Dear GGG, regarding peer Issues with Deutsche Telekom

as far as i understand this is a known Issue with the oldest Threads dating back to 2015.

And the only working "solution" so far seems to be to use a VPN and "hope" that that VPN in particular offers better Peering. I personally dont want to use a VPN and i dont want to be charged for one.

Telekom obviously does not care and does not plan to change anything. i mean they had 1000s of tickets opened by German POE players alone over the years and all you get as a customer is the question if maybe you want to spend even more money for faster connection (which wouldnt change anything btw...)

I love this Game and i played it for years for a unhealthy amount of hours. And i played it even through the pain of these connection issues that only seem to get worse and worse over the years

Since Leaguestart its i think the worst its ever been. I hop between Frankfurt, Amsterdam, London, Paris and Milan in the hopes to find a routing that is working a little bit better than the others. Most of the time the closest (Frankfurt) seems to be the worst, but otherwise they are all equally unreliable

WINMTR of a Frankfurt Instance as example
https://pastebin.com/PQh9KJN8
around 20% packet loss
i include this because i know you will ask, but i think issue is known, my internet otherwise is reliably and fast otherwise. GGG servers seem to hit hardest by far by these Peering Issues
Telekom does not seem to like Gaming Packages....

Dear GGG, is there any chance that you as company could throw your weight around and try to lean on deutsche Telekom to improve things?
Its the biggest ISP in Germany, and even some other smaller ISPs rely on their networks. As a german POE player you are more than likely affected by this

I have probably several 10k hours played in this beautiful game, but at the moment its impossible to enjoy because of something that my little brain understands as packet depriorization by my ISP or other companies they interact with (Telia Nodes...)

If someone like my is pushed away from the game, hundreds or even thousands of other gamers are pushed away as well and they will blame your servers. they will just remember your servers as unreliable and they will blame you as a company to cheap out on your european servers

you are loosing business and reputation because of the business practices of big ISP on the other side of the globe with much fault on your own. Maybe you guys tried already. But please, throw your weight into the ring, maybe ask some lawyers if something can be done

Because this is just sad
Last edited by SelffoundHering on Dec 18, 2023, 1:00:21 PM
Last bumped on Dec 28, 2023, 6:38:51 PM
I am effected by Telekom aswell, the problem goes on for more than 10 years. Companies like cogent tried to sue Telekom over it some 10 years ago with no effect. Even the Bundesnetzagentur made an essey about the peerin, but didn't force a change.

There are only 2 ways this gets fixed.

1. Telekom understands than no other big player will pay them the horrendous sums they want and increse their peering capacity at DECIX.

This will not happen because Telekom ist still very much profitable and much too greedy to care about the satisfaction of their gamer clients.

2. GGG talks to their hoster and they figure out a deal with Telekom.

While it Is more probable but wont happen aswell in my opinion. German Telekom Customers who are affected are to small a group to go into talks and change the peering of very big players like Telia.

I am just hoping for some kind of statement by GGG.
Use a VPN. This way you can avoid the questioned routes. I made a reddit post yesterday which kinda blew up, and some people mentioned using a VPN, and I haven't thought about that before (neither did my boyfriend who works in that field lul, but once mentioned, we were like "ahh yes, of course it's so obvious")

This is a trace route I did 1.5 years ago https://pastebin.com/CdmVL79j (I linked more of those here https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3274559 ), and compared to a new one I did with a VPN on, you can see the difference. https://pastebin.com/aReK3isG
You skip the t-ipconnect servers completely. btw, the one with 100% packet loss/request timed out is normal, I got told that some hosts typically block ICMP packages coming from a VPN connection. They transfer the ping to the next host instead. I had 0 latency spikes.

not gonna advertise VPN providers, just can tell that NordVPN works for me, as they got some optimized protocol called NordLynx. Others might just work as well. I just use it, because I got it for 80€ for 3 years a few months ago with a discount code. What's good is that it has split tunneling, so only POE uses the VPN connection, the rest of my system uses my normal connection.

It's sad that we have to go this way to play a game... but I'm tired of these issues as well and no party seems to have an interest in doing anything to fix it, let alone acknowledge it in the first place, which would be nice at least. I'm hoping to get another deal when it runs out, so I don't have to spend hundreds of Euros a year just to play Poe lol
~
Last edited by moodymud on Dec 28, 2023, 5:19:30 AM
This works, but additional monthly costs on top of my telekom premium priced connection isn't very satisfying tbh. I would much rather give the vpn money to GGG directly.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info