Ideas for new races

So. I just got into racing and ofc I'm bad at it but I still would like to throw in some ideas for future races...

Race types
* Corruption race: Start off with some provisions and then do all the corrupted areas (the level of the areas must be tuned ofc), so that each vessel opens a portal to the next area except the last one that can either give a small reward based on time/position or simply a portal into town. And then the race is over.

* Masters race: Start in Zanas laboratory with some provisions and then always get "complete another masters mission", goal is to get as much combined reputaion as possible in one hour.

* Act2/3 start: Start off with all quest rewards from previous acts (so that you still must choose gems/rewards), and then head off, with scaled down levels of ares ofc.

Mods
* Flying start: Start off with ~15 skill points to allocate.

* Boss kill: Well, this is already in use, but I really like it so I list it here too :) and I would prefer to add the restirction that the race ends for your character when you do kill the boss in question.

* Normal: Only drop normal items but more currency instead (would require void league as parent)

* Timeless: Your time/xp/whatever is counted from the time you start your character, you can do multiple runs as long as they start within the set time for the race but only the best run for each account counts. (no common stash to not give mulers an advantage)

And last but not least: training areas!, it would be so much fun to have training areas for each type of race in the league so that you can, well, train for the races under race conditions...

/Kruff

[edit] Fixed spelling in tittle, although raves can be fun too :D
Last edited by kruff on Nov 6, 2014, 7:12:07 AM
anything is everything
Interesting ideas. Not sure if I'm a fan of some of these but its always fun to speculate on new race types. Definitely potential for a 'Corruption' or 'Flying' race. I agree that boss kill races feel awkward at the end when you have to yolo-rush the last few zones and then level up afterwards.

The idea for a 'Timeless' race or some sort of time trial has been suggested many of times. The issue is this is not quite in the spirit of racing such as any "First to ..." is a bit meaningless. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, just a different thing.

Training Areas: Always liked this idea. The main argument is that any sort of permanent training league makes actual events less special. I agree with this. However, when the signature race is something like Decent, then I'd strongly want some sort of way to practice. Even a 24 hour decent is very helpful and fun.

As for 'standard' races like Turbo, Exiles Everywhere, and BLAMT, I would love to have some sort of way to play these whenever. Be it a practice league, or private league, or I pay GGG lots of money and get to play my very own Turbo Immolation Exiles Everywhere league. GGG, make it happen! Take my money!
"
kruff wrote:
So. I just got into racing and ofc I'm bad at it but I still would like to throw in some ideas for future races...

training areas!, it would be so much fun to have training areas for each type of race in the league so that you can, well, train for the races under race conditions...
/Kruff

"
Throzz wrote:
Training Areas: Always liked this idea. The main argument is that any sort of permanent training league makes actual events less special. I agree with this. However, when the signature race is something like Decent, then I'd strongly want some sort of way to practice. Even a 24 hour decent is very helpful and fun.

I would think that the actual events would be more special as a consequence of consistently available practice leagues. Why bother practicing if not to use that practice to win an actual race?

Repetition/practice is the best way to improve, but there aren't enough events to practice in. Kind of leaves any newcomers to racing twiddling their thumbs. Sure, you could practice Act1->Docks progression any time. But let's be honest, training/practice/time trial leagues would inspire one to engage in that practice a little more than creating a new hardcore character with WSplit up.

The lack of events in this league and the delay in the release of the league hasn't exactly fostered growth in the player base. I think perpetual practice races would help racing a ton. I just don't think GGG has the resources/desire to implement this at all.
Last edited by Cataract on Nov 6, 2014, 3:38:36 AM
"

Came here to see if anyone posted something like this and was not disappointed
Current IGN: twitchtvTheuberelite

http://twitch.tv/theuberelite - I stream sometimes.
"
TheuberClips wrote:
"

Came here to see if anyone posted something like this and was not disappointed

Nice! Would you mind sharing some thoughts on racing too? Like say something about my or other persons ideas[1] for new kind of races...

Or about training areas, which seems to be a popular idea in general :)

/Kruff

[1] Some ideas from the first few pages of this forum...
* http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1074421
* http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/974345

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info