Overwhelm Physical Reduction - HELP

Need some help please, I'm running a bone shatter juggernaut build using fourth vow/divine flesh, I've just started running some juiced up T16 maps, I can handle it okay, however at least once a map a random mob spawns with "overwhelm physical reduction" and kills me so quick/easy

is there any kind of counter to overwhelm physical reduction?

Last bumped on Jan 3, 2024, 9:56:12 AM
Your defenses are not great, but anyway there will always be AN modifier which directly dismantles your build (courtesy of GGG fun police). Only universal counter is to kill stuff faster than it can blink.
"
Echothesis wrote:
Your defenses are not great, but anyway there will always be AN modifier which directly dismantles your build (courtesy of GGG fun police). Only universal counter is to kill stuff faster than it can blink.

It doesn't wreck physical resistance entirely, no. It overwhelms 30% physical damage reduction, which doesn't go below 0%. It doesn't affect other layers of defence which is why every good endgame build has 'layered defences'

You really aren't helping the guy much here, why bother?

"
Shaddowz wrote:
Need some help please, I'm running a bone shatter juggernaut build using fourth vow/divine flesh, I've just started running some juiced up T16 maps, I can handle it okay, however at least once a map a random mob spawns with "overwhelm physical reduction" and kills me so quick/easy

is there any kind of counter to overwhelm physical reduction?

You currently do not have a lot of armour for a Juggernaut. Vaal Molten Shell is a great button to have ready to push when you see your health getting chunked, and you should be able to sustain a higher level CWDT as Boneshatter

Quickest upgrade to your armour would be 2h mastery for 10% armour per red socket / 10% evasion per green socket on main weapon. Cloth & Chain is another little favourite because it provides a good chunk of armour for 2 points + access to a mastery that makes you immune to bleeding. Or you take the 3-pointer right next with Adamant which also provides higher uptime on Molten Shell.

You should also look into replacing the Carnage Heart with a better amulet and get a life roll on your helmet. That gear is holding you back right now.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
ArtCrusade wrote:
"
Echothesis wrote:

It doesn't wreck physical resistance entirely, no. It overwhelms 30% physical damage reduction, which doesn't go below 0%. It doesn't affect other layers of defence which is why every good endgame build has 'layered defences'

You really aren't helping the guy much here, why bother?

If you really need to know, I am not into marauder builds, so cannot help with particulars. However overwhelm work against armor too, and armor was the only phys defense layer the guy had, unless you count minor phys taken as ele.

Furthermore, I firmly believe that building defenses in poe is a bait and waste of time unless you go for one of the few broken interactions like recovery on block. The more you invest in defense, the more dps you lose, and some combination of AN + side content mechanics on one rare mob will wipe you out anyway. Unless you dodge manually.

You seem to like trying "catching" me on particulars like which stat should be what value exactly, but details are not needed to understand global picture :) And I was honestly trying to help the guy. If he won't go block with his 2H axe, should get more dps instead.
Last edited by Echothesis on Jan 3, 2024, 9:26:48 AM
"
Echothesis wrote:
If you really need to know, I am not into marauder builds, so cannot help with particulars. However overwhelm work against armor too, and armor was the only phys defense layer the guy had, unless you count minor phys taken as ele.

He also has Endurance Charges from Inexorable which provide more physical damage reduction than you account for.

"
Echothesis wrote:
Furthermore, I firmly believe that building defenses in poe is a bait and waste of time unless you go for one of the few broken interactions like recovery on block. The more you invest in defense, the more dps you lose, and some combination of AN + side content mechanics on one rare mob will wipe you out anyway. Unless you dodge manually.

Building defence is nota bait. My two Affliction builds have both done uber pinnacles deathless. You don't have to sacrifice DPS to build a well-rounded character and many mechanics like Spell Suppression are more available than ever with the addition of charms.

Unless you play a crazy ranged build that has stopping power with stuns / freeze you will want to have layers of defences if you don't want to just randomly fall over in maps. The people complaining about "random one shots" are the same people who don't believe in the 'layered defences conspiracy' and spreading that kinda information helps no one.

"
Echothesis wrote:
You seem to like trying "catching" me on particulars like which stat should be what value exactly, but details are not needed to understand global picture :) And I was honestly trying to help the guy. If he won't go block with his 2H axe, should get more dps instead.

This is the Gameplay Help section of the forum. I corrected what was false information and you admitt yourself that you don't know much about melee builds.

If you really wish to help, rather do so by pointing players towards resources that actually help them, like Carrn's or Ben's guides on Boneshatter.

And stop making things so personal, it's embarassing...
Overwhelm also counts reduction provided by endurance charges. Not sure what you meant by "physical resistance", but such term does not exist in poe.

And since lately you tend to rush and greet me with tales of my incompetence every time I post something, hard to not feel it personal :)
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Tai_GGG on Jan 3, 2024, 9:53:02 AM
"Your defences are not good, get more DPS" is bad advice. Please read my post again since you clearly didn't read past the first passage.

The point of mentioning his Endurance Charges was an addition to the question of layered defences. Just armour is bad versus overwhelm, yes. Having armour on top of Endurance Charges and physical taken as? That works very well. The smaller the physical hit, the better the remaining armour works. Overwhelm just subtracts 30% from the final PDR.

And yes, I will get technical with you if you spread false information. Maybe take that as a reason for introspection if you find yourself often corrected by others
Last edited by ArtCrusade on Jan 3, 2024, 9:57:12 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info