Latest NVIDIA Update (516.40) breaks the game with Vulkan

Hi,

Immediately upon updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers (516.40) the game started having issues: Texture turning black, replaced by black squared, then reappearing Minimap "reloading" non stop etc...

It happens everywhere including loading screen (Loading GGG Cogs), character selection and, of course, in game.
It's not playable at all.

Vulcan 2560x1440 all maxed out, 3080Ti / AMD 5950X

Bug report: 4 065 513 157

It is also happening to friends with different specs altogether:
Vulcan 1080p all low. 1660 SUPER / Ryzen 5 2600 B

Bug report : 1 757 924 133

Switching to DX12 fixed the issue.

Last bumped on Jun 29, 2022, 5:51:22 AM
"
Enyxx wrote:
Hi,

Immediately upon updating to the latest NVIDIA drivers (516.40) the game started having issues: Texture turning black, replaced by black squared, then reappearing Minimap "reloading" non stop etc...

It happens everywhere including loading screen (Loading GGG Cogs), character selection and, of course, in game.

Hey there,

Thank you for the report.

From what we can see, and from what we've noticed after reproducing the issue on our systems, this appears to be due to the new driver.
If you rollback to the previous one, it's no longer an issue.
thats all well and good but what is going to be done to fix this issue on your end? as having outdated drivers is otherwise bad for your gpu and vulkan not working because we have to roll back our drivers is actually ridiculous
"
ThatDudeThor3 wrote:
thats all well and good but what is going to be done to fix this issue on your end? as having outdated drivers is otherwise bad for your gpu and vulkan not working because we have to roll back our drivers is actually ridiculous

We're still looking into the issue to see what can be done.
For now, the best advice we can give is to rollback the driver, or use a different renderer.
"
Enyxx wrote:
Hi,

Just updated and no issues here on RTX 2070 Super, did you try removing the shader cache ?

Edit: Described issue happens while playing in fulscreeen mode, Windowed Fullscreen seams fine.
Last edited by KnoT on Jun 15, 2022, 9:30:48 PM
I'm having this issue as of today. I had no problems yesterday after the patch was deployed but Vulcan is unplayable today. I have an Nvida card but I have not updated the driver to the newest version. I also play on Windowed Fullscreen. I switched to the default but now I am lagging and I have twice crashed to the desktop.
"
KnoT wrote:

Just updated and no issues here on RTX 2070 Super, did you try removing the shader cache ?

Edit: Described issue happens while playing in fulscreeen mode, Windowed Fullscreen seams fine.

Removing shaders didn't help no.
Happening with fullscreen and windowed here.

"
Henry_GGG wrote:

We're still looking into the issue to see what can be done.
For now, the best advice we can give is to rollback the driver, or use a different renderer.

Thanks for the answer, I just switched to DX12 in the meantime.
My friend will have to rollback tho (DX12 perfs are way too bad for him), I hoped it would be an easy/quick fix and wouldn't have to bother doing the whole DDU rollback.

If you need help with reproducing/testing i'm available :)
Last edited by Enyxx on Jun 16, 2022, 1:10:42 PM
Had same problems. It works on D12 as Enyxx suggested so big thanks to you :).
For anyone facing the same issue and needing to rollback here is a link to the last WHQL Driver before the issue appeared (512.40):
https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/512.95/512.95-desktop-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe&lang=us&type=TITAN
Last edited by Enyxx on Jun 16, 2022, 3:26:07 PM
@Enyxx, yeah that sounds like what I'm experiencing with the new driver also (516.40):

Flashing/Flickering Black Screens. Some assets loaded, others not. Like I'll have a complete black screen, but the map (not the actual level) will load up fine and I can see items and markings on the map (highlighted text).

It only does it in Vulkan though for me, DX11 and DX12 works fine.

But in Vulkan it Flashes and Flickers Black Screens. In-between the flickers or flashes you can see the rendered result. Sometimes the Black Screen pauses and stays black without flicker, but it mostly has been flickering.

Some weirdness to report is when I run my Laptop in Hybrid mode, Vulkan works fine (without the stated issues above), but as soon as I load up in Discrete mode Vulkan is borked with the stated issues appearing.

I'm not going to revert back to the previous driver because the other games I play the new driver is working butter smooth in.

If anyone knows how to make a video in Vulkan Renderer I'll record a quick one to show GGG to get this issue fixed. Unless a hotfix drops soon either on NVIDIA's end or GGG's.

Specs:

HP OMEN 17-ck1111nr
Intel Core i7-12700H
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU
16GB DDR5 @ 4800MHz
1TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
Windows 11 Home
Last edited by BiG_StroOnZ on Jun 16, 2022, 11:02:42 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info