Expansive Might does not correctly stack with itself

Hello there :)

so there is this cluster jewel passive called Expansive Might which increases my AoE by 10% for each second that I stand still, up to a maximum of 50%.

Lets assume a player, who has skilled this multiple times over multiple clusters boldly assumed that these would stack. Yes, they do stack, but the wrong part of it. When you have skilled 5 of these, then the 50% value is already reached after 1 second of standing still, But the 50% threshold does not stack, 50% is maximum here.

While moving:

While standing still for 1s/5s (no difference)

What would make much more sense is that the 5 second timer does not get reduced, but the threshold gets added once for each time it is skilled. So the price for a very big boom is standing still 5s, skilling it multple times should not be a speedup for the buildup.

But why did you not try this in PoB first before spending all that currency on identical jewels? Glad you ask, thats exactly what I did. In PoB each jewel gives me the threshold, so the 50% stack for each time it is skilled. And thats how I feel like it is supposed to work.

Here is a interesting post concerning this topic which was answered by Bex.

(https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/f9g4tt/comment/firmc51/)

And this comment asks about something ridicoulous like 100% explode, all I am asking for is screenwide boom once every 5 seconds ^^

So please, if you could have a look on this topic and check if it is actually a bug, I would be very glad :) If it is a bug and gets fixed, awesome! If it is intented behaviour, please improve the wording so no other dumbass buys 15 of these jewels and skills everything just to realize it does not work as described ^^

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Brunzkoata
Last bumped on Apr 16, 2024, 4:27:23 PM
Not a bug as far as I know. Any cluster jewel passive with a "maximum" limit in its text has that limit as its hard cap across all passives with the same name, no matter how many of the same passive you stack. Vast Power, another cluster jewel passive, has the same wording for the same reason. It was put in place deliberately to stop the player from being able to stack certain multipliers from these passives too high after Cluster Jewels went core. The original iterations of these passives did not have that line of text, and could stack infinitely, which led to some very broken builds during Delirium League and eventually some mid-league nerfs, something unprecedented at the time.

In general, any time the words "Up to a maximum of [X]" is used in the description of an item or effect, that is unchangeable upper limit to its behavior.

Hope this helps!
Fair point, but specifically this node was never changed since its introduction, at least not according to the history in the wiki.

And in PoB it is working as I understood it, so is it a bug there? I am not sure who is currently developing that? (it was a community project, but the dev somehow joined GGG, not sure?)

Last edited by Brunzkoata on Apr 16, 2024, 2:30:05 PM
That quoted post has no mention of maximum. Multiple copies of that specific notable, or any other notable that mentions maximums just makes you reach the maximum faster. If 1 takes 5 seconds to max, 2 makes 2.5 seconds (I assume rounds to 3) seconds to max and so on. Maximum means maximum, no way to exceed it for that notable.

As for PoB, it is in fact a community project. Openarl was hired by GGG several years ago and I think at some point they may have stopped working on it? I don't know all the details, but LocalIdentity is the main face for PoB now, along with all the other community members that have no association with GGG besides they play PoE. If there is an issue inside of PoB, then you need to report it on their GitHub site. GGG has no connections to PoB to fix it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info