PoE 3.1x - GPU Overheats with Global Illumination [FIXED mostly]

Hi,

Update: 3.19: With latest 2022.08 AMD driver 22.8.1 the thermal throttling issue due to GI is no longer there. (but GI still eats ridiculous amount of power and generates heat like crazy)

So I spent the weekend debugging and this is what I found: TURN OFF SHADOWS+GLOBAL ILLUMINATION right now if you have AMD GPU (not sure if Nvidia is also affected)!

Bug#1: bring the heat
Once you set Global Illumination *(from now on GI), GPU starts overheating and throttling based on FPS.
Workaround: disable GI.

GPU - RX6900XT
Driver latest (as of now):22.5.1
Render - does not matter Dx11, Vulkan, Dx12 are all affected
Resolution - does not matter 1080p, 4k this for some reason does not impact the issue.
vsync - does not matter, either cap FPS in the options or set it to you monitor's refresh-rate with this.

FPS cap/GPU temp with GI: (same on 1080p and on 4k)
60fps / 80°c
120fps / 110°C Throttle
144fps / 110°C Throttle

Once I disabled GI, on 4K I get a cool 67°C under load 144fps.
I have opened a ticket to AMD on this to fix maybe in driver.

Bug#2: Press P and hear the roar
GPU fans jump to 100% on opening the skill tree in game... I have no clue why...
FPS also drops, I am open for suggestions.

//Edit1: Got my buddy to test with his GTX1080 TI same results, less heat but still confirmed.

Cheers Exiles.
Last edited by Naki989 on Aug 23, 2022, 7:14:13 AM
Last bumped on Feb 15, 2023, 2:31:19 PM
Anyone with and RTX card can confirm that the same "cooking-mechanic" is observed?
"
Naki989 wrote:
Hi,

So I spent the weekend debugging and this is what I found: TURN OFF SHADOWS+GLOBAL ILLUMINATION right now if you have AMD GPU (not sure if Nvidia is also affected)!

Bug#1: bring the heat
Once you set Global Illumination *(from now on GI), GPU starts overheating and throttling based on FPS.
Workaround: disable GI.

GPU - RX6900XT
Driver latest (as of now):22.5.1
Render - does not matter Dx11, Vulkan, Dx12 are all affected
Resolution - does not matter 1080p, 4k this for some reason does not impact the issue.
vsync - does not matter, either cap FPS in the options or set it to you monitor's refresh-rate with this.

FPS cap/GPU temp with GI: (same on 1080p and on 4k)
60fps / 80°c
120fps / 110°C Throttle
144fps / 110°C Throttle

Once I disabled GI, on 4K I get a cool 67°C under load 144fps.
I have opened a ticket to AMD on this to fix maybe in driver.

Bug#2: Press P and hear the roar
GPU fans jump to 100% on opening the skill tree in game... I have no clue why...
FPS also drops, I am open for suggestions.

//Edit1: Got my buddy to test with his GTX1080 TI same results, less heat but still confirmed.

Cheers Exiles.

just wanted to say thank you!, my 6700xt was hitting 80c+ only when playing poe and could not for the life of me understand why every other game only hits around 70c but poe was seeing 15c+ higher, once i disabled GI my temps dropped to 45c, much appreciated.
my game defaulted to x86 version which caused all kinds of problems, so check that too, and yes i have 64 bit windows, weird stuff but it could be that i am not the only one
"
Valkirth wrote:

just wanted to say thank you!, my 6700xt was hitting 80c+ only when playing poe and could not for the life of me understand why every other game only hits around 70c but poe was seeing 15c+ higher, once i disabled GI my temps dropped to 45c, much appreciated.

Happy at least I helped someone else.

Have you also experienced the fan issue with the skill tree?
"
Naki989 wrote:
Anyone with and RTX card can confirm that the same "cooking-mechanic" is observed?

I have an RTX 3080. It's undervolted but when I enable GI the gpu power ramps up to 330 watts. With GI off it hovers around 220-240 watts.
"
LotSky11 wrote:
"
Naki989 wrote:

I have an RTX 3080. It's undervolted but when I enable GI the gpu power ramps up to 330 watts. With GI off it hovers around 220-240 watts.

Thanks for confirming, I now tested with new AMD driver: It seems to be more stable.

GI Still draws lots of watts and generates at least +20°C heat, but on AMD 22.8.1 at least it no longer throttles on 110°C by GI enabled, or go anywhere close to previous numbers.. (stays on 70-80°C, which I still tend to avoid during summer).

Either this is how it supposed to work, (light refraction takes a lot of calculation) or it is still bugged.

I do not see a ~40% power increase of your GPU just for GI to be worth it.
I am afraid to think about those playing on laptop with GI enabled...
Last edited by Naki989 on Aug 23, 2022, 4:50:16 AM
"
fxb wrote:
my game defaulted to x86 version which caused all kinds of problems, so check that too, and yes i have 64 bit windows, weird stuff but it could be that i am not the only one

There isn't any x86 version anymore. Only x64 exist.
thaank you my radeon 5700xt was hitting 110C but now 75C using driver 22.11.2
no other games did this not even D3
Last edited by fallonfairechilde on Feb 14, 2023, 4:18:29 AM
"
thaank you my radeon 5700xt was hitting 110C but now 75C using driver 22.11.2
no other games did this not even D3

Happy to help, I am also happy that AMD managed to push a fix to my ticket relatively fast.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info