Controller Input: Corpse Targeting skills (Cremation, Detonate Dead) doesn't properly target corpse

Hello, I'm reporting a bug with corpse targeting when using skills such as Detonate Dead or Cremation. Possibly other skills have the same issues, but I have not tested them. This bug also interacts poorly with Unearth, which I may submit as a separate bug report.

Issue:

When using the skills Cremation or Detonate Dead in controller input mode with normal skill behavior mode, there is a very short maximum range for corpse targeting.

When using the alt behavior targeting mode, both Cremation and Detonate Dead fail to target any corpses, and effectively do nothing for that reason.

Expected Behavior:

In Normal Behavior mode on controller input mode, Detonate Dead and Cremation will target any corpses in a range similar to that allowed by mouse and keyboard input, which in this case is about the size of the entire screen.

In Alt Behavior mode on controller input mode, Detonate Dead and Cremation will successfully target a corpse and use the relevant skill.

I would further expect Normal Behavior skill use to target any corpse in range and explode it, and alt behavior skill mode to do something like prioritize any corpses near the living enemy you are targeting, before considering other corpses to explode. Or vice versa.

Picture with Debug number 3,220,796,830:

Steps to Reproduce:

1. In Controller input mode, find a corpse to target, such as one spawned by Unearth or Desecrate
2. Attempt to destroy the corpse using Detonate Dead or Cremation with normal behavior, starting far away (about one screen, and slowly walking closer until the corpse is successfully targeted).
See corpse not exploding:
Here Detonate Dead is attempting to be used.
(Note that the corpses in all the following pictures are spawned using Unearth, and are a little hard to see unless you maximize the picture.)

Here Cremation is attempting to be used.

As seen, even at close range, the corpse does not explode.

Here is Mouse and Keyboard Input targeting range for reference. As seen, the corpse is detonated an entire screen away.

Here is the rough max range of Detonate Dead and also Cremation:

As shown, the max range of the skills is incredibly small on controller mode compared to mouse and keyboard.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2, this time using alt behavior targeting for Detonate Dead and Cremation:

Here Detonate Dead was used right next to corpses spawned by unearth, yet nothing happens.

The same issue on cremation:

Additional information:
This alt behavior not working is an obvious issue, but the low max range in normal behavior mode is actually what's currently affecting my build that works in mouse and keyboard mode fine.

In controller mode, the Unearth skill, since it is a projectile and pierces all targets, has a default targeting range greater than max range of Detonate Dead and Cremation. This leads to incredibly clunky gameplay where I can't spawn corpses underneath my target, because Unearth pierces and has no alt behavior, and Cremation can not target the corpses just spawned unless you walk closer.

I unfortunately didn't recognize the issue with unearth until after a complete respec of my build. Hopefully I can know if this issue can be fixed in a hotfix or to cut my losses and wait until the next league to try this.

I will be submitting the Unearth targeting issues under a different bug report and will link in the comments after that's been submitted.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by Orivin on Oct 1, 2023, 3:49:20 PM
Last bumped on Oct 1, 2023, 3:46:30 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info