Ziggurat Boss Arena

Hello, A lot has been said about the overall difficulty of T17 Maps and their boss fights especially, I think the reviews are in on that front.

I want to note a particular design failure a small issue that makes this fight much more difficult than it needs to be and I think can be relatively quickly changed.
The entrance to the boss arena places you at the middle of the top left side of the arena. This is a fine, perfectly logical place to spawn the player given the stairs they take into the arena. The issue arises after the player has fought and/or killed the Abyssal Lich from Delve - Kurgal. This Lich's signature move is to create a chain of beams around the room and make the boss arena smaller, forcing the player into close combat with Catarina and the other liches.

The problem here is that those beams Kurgal makes which chain across the room also directly blockade the entrance to the boss arena. This means if you placed a portal outside the arena, as is common practice, you will enter the boss arena and have a grace period where you cannot take damage but be forcibly spawned into a beam of damage which you will need to walk through (breaking your grace period) to fight the boss properly.

This is uncharacteristically brutal for PoE, meaning that the player realistically either needs to know this ahead of time and place their portal within the boss arena, or beat the final boss of this T17 map without ever dying. Portals are integral part to the Path of Exile endgame and Hardcore is opt-in in every other aspect of the game.

I believe this is a simple design mistake and the entrance to the arena should place the player in the center of the arena. Is it illogical to go from a set of stairs to the center of the arena? Yes. Does it allow the player to engage with the mechanics of the fight and be punished not for dying but for improperly moving into the beams? Also yes.

This is a simple fix, and I urge you to enact it.
Last bumped on Apr 30, 2024, 10:56:30 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info