm also right next to acrobatics. I didn't take it because I want to be a little more armor based, however it's a really good node should you choose to go for dodge. If I drop inorexible I will probly grab this.

I will have fortify on whirling blades (it will also remind me to use movement skill for the 15% increased attack speed from claws of the pride)

Auras
Spoiler

Despair+blasphemy (if you have chaos impresence, otherwise self cast)

Malevolence
Aspect of the spider (if you don't have, then use herald of agony)
Arctic armor
As high a level of Precision you have mana for

If you want more damage and you have a lvl4 enlighten

Malevolence
Fenumous weave
Herald of agony
Enlighten

Still a little room for a low lvl precision (I think)

6link gems
Spoiler

So I'm saying this from memory, I'll fix anything at home when I get there.

6 link
Viperstrike
Multi strike
Deadly ailments
Unbound ailments
Vile toxins
Melee phys/melee splash

If you don't want to gem swap, you can run without splash in your 6link and in a 4link run something like
Reave/frost blades
Vile toxins
Added chaos damage
Multi strike

Extra gems
Spoiler

Ancestral protector+withering touch support
OR
Spell totem+faster casting+increased duration+wither

Blood rage

Any golem, as you feel you need

Cwdt+whatever you want

One of the new or reworked defencive skills selfcast

A warcry (specifically if you playing Berzerker+war bringer)

Despair

Things to look for on rare gear
Spoiler

Resists
Life

Movement speed on boots

%increased damage
%increased DoT
%increased chaos damage
Attack speed
+# intelligence
Flat physical damage
Flat chaos damage
Poison damage
Poison duration
Accuracy

Miscellaneous
Spoiler

If you can find an efficient way to run both despair and temp chains do it. It's a defencive and offensive curse. Or if you even want to run it over despair, do it.

Last bumped on Jun 14, 2019, 12:01:42 PM
Sorry if this feels chaotic, first attempt at a build guide

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info