need help with understanding minions & support gems

I have a golem socketed & I want to use poison support with it. poison support has 2 modifiers chance to poison & added chaos damage. The supportable gems window says I can use this support gem but are both modifiers supported? when I use herald of agony the chance to poison appears on the golem but not poison support. Does this mean that only the chaos damage is being applied? I’m worried several support gems have this caveat & now I’m unsure really what is affecting my minions
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2024, 6:13:40 AM
The character sheet is notoriously inaccurate. If a minion meets all the requirements a support gem needs it can use it. Chance to poison supports any skill that can hit enemies so everything will work.

There are a few nuances with specters in that some specters use attacks and some use spells so in those cases supports that only work with attacks (ex faster attacks) would work with attack specters and something like controlled destruction will only work on specters that cast spells.

If a support cannot be used with minions it will explicitly state so such as in the case of prismatic burst support (among others).
Last edited by gladiatorpie on Apr 16, 2024, 11:07:54 AM
You don't get info ingame if a spectre can use poison gems.

And for other minions it isn't easy to see too.

PoB gives u more infos, but haven't tried poison for minions yet.

So google it or use sth else.
POB is your best option.

Are you sure its not the other way around? Poison support applies to the golem but HOAG does not because it only applies to you? In the offense window have you selected the golem skill or you main skill.

It is difficult to know which supports are applying using the in game displays, particularly for minions, that's why I would suggest POB.

(Edit: I just tried this in game and you are 100% correct with what the ingame display is showing. Turning on HOAG is applying +25% chance to poison on the golem display and chance to poison is not adding to the stats when connected. This is in contrast to POB, which is showing the opposite. I'm not surprised you are confused, because I'm also confused. Someone who plays minions might be able to explain exactly what is going on. Minions, and particularly some of the golems, can have a range of different abilities, some have both attacks and spells, and some effect might one apply to a certain ability they have. The wiki for minions might have some useful information, https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Minion, though I don't think it answers your specific question. Hopeful someone else here has a better answer. I think what the two responses above have said are both accurate.)
Last edited by Belegur85 on Apr 17, 2024, 9:59:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info