Hard Rock/Metal again:

Hey y'all, since the Wacken thread got some interest a while back, here's another festival for you to enjoy online:

Hellfest 2022

full concerts featuring, among others:

and many more - enjoy :D
Last bumped on Mar 14, 2023, 12:38:41 AM
Blind Guardian eh? Might be time for another play-through of Sacred 2.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Will I ever tire of every bard in Ancaria sounding suspiciously like Hansi? Fuck no. Sacred 2 is easily my favourite ARPG now. Open world with hundreds of quests. Ridiculous fourth wall murdering. Awkward voice acting. Very unique classes. Lightsabers. Strong mod community even now. Although I am on another titty quest jag, Sacred 2 makes it very hard for me to go back to linear, railroaded ARPGs.

Also damn you Euros and your incredible metal festival season. I have to go to a shitty generic 'rock' festival just to get 45 minutes of Sabaton. Please never take your metal gigs for granted.

I tried a few virtual concerts and found the Sabaton one very technically impressive but it was close enough to just listening to my mp3s that I don't think I will bother. After actually being at Wacken, it's all just a huge painful reminder of better times.

And filmed actual festivals -- even more so.

Edit: oh its free. And on youtube, to which I still sub because I signed up for Cobra Kai (lol) and just stayed subbed to avoid ads. Neat. Okay bookmarked. Thanks A.

I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 14, 2022, 2:38:51 AM
no time for wacken this year, but i will visit our little intimitate powermetal festival near me https://www.metal-on-the-hill.com/
the music may not be really my beer but just the location is worth it. And its always fun ;)
There is also a gojira concert in vienna at the end of july hmmm
in september there is the ocean playing in vienna as long as covid doesn't fuck this up. please don't fuck it up!

after that? we will see. depending on money i'm sure i'll find something.
Current Build: Penance Brand
God build?! https://pobb.in/bO32dZtLjji5
"
Spoiler
Will I ever tire of every bard in Ancaria sounding suspiciously like Hansi? Fuck no. Sacred 2 is easily my favourite ARPG now. Open world with hundreds of quests. Ridiculous fourth wall murdering. Awkward voice acting. Very unique classes. Lightsabers. Strong mod community even now. Although I am on another titty quest jag, Sacred 2 makes it very hard for me to go back to linear, railroaded ARPGs.

Also damn you Euros and your incredible metal festival season. I have to go to a shitty generic 'rock' festival just to get 45 minutes of Sabaton. Please never take your metal gigs for granted.

I tried a few virtual concerts and found the Sabaton one very technically impressive but it was close enough to just listening to my mp3s that I don't think I will bother. After actually being at Wacken, it's all just a huge painful reminder of better times.

And filmed actual festivals -- even more so.

Edit: oh its free. And on youtube, to which I still sub because I signed up for Cobra Kai (lol) and just stayed subbed to avoid ads. Neat. Okay bookmarked. Thanks A.

Sacred 2 still is one of my favourite games, ever. :D Also, that was/is an amazing easter egg. Just wondering how many of the other little jokes made it through translation (given that it was made by a German company)...
Spoiler
E.g. the "Prince Poldi" plaque on a statue which refers to a German soccer player.

And right, I should've mentioned that the concerts are free - I'll try to remember next time :D
Also, it's really nice to see festivals bouncing back and the season getting going again. And yeah, we Europeans are really privileged that we have so many and that most of them are within a day's worth of travelling by car or train.
Anyway, you're most welcome and enjoy! :D
I figured a lot of the jokes were lost in translation but enough of the quirkiness and self-aware quips survived (or were invented) for the English version to still be highly entertaining.

---

These concerts are decent length and very well shot. Not bad at all for free. During the height of the pandemic a lot of bands were monetising virtual concerts. Can't say I blame them (live gigs and merch likely made up the bulk of their revenue) but the worst offenders were imo Japanese artists, who not only charged for a stream of their gigs but occasionally applied the popular 'lottery' system to see who cpuld even get to buy a ticket. To a virtual gig. Artificial scarcity is hardwired into the Japanese mentality when it comes to premium events and merch, but it really beggars belief when they use it for something purely digital. Limited housing in FFXIV is a classic example.

So it's nice when something like this pops up to remind us that just because something CAN be monetised mercilessly, doesn't mean it should be.

At a larger remove, that Arte channel hoating the Hellfest.vids sure has something for everyone...
I may or may not have spent a great deal of this weekend hunting down every live version of 'Cliffs of Dover' I can. Eric Johnson is a guitarist's guitarist. He makes me want to be a writer's writer.
Arte is a French/German public broadcasting channel, mainly focusing on the arts and cultural stuff - so that's why their canned programmes are free, too. Another one is 3Sat (Austria/Germany/Switzerland) and a lot of Germany's public stations have "pet channels" focusing on different topics from news and documentaries to quirky/indie/experimental - which can be quite cool and interesting :D. So, metal festivals on regular/mainstream tv are nothing out of the ordinary. :)
The BG was a loooot of oldies. I have seen them live promoting certain albums (Twist, Edge of Time, Red Mirror) but I have noticed at Euro festivals they tend to skew 80s and 90s (Somewhere far beyond, battalions, Twilight, Imaginations, Nightfall). I much prefer the more bombastic newer stuff but I get why they would go back to their speed metal roots for a metal festival.
A bit of a surprise, but a nice one :) Also, the concert had the perfect length for the Lego set I was building. :D
"

Please never take your metal gigs for granted.

Charan there were no festivals due to Covid for 2 years and scalpers went for tickets like the did for GPUs.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info