Controller Input: Unearth's default targeting interacts poorly with Unearth and Detonate Dead

Hello, I'm reporting a bug related to a corpse targeting bug, which I reported here: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3438597

Unearth is a projectile spell which pierces all targets. Corpses are spawned at the locations the projectile(s) land.

Issue: Unearth pierces all targets, and as such there is no way to make a corpse spawn at a targets feet. There is no alt behavior to change this functionality.

Expected Behavior: Either Unearth by default targets the ground at a targets feet, rather than a certain distance away from the player, or an alt behavior targeting option enables this.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use Unearth in Controller Input mode.
There are a few outcomes on how the location seems to be selected:
Either:
Unearth spawns corpses at the players feet, if there are no targets and the player is not moving.

Unearth spawns corpses a distance away, if there are targets on screen or if the player is moving when they cast unearth.

Here is the spawn distance when the player is moving:

And when the player is still:

Here is the max range on mouse and keyboard for reference (please excuse the Cremation geyser):

As seen, unearth can be fired to the edge of the screen. It also spawns corpses where you aim, rather than at some set distance.

Additional Information:

I would consider this a bug for a few reasons.
The intended use of Unearth in general seems to be the spawning of the corpse, rather than the damage of the projectile. The current targeting behavior works against this use.
The default range when moving (which would be pretty much always in a map) is OUTSIDE the max detonate distance of skills like Detonate Dead and Cremation. See my earlier linked bug for that issue. This means you cannot easily do the following:

Cast Unearth at an enemies feet
Immediately Detonate the spawned corpses with Detonate Dead or Cremation.
If using Phantasmal Cremation, continuously spawn corpses at the targets feet.

Instead, the gameplay goes something like this:

Cast Unearth a set distance from the player, which in most cases is behind the enemy you target.
Run into range of the corpse you just spawned.
Detonate the corpse with cremation, or wait for the enemy to run into range of the corpse if using Detonate Dead and then detonate it.

If using Phantasmal Cremation to explode corpses as you spawn them, run away from the created geyser and cast Unearth in the direction of the geyser, hoping the enemy doesn't walk towards you and thus out of range of the damage.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Last bumped on Oct 1, 2023, 4:09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info