POE2 our only hope?

(WARNING: Last Epoch mentioned)

Hey I've been playing on-off casually for a couple years now, and recently had the chance to try out Last Epoch.

My initial thoughts of it, from what I've played over several classes, some monolith (the 'endgame')... it doesn't feel fun. Gear doesn't really matter that much vs the multiple multiplicative % bonuses you get from your skill passives. There are no real chase items, all you're looking for is maybe one or two specific gear items you need to get a build working which you'd get by farming monoliths. After that, it's all health, damage and skill level modifiers. But due to the high '% increased blah blah blah' you already have, going for 500% to 520% doesn't feel that rewarding. So mostly just health.

There's no real build variety, all skill selections + gear combinations are explicitly laid out (i.e. there is intentionally a low % chance of getting a fire wraith when you cast summon wraith so you have to grind monos for 1-2 '% chance to summon fire wraith' idols... why??)

The skills really make me appreciate the gem system PoE has more and more. Each skill in LE has maybe 1-2 variants you can spec into that will change the damage type, or make it hit multiple enemies. That's it. The skills themselves are bland and what you'd expect... fireball, summon skeleton, golem, lightning, flurry... ZZZZZZzzz

That leaves D4. I won't play it until it relases, but it looks kind of promising for what it is. The problem is, it is what it is. It looks like the kind of thing you play for ~50-100 hours, complete, then never look at again. It looks fun, but it won't "replace" PoE.

If POE2 is a flop then I'm guessing the ARPG genre will be dead in the water. But I trust GGG
Last bumped on Mar 22, 2023, 11:42:25 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info