Game wont create vulkan or dx12 shadercache folders so all mtx and most items are invisible

For some reason my game will not create vulkan nor dx12 shadercache folders. Only dx11.

So everything is invisible how to fix

I thought I fixed it earlier but it turned out it had switched to dx11 rather than remaining vulkan.

Last bumped on Jun 21, 2022, 5:33:21 PM
"
OptimistMind wrote:

For some reason my game will not create vulkan nor dx12 shadercache folders. Only dx11.

So everything is invisible how to fix

I thought I fixed it earlier but it turned out it had switched to dx11 rather than remaining vulkan.

try running packcheck.exe as "an administrator" and then start the game AGAIN as "an administrator".

And I assume you checked your HDD / SSD for having issues and file rights are ok here -->
C:\Users\"your windows account name"\AppData\Roaming\Path of Exile\
Yeah I ran packcheck, reinstalled, manually gave rights etc even though I'm administrator. Game is run as admin always as well. I installed the game on C and did all steps mentioned. Then I installed the game on D and did all steps mentioned. Both steam and standalone.

Dx11 creates the shader cache folder just fine but dx12 and vulkan just wont, regardless of where I set it to create them. Whether its on C:/default location or D:/manual location

I'm just using DX11 now since there is no alternative and I'm tired of invisible enemies even though the game plays at 50% of my normal FPS on Dx12 and Vulkan.

I ran SFC /scannow, no errors. Both C: and D: are <1 year old M2's. Graphics card is 5700xt it seems that's probably the reason. Nothing but problems with these crappy cards. Lots of programs dont even work with them. Half the time when I try to record a video, for weeks it will just be a black screen, and an empty recording file. Whether I try with OBS or my graphics card software. The recording issue may have been resolved with the newest driver, but the one I was using previously was only from the middle of April, so it wasn't like I was using a deprecated one.

Windows "Drive Error Checking" tells me "We haven't found any errors".

One other thing that might be related is when I go into Options>Game>"Click to open your filter file folder" nothing happens. It wont open the folder, though it still loads my filters from that folder. Permissions are Full control and I've also taken ownership of the folder.

So I think it's either just AMD being crap or windows once again decided to break via an update at some point in time. Though I feel like the filter part would not be related to AMD at all, just windows.

For a long time I didn't even realize anything was broken since I never really farmed maven, but after watching one of the uber maven kills I was like "Wait...why are there platforms floating around the arena? Why is there a rotating beam in the center of the arena" because I never knew there were supposed to be since I never saw them. I also figured maven just stopped your life/es recovery as part of the encounter. Little did I know that invisible beams were giving me the debuff.

Maybe I just need to wipe my OS again, I don't know.
What vid card do you have? There have been issues with nVidia 516.40 drivers, the latest one, and am curious if you are using that driver? Have you tried reverting the drivers if so?
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"
Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jun 16, 2022, 3:34:50 PM
Rx 5700 xt
Odd, I have the same card.

Do you have the proper permissions, ie read/write, set for the folder?
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

Yes I took ownership and manually added permissions. My post says all of what I did. Also as I said dx11 writes fine to the folder. It's not set to read only, full control is granted to my admin user as well as ownership of the folders
Last edited by OptimistMind on Jun 16, 2022, 6:53:52 PM
Sorry, glanced over your one post detailing that - was going through my checklist of what I would do.

Hrrmm - damn and there's no stand alone installer for DX 12.

I found a way to uninstall DX 12, for the most part.

https://www.getdroidtips.com/uninstall-reinstall-directx-12/

You would then have to do a Win update to get DX 12.

Note: I have NOT tried this myself. I don't know exactly what would/will happen.

It *could* be that something got borked in the DX 12 install or became corrupted. This is a really odd one.

Edit: Gimme a few and ill dig around a bit more

Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jun 16, 2022, 7:06:02 PM
So, i was goofing around and just want to make sure.

Shader cache etc is located on your C/users/xxx/appdata/roaming/Path of Exile correct?

Edit: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/dx12-shader-cache/m-p/523712#M155658

Hrrmmm Take a read ^^

Last edited by Aragorn14 on Jun 16, 2022, 7:14:46 PM
I noticed that when monitoring what resources the game was pulling from. Yes dx11 is being put into appdata/roaming. Vulkan is pulling from the appdata/local one as in your link. But it's not rendering like 50% of things in game.

So does this mean that it's not a shader problem? What else could cause rendering issues in this capacity?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info