Automation and Call to Arms gems needs to go above compared to holding down buttons

I remember someone from GGG, possibly Mark, mentioning that they need design their systems so that people do not need to have ahk and such tools to play their game. While I do get why GGG might nerf the skill automation on left mouse button, this does not feel like its a fix for needing external tools or tricks to automate skills, even when providing cool new skill gems like Automation and Call to Arms.

For GGG to reduce dependancy on external button scripting, the new skill gems would fare better if they would work in a way that no ahk system can ever compete with. And for that I have a suggestion for transfigured versions for the new skill gems that highlights what I'm talking about

Call to Arms:
- Call to Arms of engagement uses warcry when there is a minimum of 10 power to be had from the buff effect
- Call to Arms of life uses warcry while character is not on full life
- Call to Arms of magnification reduces the power by 50%, but increases buff effect by 30%
- Call to Arms of debuff uses warcry while player has a debuff
- Call to Arms of charges gains cooldown reduction for each missing charge from maximum charges

PS: I think the Call to Arms shared cooldown should apply to the linked warcry cooldowns only. The current version seems to say to never use it with General's Cry in the build.

Automation:
- Automation of movement casts skills only while moving
- Automation of before savage hit casts the skill before the a savage hit damage takes effect
- Automation of stillness casts skills only while not moving
- Automation of damage taken casts skills from cooldown when receiving damage
- Automation of full mana casts skills when mana is full
- Automation of unlinked casts instant skills that are not linked to Automation, and all instants are cast only after the previous skill is off of its cooldown. Looking at Bone Armor from Necromancy ascendancy with this.

I made these suggestions in Reddit already, but I just wanted more visibility for them. Other than their perceived push for ahk and numlock tricks to avoid using these, I am excited for these gems.
Last edited by Celd on Mar 19, 2024, 7:31:40 AM
Last bumped on Mar 20, 2024, 4:02:33 AM
If it is not clear why people can be mad, the problem is seeing the power gain from using ahk and numlock trick, because they do not need extra sockets, cause increased cooldown reduction nor increased mana cost. It's something that should not be part of the game.
"
Celd wrote:
If it is not clear why people can be mad, the problem is seeing the power gain from using ahk and numlock trick, because they do not need extra sockets, cause increased cooldown reduction nor increased mana cost. It's something that should not be part of the game.

based on the responses i've seen, theres 3 main concerns

1. they want to click less things, LMB helps automate

2. they have not enough sockets

3. the game has evolved in a way that self casting buffs is simply a chore or not feasible.

for example guard skills, its better to gtfo of the way rather than smartly time a guard skill which probably is not enough to stop you from dying.

[Removed by Support]
"
exsea wrote:
"
Celd wrote:

based on the responses i've seen, theres 3 main concerns

1. they want to click less things, LMB helps automate

2. they have not enough sockets

3. the game has evolved in a way that self casting buffs is simply a chore or not feasible.

for example guard skills, its better to gtfo of the way rather than smartly time a guard skill which probably is not enough to stop you from dying.

I should probably have been more clear that the one I wrote is not the only reason people can be mad. Like people can have ALOT of different reasons. :D But I'm not making opinions for most of them, since I do not yet know how GGG is planning to evolve the game from this point forward. They quite often surprise me with their designs.

For most of the things I can adapt, but the only real concern I have is the power difference with automating skills with outside of PoE sources comparing with the new automation skill gems. In their simplest form of use, the new gems are for noobs, because an expert can find ways to hold down the skill buttons that does not need for him to make the sacrifices for automating skills.

Now the thing is, it's important to let your concerns be heard. I've voiced my concern in Reddit and in this post. And in case GGG needed quick ideas, I've provided one way to handle things. But any more than this, I would probably need to see their reactions to the feedback and their reveal trailer for Necropolis, AND to play the new skill gems first. I dunno, there might be something that makes this safe and they are not telling it to us because GGG wants us to find the thing ourselves. The second possibility is of course that this was a missed trajectory for a feature. :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info