How good is my wand?

Hi,

I am reaching the high-tier maps now, and am going through my equipment to figure out where I need to improve.

Now I am wondering how good my wand is. I bought it quite a while ago relatively cheap, but it keeps surprising me when I compare it to others. Looks like this:

I recently respeced my freezing pulse witch from EO to crit, and I expected that for example this one would do better there:

But according to PoB, the wand still gives me considerably more damage, it seems that 24% cast speed trumps out the crit multiplier on the dagger. So with that combination of spell damage, crit chance and cast speed, is my wand just some average one, or is it actually among the better ones?

Thanks for the advice!
Last bumped on Mar 5, 2019, 5:30:58 AM
your wand is still fairly average. Also note that the wand has 'fire damage added to SPELLS', while the dagger has cold and lightning damage that are NOT ADDED TO SPELLS

Cast speed is also a strange stat to evaluate. It generally adds a LOT of POB dps, but how much it benefits you is variable because you arent always casting.

that dagger is also pretty poor. Ideally you want a Kris (50% global crit implicit instead of 30%). And then you want spell damage, spell crit, and elemental damage to spells.

Alternatively, a scepter like this

would also be pretty good.
If you're running Freezing Pulse, have you tried a Bitterdream to see if the 7L from Bitterdream makes a difference? Just curious.
"
shoju wrote:
If you're running Freezing Pulse, have you tried a Bitterdream to see if the 7L from Bitterdream makes a difference? Just curious.

#1 rule in Path of Exile: never use that darn weapon.
#2 rule in Path of Exile: dont even pick it up.
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
shoju wrote:

#3 if you do pick it up, destroy it immediately! Don't sell it, destroy it!

(seriously it'll fill your inventory with worthless lvl 1 gems, which you then have to sell or destroy)
"
E_Zann wrote:
Hi,

I am reaching the high-tier maps now, and am going through my equipment to figure out where I need to improve.

Now I am wondering how good my wand is. I bought it quite a while ago relatively cheap, but it keeps surprising me when I compare it to others. Looks like this:

I recently respeced my freezing pulse witch from EO to crit, and I expected that for example this one would do better there:

But according to PoB, the wand still gives me considerably more damage, it seems that 24% cast speed trumps out the crit multiplier on the dagger. So with that combination of spell damage, crit chance and cast speed, is my wand just some average one, or is it actually among the better ones?

Thanks for the advice!

The dagger have added damage to its attacks - not spells. so clearly it is a bad dagger for casting :)
[3.9]Hasunic's Toxic Rain Trickster: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2712106
[3.7]Voidforge Flicker Strike Slayer: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2532214
[3.7]Oni-Goroshi Fire Vaal Reave Zerker: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2583978
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
shoju wrote:

Huh. I saw a vid from a couple of seasons ago where someone was running maps with it. Seemed like a fun time. I had actually thought about actually trying to run a Templar (Man, I hate the templar) for FP with it.

The more you know...
"
shoju wrote:
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
shoju wrote:

Huh. I saw a vid from a couple of seasons ago where someone was running maps with it. Seemed like a fun time. I had actually thought about actually trying to run a Templar (Man, I hate the templar) for FP with it.

The more you know...

Just for shits and giggles, I made a PoB of a potential Bitterdream build that doesn't look TOO bad. It's only good because of cold to fire conversion and some really strong gear, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

https://pastebin.com/Chhfm6QE
Stats: 6.4k life, 1.5k mana (MoM), 650k DPS with IceSpear

It's simply not a good item, still. ;-)

EDIT: Made some adjustments: https://pastebin.com/mSg4bbwc
Stats. 6.3k life, 1.5k mana (MoM), 1.8 million DPS!
The opposite of knowledge is not illiteracy, but the illusion of knowledge.
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Mar 6, 2019, 5:13:34 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info