Fog of war / Map becoming unrevealed when exiting and reentering

It happens randomly, but feels like at least something like 20% of times:

Right now I just died. Reentered map. Mobs dead, items on the floor but I cannot see the map on the minimap anymore.

Nothing special about the map, nothing out of the ordinary anywhere that I could tell.

Last bumped on May 7, 2023, 10:49:03 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
did your HDD full...
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
No, huge SDD with lots of free space. But that's a good idea for checking, I'll go clear caches and see if it does that again. Thanks.

Hmmm there are no cache folders on my drive (AppData\Roaming\Path of Exile). I'll need to investigate this further.
Last edited by Juxx2013 on May 7, 2023, 4:06:53 AM
I found the problem and fixed it. But still wondering about the exact details.

Back in the days, when I still had only two 500 MB/s SSDs, I would split the game to one drive and the caches to a different one [1].

But last week I finally bought a M.2 5000 MB/s SSD which made that setup obsolete. So after data transfer I removed the old SSDs. And thus also the cache folder (by hardware).

I didn't think of it until earlier today when I noticed that I do not have any cache folders at all anymore [2].

I put the one old SSD with the caches back in. And it works again.

Now the question left (to me) is what the heck is happening below the surface? Looks like a stale link was left by my performance optimizations somewhere.

Bit of details for the technically interested:
Spoiler
Back then, I created a NTFS "junction" somewhere. This would work as a more-or-less invisible filesystem spanning hard link, enabling me to move the caches to a secondary drive without the game noticing.

This "somewhere" must be a location the game does not detect or fix on start but silently skips and loses functionality instead, I know now.
And it's not inside the real cache folder. At least not really. Or, at least, it survived deleting said cache folder [3]. Maybe junctions are stored somewhere globally in the NTFS filesystem.

Maybe a simple PC reboot could have fixed the latter? Or chkdsk?

I'll probably investigate some other day again. But for now, I'll keep an increased electricity power consumption of 5W and rather go play another round.

I'm leaving this here for documentation purposes.

- Juxx

1) SATA 6 GB/s, it overutilizes the bus bandwidth instead of under for a more optimal gaming experience. 500 MB/s is 4 GB/s. With now 8 GB/s instead of 4 GB/s it would not leave 25% unused. And yes, that works wonders, without any striping / raid0 setup or anything.

2) /forum/view-thread/3387409: My other related post searching for the minimap cache folder

3) (See the other post, I deleted the parent folder of where "minimap" should be located and everything but the minimap cache got automatically fixed by restarting the game.)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info