[PoE2] So... melee get movement baked into attacks, ranged get free WASD movement?

One of the first big PoE2 reveals was how the cool new rigs allow melee builds to move while attacking. But that movement seems to be fixed depending on the attack, and the playtests are full of people overshooting enemies with their big lumbering slams that uncontrollably propel them past the target.

Then we get WASD movement, and suddenly ranged builds can use whatever ranged attacks they want while retaining precise control at all times.

Am I the only one who feels like melee got the dirty end of the stick again? And isn't that super ironic, considering the whole point of making the new rigs and anim system was to make melee better?

It's honestly such a trademark GGG move to introduce a fix for melee and end up with ranged reaping the most benefits, I'm not even sure why I'm surprised.
Last bumped on May 7, 2024, 4:07:29 AM
I can't wait as everyone will force attacking in place option. Like whole idea attacking in place limitation=bad is strange to me.
As you said range will get most benefits.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
Have they said melee attacks can’t also move simultaneously?
I've seen strong melee in WASD isometric games but most were PvP.

Melee has things like for 1s you block ranged attacks to charge your next melee attack. Block and reflect attacks within a 45 angle in front of you and even things like bouncing off terrain to gain increased damage.

Most of all Melee had some serious gap closing and CC potential.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
Unless melee can reliably tank 1-shots, they will always lag behind the damage dealers.

Tanks. The name says it all.

But in PoE, at the highest levels of play, nothing is tanky. So it becomes a damage over-time fest. Burn down the enemy before it kills you in one shot.

One big problem is that an open-ended skill tree design allows casters and archers to dip into anything that's not strictly limited to "melee characters."

So unless you link the tank changes to ascendancies, you'll end up with tanky damage dealers and slow lumbering tanks with no purpose.

This is a problem as old as role-playing.

Quadratic Wizards, Linear Warriors.

It's a hard one to tackle.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info