Having a very hard time adjusting to new IPS monitor

So for the last 7ish years or so I've had a TN panel 4k monitor. I ended up getting a gigabyte M32U IPS 4k monitor recently. My eyes are a mess with this new one.

I've tried so many different configurations, but the eye strain is intense. I've got the brightness turned so far down that my old monitor is brighter.

The old monitor is 28 inches and the new one is 32. I've tried moving it around on my desk, but it still kills my eyes.

If I play PoE, and just map, it's basically fine, but if I try and do any email work, or even craft in PoE where I need to alt spam and read that is when my eyes start to mess up. I've basically started doing all my work on my old monitor and only using my new one for PoE, but that is not ideal.

I feel like going from TN to ISP and it messing with your eyes has to be uncommon since none of my friends I've asked have had this problem.

I went ahead and scheduled an eye exam as a just incase.

Anybody here have a similar experience, or even just some advice?
Last edited by sumfight on Jan 1, 2023, 9:31:31 PM
Last bumped on Feb 22, 2023, 12:24:17 PM
Don't use any higher than a 120Hz monitor (or anything that isn't divisible by 30), and you're fine.

Acceptable Hertz (at least, for ME personally): 30/60/75(!)/120. Your mileage MIGHT vary. Eyes do differ between people!

Seventy-Five (75) frames seems to be an exception. Works well with No visual screen tearing (Vsync on) at 1080p.
I am emotionally & mentally drained through the sharking waters.
Last edited by bvanharjr on Jan 4, 2023, 10:32:14 AM
"
bvanharjr wrote:
Don't use any higher than a 120Hz monitor (or anything that isn't divisible by 30), and you're fine.

Acceptable Hertz (at least, for ME personally): 30/60/75(!)/120. Your mileage MIGHT vary. Eyes do differ between people!

Seventy-Five (75) frames seems to be an exception. Works well with No visual screen tearing (Vsync on) at 1080p.

WHY
I'm getting the same one as a replacement to see if it's the panel or not. It won't be here till mid Jan.
Last edited by sumfight on Jan 4, 2023, 3:37:00 PM
IPS doesn't bother me, but it causes problems for my wife. Adjusting the amount of blue light works pretty well for her. More so than just turning down the brightness.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
"
aggromagnet wrote:
IPS doesn't bother me, but it causes problems for my wife. Adjusting the amount of blue light works pretty well for her. More so than just turning down the brightness.

This is one of my next steps if it is not the panel. I have f.lux installed, and at night the strain is less, but man the colors are very off from what I'm used too.
Finally had my eye exam. I was told I haver a very tiny prescription now and that I'm far sighted, so it makes sense why my eye are bothering me so much now on a computer.

Just so weird that it happened the same time I got a new monitor.

Glasses do not come in for a few weeks, will update with results after I get them.

As for the monitor, I returned the 32 inch and got the 28 inch version of it because I thought that might be a reason my eyes were hurting.

Honest you God, I still think my old 2015 monitor looks better, but it's only 60hz and the new one is 144hz, and it's very noticeable for games for refresh rate.
Feeling the same with my new 27 inch monitor.

My eyes are on the verge with it.

I think i will return it and buy some glass 24 inch monitor instead.

The marketing departments want to sell something without even testing it on the human body..

After i got my 27 inch monitor i started to have worse sleep, headaches and eye strain.

Its suposa be low blue light and no flickering, but i think its the size which tires the eyes.
So just a small update on the monitor and glasses situation.

I got my glasses. The lens they gave me after trying them out for a while will not work for me. I called and I'm waiting for them to change out the lens to a pair that will work better for me.

Basically what they gave me, I can hold my arm out and I can see anything from my head to a little past my elbow... I have to be so close the screen to see I feel my eyes are burning out. They said the new lens will allow to to be much farther back, so I guess I'll update again when I get those to try out.

As for the monitor. I tried two different M32U monitors and 1 M28U. I have sent them all back. I am still having eye problems so I know it really is my vision, but here is the thing, the eye strain is far less intense using my old 60 hertz TN monitor than any of those new 144 hertz IPS monitors.

Maybe it's all in my head, but I really do wonder if something about the way IPS presents images if it hurts my eyes.

Both the M32U and M28U had yellow tints I could not get rid of no matter what. There are a lot of people all over different websites that say this though, so that ones not just me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info