I hate running the acts

I have been playing POE for years. From Garena (SEA) > Garena (Taiwan) > International server.

Every time I try to come back when a new league started, the thoughts of running through the acts just stopped me from doing so.

For the context, I have thousands of hours in POE Taiwan Hardcore alone, so HC players should know how often some of us dies. Maybe 1 character per day during my peak days.

TLDR, the story run makes me sick, fix that.

Last edited by magic1231 on Mar 16, 2024, 3:30:17 AM
Last bumped on Mar 18, 2024, 3:46:48 PM
it will be a cold day in hell before they remove campaign...
"
magic1231 wrote:
I have been playing POE for years. From Garena (SEA) > Garena (Taiwan) > International server.

Every time I try to come back when a new league started, the thoughts of running through the acts just stopped me from doing so.

For the context, I have thousands of hours in POE Taiwan Hardcore alone, so HC players should know how often some of us dies. Maybe 1 character per day during my peak days.

TLDR, the story run makes me sick, fix that.

I have played POE before even POE existed and I am telling you that obligatory campaign is good.
"End of March makes 3 months and 21 days which is almost 4 months and not 3 1/2, get your math right hoho."
Last edited by Dxt44 on Mar 16, 2024, 3:38:28 AM
What?

People who don't want to repeat the campaign on their second character of a league, I understand. I don't agree, but I completely understand why someone would feel that way if they're not very good at the game and each run of the campaign is fifteen to twenty hours.

Not wanting to run it a single time in a three month league, though? Like... what?

How would you even start running maps at level one with no items or skill gems? You'd have to play the campaign anyway just to get some gear together, and even if GGG took the completely nonsensical step of letting people start the league at level seventy you still have to level up all of your skill gems, because you buy them at level one from Lilly and have to complete quests to make them available from the other vendors. And where are you even getting the maps you are running? You don't have currency so you can't even buy them from kirac.

And that's not even mentioning how you have to go into quite a few of the act areas just to get your lab trials done... what even is this thread?!
Last edited by ARealLifeCaribbeanPirate on Mar 16, 2024, 8:37:22 AM
git gud and do it faster.
thread solved
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
This is not a "git gud" issue at all. It is a very common complaint.

Personally, I don't mind running through the acts. I understand that some folks find it boring. My take on that is that it demonstrates what a great endgame PoE has. Take heart though. PoE2 will have a new set of storyline acts to play though. Hopefully that will make it a little more bearable for folks that are tired of it.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
It is a very common complaint.

Yes but it's also a very dumb complaint.

i.e how dare they make me run this content more than once, it's so repetitive and boring, i just want to do the even more bite sized and even more repetitive things instead.

If it's repetitive/boring is the main complaint maybe steer clear of arpg's
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
It is such a small part of the game. It kind of goes on auto pilot at this point so it is not much of an issue. I still enjoy the character progression through them.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Turtledove wrote:
It is a very common complaint.

Yes but it's also a very dumb complaint.

i.e how dare they make me run this content more than once, it's so repetitive and boring, i just want to do the even more bite sized and even more repetitive things instead.

If it's repetitive/boring is the main complaint maybe steer clear of arpg's

I don't see how it's a dumb complaint. All of the best content in the game comes after campaign, including leagues that you're introduced to during it. Incursion? Can't use atlas passives in campaign. Betrayal? Only one encounter in a zone, also can't use atlas passives. Sanctum? Only have "intro run" available in act 10, gotta reach mapping to farm them more consistently.

The list goes on. And I didn't even get into things like compasses, scarabs, etc which enhances maps further. So I can't say I blame anyone who doesn't want to go through the campaign for the nth time.

"Just run it faster 5head", you might say. I tried that myself once, and nothing burned me out on the game faster than foregoing literally everything I like to do to make the game enjoyable just to speed through the campaign. I get the feeling some folks who don't like running campaign all the time probably feel the same way. Some of us would like to not slog through the same repetitive content just to get to the fun aspects.

Every league is a struggle trying to convince my fiance to hop in and join me. A large part of that is because he's become burnt out from running acts multiple times whenever trying to make a new build. I wonder how many others are in the same boat.

I get that we should have to go through it at least once when a league is new, but it seems completely unnecessary for multiple characters. Chances are you have farmed the currency on your first build, so it's not like there's any reason to slog through the campaign for the means to afford mapping gear.
PoE players: Our game has a wide diversity of builds.

Also PoE players: The [league mechanic] doesn't need to be nerfed, you just need to play a [current meta] build!

MFers found strength in their Afflictions. They became reliant on them. I am not so foolish.
Last edited by Pizzarugi on Mar 16, 2024, 4:33:11 PM
I also don't particularly mind running the campaign multiple times. In fact, I enjoy the feeling of "godliness" that comes from running it a second/third/fourth time with basically the best possible gear and gems for that level and just stomping on everything.

But I don't think its a stupid thought to NOT want to do the campaign over and over again. At this point in the game, I have done the campaign probably 1000x or more. I can understand people being tired of it....its static and unchanging, and probably isn't anyone's reason for playing (or rather REplaying) the game.

I believe that GGG could have come up with another way for secondary characters to level, entirely separate from the mapping system that they would eventually get to at the same lvl 68ish timing. Even the D3 version of secondary character leveling would have actually worked wonders in PoE. They could have repurposed some prophecy lines to be used as a secondary leveling mechanic, adding depth and rounds to the IV and V-round prophecy chains and just having them be a choice during the 2+ time you run a campaign. Any number of ideas could have been implemented.

And those who do like to run the campaign multiple times? Just keep it there.

Personally, I wish the campaign got revamped everytime we get a new expansion. Its a shame that ALL new material is essentially focused on post-campaign and the actual 10 acts have received no real love except for monsters getting buffed. If the campaign mattered so much to GGG that they actively refuse to make a secondary leveling system.....then it at least deserves attention and updating. The quest rewards are still stuck in 1.0 - 2.0 times. Apart from the first quest, Fairgraves' questline is still entirely useless. There's just so much that COULD have been done, but hasn't been.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Mar 16, 2024, 7:17:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info