Can we cull the bias for fire trap already its really boring

Why does it seem every build slightly fire/dot/ignite theme the highest dps spell is always fire trap?

Righteous fire for example. You scale:
Fire damage
Fire damage over time.
Damage over time.
Area Damage.

No where in this list is the word trap so why the hell is fire trap the best damage skill?
And its not by a little if you try any thing else like scorching ray of Immolation as a 2nd best you lose 40% of your single target.

Like Jesus Christ is the fire trap gem factory lobbying for these buffs or something like wtf.

Like ffs I don't even want anything else buffed I just don't want fire trap to be the default answer for once.

If you actually want to buff something like Flame Surge, Incinerate, Blazing Salvo, Fireball, Firestorm, Scorching Ray that would be a nice bonus.
Last bumped on May 4, 2024, 7:32:03 PM
fire traps DOT is in line with many other DOT's including cold DOT or for example Frost Blades of Katabasis and is frankly inferior to both DD ignite and Wave of Conviction in many scenarios. Even lowly scorching ray is actually a better skill to pair with RF but the meta group thinkers don't think so. This is all provided we are talking about average RF+ Fire trap scenarios and not the much rarer case of scaling both the hit (+ignite) and the DOT at the same time which is probably fire traps best solo use case despite most people not bothering with it.

Its just that with fire trap you don't need to put corpses down and its DOT doesn't require ignite chance like WoC and its superior DPS does. It doesn't require standing still like Scorching ray with its superior DPS and defense opportunity. Fire trap is simply good low investment RF single target.

So even though it is generally slightly inferior to Scorching ray, WoC and DD for various different reasons (top end damage, QoL, etc.), it is used more often than they are if we're only talking about RF.

Firetrap also has the trap trigger issues (or investment) and getting eaten by AOE before it explodes problems that the other skills do not suffer from. This issue is actually quite annoying if you've played the skill for years and not broadly talked about by people who want to oversimplify.

IMO There's nothing wrong at all with fire trap. It it arguably the best pairing with RF if you account for aspects of other arguably superior skills that make them slightly less desirable. If you were to nerf it you would then just switch to one of the other competitive synergistic fire skills.

Just my opinion but don't be afraid to try other things with RF they are all very tightly competitive when you get down to brass tacks. Scorching ray is in fact quite superior in many ways (Infused channeling, higher DPS, and much higher exposure) but because channeling is considered a poison pill by the build fashion meta hive mind no one uses it any more despite being also a fun playstyle and superior damage.

I personally like both SR and Fire trap for different "feel" reasons and usually swap them back and forth I've always liked the "drop and move" feel of traps and also the "blast away" feel of SR. Overmuch is made about standing still briefly with SR and I say this even as someone who is VERY fond of moving every Nth second in the game as a primary defense. Infused channeling lets me be a little less hectic and makes RF feel cozy.

anyway just my 2c but it seems to me that most of your issue is being bored of using the same skill because its considered the "proper thing to do".
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on May 4, 2024, 7:40:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info