Let us hide white items in ruthless loot filters

It is very annoying that we can't hide white items in Ruthless on our loot filters. Please allow me to show/hide whatever items I want in Ruthless mode just like I can on the non-Ruthless modes.
Last bumped on May 24, 2024, 3:20:27 PM
+1, I bring this up every single season
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
I'm playing more ruthless and this problems is only getting worse over time.
Bump
For context on Ruthless filters, this is the reasoning behind why they're not the same as in the base game:

"
Chris strongly feels that if needing to hide gear that drops is necessary for smooth play, it sort of implies that there is some content in the game that is still dropping too much trash loot, and the root of that problem is what needs to be addressed. If loot filters could hide this, we'll never find and remove all the cases in the game that make it so needing to use a loot filter is mandatory.

The longterm hope and dream is that you simply don't need a loot filter to play (of course, it is still beneficial to highlight useful items so the feature won't go away or anything), but it is not optimal that it is mandatory to enjoy the game

(Source: Ruthless discord)

I still strongly support changing the filters because at the end of the day it's quality of life for the player who does not care that the item drops themselves need to be changed as well. All the player sees is the problem that is unfiltered items which is a worse experience
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
I agree 100% with GGG that an ARPG shouldn't need a loot filter.

Never felt the need for it in Diablo II and in fact find visually scanning through a bunch of drops to find something interesting a mini-game in itself.

I think people have been playing this game way too much and are
a. absolutely desensitized to drops
b. demanding every single QoL you can imagine in the book
c. not understanding the new player perspective
d. have the loot display constantly up instead of activating it occasionally to see if any rares/currency/uniques dropped

I also think a loot filter is power creep in itself and removes two very important layers from the game:
1. Understanding when you should stop picking some stuff up instead of wasting time
2. Understanding what items have value

The last one is really big and will be particularly true for new players who will be the focus point in PoE2 and if a very big number of them get anywhere near a community-approved tool and/or metric for value then trade will quickly spiral out of control as its a very strong multiplier to inflation.

If anything I'd like if they could attach some sort of symbol or way to distinguish higher-tier bases quicker with some sort of symbol, and that's it.
yeah this subject (and ruthless as a whole) can be summed up as: letting perfect be the enemy of good

Ruthless loot hasn't changed 1 iota since the Alpha test. They are not iterating on it because it was a huge flop and almost no one plays it. So they have publicly "moved on" admited in interviews that "that ship has sailed" They are not tweaking or changing to move towards this ideal of perfectly tuned loot drops this ideal where "we don't need a filter" isn't even being moved toward (not in any evident way at least).

So they should allow us to hide white "minimal rule" items. At the very least because constantly pulling them out of my inventory is unnecessary tedium that has an easy solution I'm not allowed to use while they're hard at work not doing anything about it.

Now for that "ship has sailed" tangent; IMO I think they're moving on because they perceive very few POE players playing Ruthless as evidence that POE players don't want a mode with balanced sensible loot drops.

This is a classic GGG interpreting everything through their own bias they've done this over and over rather than acknowledge that they missed the mark on something they always choose the cognitive bias along the lines of: "we didn't miss the mark the players just don't want it any more" The same bias they used to hand wave melee BTW.

Instead of looking at all the ways that they missed the mark and sterilized the fun out of Ruthless mode. Instead of admitting they made mistakes, they entrench and welcome the cognitive dissonance that assures them they they indeed made a perfect Hard mode with version 1.0 right off the bat with almost no need to evaluate the bad changes and maybe revert or reverse course on some of them.

The mode has had next to ZERO iteration, besides quickstep almost every change made to Ruthless has been a double down on the things that make the mode the most dry, boring tedious and unfun possible way to play the game.

But if I want ground loot that matters for more than half a day I have to play "ultra dry hump mode" that gets no iteration whatsoever.

Iteration; acknowledging poor decisions and fixing them is how you improve a product and also how you become expert at doing so. When you leave the filter as it is and ALSO don't actually tune loot so that its "better" by ratio, then literally nothing is happening and nothing can improve.

Intentionally leaving the game in a poorer state on purpose is actually whats happening.

The same way that "racing seasons will come back when we figure out how to make the perfect racing seasons" AKA never.

Perfect Vs Good. Good is currently losing and Perfects not even showing up for work.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
1eyedking wrote:
I agree 100% with GGG that an ARPG shouldn't need a loot filter.

Never felt the need for it in Diablo II and in fact find visually scanning through a bunch of drops to find something interesting a mini-game in itself.

I think people have been playing this game way too much and are
a. absolutely desensitized to drops
b. demanding every single QoL you can imagine in the book
c. not understanding the new player perspective
d. have the loot display constantly up instead of activating it occasionally to see if any rares/currency/uniques dropped

I also think a loot filter is power creep in itself and removes two very important layers from the game:
1. Understanding when you should stop picking some stuff up instead of wasting time
2. Understanding what items have value

The last one is really big and will be particularly true for new players who will be the focus point in PoE2 and if a very big number of them get anywhere near a community-approved tool and/or metric for value then trade will quickly spiral out of control as its a very strong multiplier to inflation.

If anything I'd like if they could attach some sort of symbol or way to distinguish higher-tier bases quicker with some sort of symbol, and that's it.

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't trash mods rolling on gear. There should be only a few or several drops per monster pack, no matter what level zone you're in, because, in maps, loot is ALWAYS dropping, so, if we didn't have loot filters, our computers would horribly lag out and/or crash, hence the need for loot filters. If GGG wants to implement a built-in, noncustomizable loot filter (because the game/engine is way too old to have a loot filter like Last Epoch's) they should make it where normal items, the white-texted ones, should drop until like level 30, magic items until like level 60, and no restrictions on rare/unique drops. If I was making an ARPG, that would be my call.
Last edited by Aulyx on May 20, 2024, 6:39:43 PM
Bump

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info