Amazing video about the history of the monetization of video games

Amazing video about the history of the monetization of video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16heGLKlTA

Its a bit long, but it's an in depth history and analysis of how we got here.
Last edited by Odif on Jan 6, 2023, 11:20:32 PM
Last bumped on Jan 9, 2023, 10:02:05 AM
Will check it out later, I did really like the video he did with Chris.
"
Odif wrote:
Amazing video about the history of the monetization of video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g16heGLKlTA

Its a bit long, but it's an in depth history and analysis of how we got here.

Hey, ended up watching this after I came home from the gym while eating lunch.

This is a great video that really analyzes game monetization from about every angle.

While PoE is not perfect, I think it really does stand above the vast majority of a lot of the practices examined in this video.

Probably take everything from here on out with a grain of salt since I'm a huge PoE fan and might be somewhat blinded.

While PoE is a free to play game, I do think it has an entry cost. It is more free to try in my opinion.

If you really enjoy this game, and intend to continue to play it after the campaign, I think around $20-30 is what it will take to get you going. I do not find this as some sinister Pandora's box of bad game design though, I feel it is more than fair, and it's much less than any AAA game title at launch for a game with over 10 years of content.

I think past the initial $20-30 I mentioned, if you increase your entire amount to around $60-70 you can honestly play the game like a power player, pretty comfortably.

Truth be told, I'm a sucker for perma upgrades, so nearly all my money I've spent on this game have been for tabs or character slots, and that level of tabs, while absurd, do make the game easier since it's less micro management, but you can very closely mimic my play style with $60-70 invest in my opinion with a bit of micromanagement.

With tabs out of the way, let's look at a few other practices people might not like.

Loot boxes don't work on me. I have opened many since I started in 2016, and I have never bought one loot box in my entire time playing. I think since they changed it up to where you can't get dupes is a much better method, but I can understand how it can be viewed as bad design to some people with less restraint.

Vault Pass, now here is what I think is the big one. To be clear, other than the current vault pass, I have bought the other ones because they did offer something I wanted. Headhunter/Arakaali's Fang/Mage Blood/Grave Bind if anyone is interested. I have not purchased the newest one because other than maybe a few things, know I most likely will not use them. Here is the thing though, I sort of want to buy it just in case since I can't get it again at a later time. Too me, that does not feel good, and feel that is bad design, not for them because it will make them money, but for the player.

Maybe this is hypocritical, but I do not view supporter packs the same way I do the vault pass. Honestly, if you could use the points you already have on your account to pay for the vault pass, I don't think I would even view it as a bad thing.

Anyway, just to kind of restate what I said at the start, I don't think all of PoE's monetization systems are perfect, but I do think they stand pretty much at the top of the mountain when it comes to them vs others.
"
sumfight wrote:

While PoE is not perfect

Lol ya think?

We jumped the shark from "supporter" a LONG time ago.

I did enjoy the small jab from the D4 interviews when they mentioned not having to "pay" for storage tabs. I snorted a bit.

Battle Pass, Premium sets, loot boxes, and less than desirable price points (a fairly good number over $60 lol)

It is what it is, but let's not get it mixed up here. And so we dont forget it, let's have GGG make sure to DM players and advertise sales, and when they open the atlas.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jan 9, 2023, 10:08:15 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info