Kripparrian’s Thoughts on Diablo IV

Streaming Path of Exile on Twitch: Twitch.tv/ActionRPGs

“There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.” ―Oscar Wilde
Last bumped on Mar 30, 2023, 2:12:57 PM
How good is diablo 4?
That actually comes down to every individual and how much they enjoy the game and not of how good or bad someone else puts their rating on it.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Mar 21, 2023, 9:30:18 PM
TLDR from Kriparian:

- extremely bad mechanics, specially melee
- short fun, which will turn into boring grind fest.
- same gameplay as d3.

70$ for d3 remake.

HARD PASS..
Last edited by Ivanovv83 on Mar 22, 2023, 4:17:01 PM
^Obviously not a reliable TL;DR

Getting around to listening to this now. I had no idea he did one take videos of this length. Impressively coherent.

I started Asmongold's take on this take and then was like yeah nah I don't need a fanboy filter.

Alright, about a third through and he is breaking down the legendary item flexibility. Aspects are fucking cool. This is far deeper than D3, to absolutely no one's surprise.

100% agree that the UI is bad, as though they put an inordinate amount of effort into the aesthetics and then just sort of half-cooked the UI.

Watching him criticise the all-clear dungeon condtion is interesting. I imagine quite a few ARPG devotees are completionists who do full clears by habit. But when you are forced to do it for a large dungeon...yeah, I can see why that would be bothersome.

His attack on the illogical game mechanics is great. It takes longer to put a jewel on a pedestal than it does to MINE ORE? Lol that's almost as ridiculous as fast crossbows...or dual-wielding them. Sasuga Blizzard.

The melee issue was sort of addressed by the devs: early barbarian is weaker because they can later equip more legendary items, which really is a huge advantage. But after this beta's feedback from Barb testers I would be very surprised if Blizzard didn't buff early Barbs and reduce the elusiveness of ranged mobs.

"World firstable" -- well, if anyone can use that awful term validly, it's Kripp.

Huh. He is predicting a Wolcen scenario on launch: complex system the community will break in no time revealing 1-2 builds that are simply exploitative. Fine by me and anyone else who just does their own thing but that is, and we all know this, a kiss of death for any multiplayer game.

Agreed re world boss flaws. I love how they work in XIV but always had doubts how they would play out in an ARPG flirting with mob scaling -- XIV works because when you join a world boss or an event THEN you are scaled down to the boss or the event. Scaling enemies automatically will always be messier than scaling characters contextually.

Final take is that it'll come down to how much tweaking Blizzard do between now and June. A lot of cool moving parts, almost all of them somehow problematic. And of course he acknowledges what any game tester already knows: whatever devs put out as a demo or beta test is already weeks behind the latest internal build, which likely lacks the polish and stability standard for public consumption/judgment.

I was never a Kripp fan and proudly found PoE before he brought along roughly three trillion upset D3 refugees but his value as an expert on ARPGs and his ability to share that expertise in an hour is hard to overstate.

I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 23, 2023, 1:29:15 AM
^ I was going to post something similar, as that is one of worst TLDR summaries of a video I've ever seen. It's totally inaccurate.

But given their post history I think it's mostly bait. Its a shrug and head tilt at best.

So yeah. I encourage anyone, especially those that know, or have followed Kripp, to watch on their own and judge for themselves. It's actually worth the hour imo.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
I enjoyed how happy he looked talking about his true passion again, albeit briefly.
I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
Foreverhappychan and Darthski - you're providing some of the best new content POE has to offer.

I mean that as a genuine compliment. To you.
"
^Obviously not a reliable TL;DR

Getting around to listening to this now. I had no idea he did one take videos of this length. Impressively coherent.

I started Asmongold's take on this take and then was like yeah nah I don't need a fanboy filter.

Alright, about a third through and he is breaking down the legendary item flexibility. Aspects are fucking cool. This is far deeper than D3, to absolutely no one's surprise.

100% agree that the UI is bad, as though they put an inordinate amount of effort into the aesthetics and then just sort of half-cooked the UI.

Watching him criticise the all-clear dungeon condtion is interesting. I imagine quite a few ARPG devotees are completionists who do full clears by habit. But when you are forced to do it for a large dungeon...yeah, I can see why that would be bothersome.

His attack on the illogical game mechanics is great. It takes longer to put a jewel on a pedestal than it does to MINE ORE? Lol that's almost as ridiculous as fast crossbows...or dual-wielding them. Sasuga Blizzard.

The melee issue was sort of addressed by the devs: early barbarian is weaker because they can later equip more legendary items, which really is a huge advantage. But after this beta's feedback from Barb testers I would be very surprised if Blizzard didn't buff early Barbs and reduce the elusiveness of ranged mobs.

"World firstable" -- well, if anyone can use that awful term validly, it's Kripp.

Huh. He is predicting a Wolcen scenario on launch: complex system the community will break in no time revealing 1-2 builds that are simply exploitative. Fine by me and anyone else who just does their own thing but that is, and we all know this, a kiss of death for any multiplayer game.

Agreed re world boss flaws. I love how they work in XIV but always had doubts how they would play out in an ARPG flirting with mob scaling -- XIV works because when you join a world boss or an event THEN you are scaled down to the boss or the event. Scaling enemies automatically will always be messier than scaling characters contextually.

Final take is that it'll come down to how much tweaking Blizzard do between now and June. A lot of cool moving parts, almost all of them somehow problematic. And of course he acknowledges what any game tester already knows: whatever devs put out as a demo or beta test is already weeks behind the latest internal build, which likely lacks the polish and stability standard for public consumption/judgment.

I was never a Kripp fan and proudly found PoE before he brought along roughly three trillion upset D3 refugees but his value as an expert on ARPGs and his ability to share that expertise in an hour is hard to overstate.

Kripp's video on d4 is really a masterclass in objective, level-headed assessment. All done in one take. I literally watched it four times.

it is by far the best video on d4 I've watched, and even though I did not agree with all of what he said, his take always has evidence that is hard to argue with.

"Huh. He is predicting a Wolcen scenario on launch: complex system the community will break in no time revealing 1-2 builds that are simply exploitative. Fine by me and anyone else who just does their own thing but that is, and we all know this, a kiss of death for any multiplayer game.
"

it's really because of balancing of numbers is really wonky. I really think d4 balancing wasnt done by someone who understands how players will scale and abuse ARPG toolset provided to them. It wasnt an arpg designer. Because an arpg designer from PoE, Last Epoch, D2, even Chronicon....would know that a hydra - a invincible totem that has 4 heads and can offscreen stuff...has to have an insane damage penalty or QoL kink because otherwise it becomes a monster

Going back to Kripp, Charan Im glad you've discovered how good Kripp is at game analysis. I've watched his stream last thursday night before the beta started. He went through all skills and numbers for all classes relatively fast, and was able to easily assess and identify strong and weak skills/numbers for each class. For a new game he literally never played before. The one thing he didn't account for is barb thorns, but he also couldn't have known the game as melee-unfriendly as it is.

I mean I always knew he was that good. I just didn't need to hear it about PoE because I played PoE my own way, and D3 only interested me after Adventure Mode. I remember Kripp's first real build for PoE abused Ground Slam, which made sense given it was an early PoE skill that had good AOE and scaled from weapon damage. It was also by far the most boring playstyle I had ever seen in an ARPG so while I respected the breaking, it didn't personally interest me. I have RL friends who break tabletop games all the time and it's amusing to watch but kinda ruins the fun for those of us just playing for fun.

Whether or not the DIV devs take his hydra and barb feedback will be dependent on how worried they are about that breaking -- or if they are going to be content to have their game be a 50-100 hour experience. Since it's not f2p, that would be more than acceptable a duration for a b2p, since they dont REALLY have to hook players for support the way a f2l does buuit if they want to eat that sweet, sweet GaaS cake, they are going to need to avoid a one build meta. Obviously. As I said, Wolcen had one (bleeding edge was horrifically OP) and everyone used it -- and then quit when the dumbasses who let it through finally nerfed it. Of course they did.

But unlike Wolcen, DIV is promising a huge world with plenty to do for we casual fucks so an easily broken meta might be less of an issue. We will see.

I just hope they don't start balancing as aggressively and reactively as GGG did and do. There is a huge appeal in stability and not having to read patch novels just to play one's favourite kill shit bliss-out pastime. Once PoE started 3 month chunks of hefty additions I was like well that's nice but I can't justify this level of attention and devotion for a fucking arpg. For those that can and do find joy in PoE's demands, I am so glad GGG exist and do their thing for you. I won't say I have better things to do but I do have more enjoyable ones.

DIV is almost certainly one of them.

"
Lord_Bakaxan wrote:
Foreverhappychan and Darthski - you're providing some of the best new content POE has to offer.

I mean that as a genuine compliment. To you.

Hey someone asked on an Asmongold youtube about PoE "2" whether or not it will still have Oni Goroshi which just made my day. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info