Does the graphic card brand matters?

I was skeptical when there is a poe thread saying that there is a graphic card surge. I keep browsing the internet shops, and 3060 ti pretty much dropped from $1200 sgd to $800 sgd over the course of one week.

But I could see another big difference, in that there are $200-$300 differences between brands of the same rtx 3060 ti, so, does the brand matters?

My zero knowledge in computer makes me guess that the better brand rtx 3060 ti have better performance and lower longevity due to overworking the graphic card, thus for casual gamers like me, I should just get the cheapest brand rtx 3060 ti.

Want to play list:
POE2.

Yes I have been playing POE without a graphic card... XD, my cpu seems to have some integrated graphic card which is of horrible performance.
Last bumped on Apr 13, 2022, 5:52:19 AM
3070 ti now is at $1030 SGD or 761.47 United States Dollar.
On one end, I am afraid it will never be this cheap again, on the other end,
it might be cheaper the next week.
The chipsets are the same, but the brand does matter.

Its easier to rely on benchmarks and product reviews - two cards with the same chipset can have a noticeable difference in performance.
Yep, totally over league play.
The sticker on the outside changes from time to time, making it hard to track performance and reliability over the years.

For a while Sapphire was the go-to for AMD GPUs, then presumably at some point they had the bad fans and bad capacitors, and Power Color and a couple other brands were underrated good solid performers that emerged after 2013, and are/were higher rated in reviews. Then apparently the Sapphire label cleaned up their supply chain and started accessing fans from the same subcontractor as a different brand and are now competitive again...it's hard to follow because the suppliers for the dozens of different components in these things are basically all round dancing with one another.

And some former suppliers go on to market fully built units under their own label, especially if they're the preferred supplier for multiple current brands. A similar thing happened in power supply circles when Super Flower, a longtime supplier of capacitors and solenoids for SeaSonic and Corsair, began to market rather nice PSUs under their own label while completing their preexisting contracts with SeaSonic (with bad parts, some would argue, since recent reviews of SeaSonic PSUs >=750w have been 'meh')

Since it's pretty common for a company to have its own line alongside supplier status for other labels, it's not clear at all over the long term that brand name matters. But for a specific window of time, you could look at reviews and ratings online and come away from it more or less confident that 2011 Sapphire was overrated, 2018-2021 GTX 1000-3000 series were strong, and that failing those, PowerColor and MSI can do a really good job with either standard and probably cost $200 less.

And that may change next year - it's like wine vintage. 2019 was a good year, 2020 the wildfires in California destroyed the quality and taste of the crop so everything tastes like ashes...2021 better year... 2022 who knows???
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Last edited by crunkatog on Apr 1, 2022, 2:44:55 PM
I don't think so because built to nVidia or AMD specs. I just got a 3060Ti actually as xmas present to myself and my main concern was which one would take a EK waterblock because I dont like noises

My computer is silent with high end parts because it throws heat into radiator with three 120mm fans at 600 rpm
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 1, 2022, 6:06:17 PM
Yeah I think crunk really covers it best. It tends to be a lot more complex than brand x = good vs brand y = bad.

The last card I bought I wasn't concerned with the brand I chose but I was too focused on price and forgot to contemplate finer details and should have gotten more ram on the board.

The chipset sets the framework but unless you're really following the market closely its just easier to rely on finding multiple reviews.
Yep, totally over league play.
Brand matters when it comes to customer service.

What brand do I trust more to have less issues, or resolve my issue if I have one.

Because performance between brands is pretty miniscule and Id rather know I can get a card replaced, fixed, returned easily, over it giving me 5 more FPS.

So when it comes to parts, I usually try to do my best to get them in brands with the best customer service, especially nowadays when parts can be so expensive.

Of course, due to sales and availability, this isnt always an option. But if I can pick any brand I want, I almost always side with the brands with the best customer service, because I have had DoA's, parts break, things not work correctly, and at that point you really regret your brand decisions if you picked one that is a pain in the ass to deal with.
The brand definitely matters, each one adds their own customizations so it could be more fans, factory over clocking, more memory, better software or all of them.

Compare memory and clock speeds between cards with same chipset.

So look at the different 3060 cards, they will have different specs on them.
S L O W E R
"
ampdecay wrote:
The brand definitely matters, each one adds their own customizations so it could be more fans, factory over clocking, more memory, better software or all of them.

Compare memory and clock speeds between cards with same chipset.

So look at the different 3060 cards, they will have different specs on them.

This is very helpful for someone like me whom have zero knowledge in computer.
More fans are sweet, but I am skeptical about pc fans, you cannot tell whether they are good or bad until you used them.

I do not need factory over clocking and memory since I am playing mostly POE2.
If the graphic card software you are talking about is to help you overclock, silent mode, gaming mode, etc. Then, I do not need that as well, I am too lazy to click it, haha.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info