CPU usage problems

R5 2600, 16gb (2x8) CL16 3200mhz ram, 1050ti
Both in towns and on maps my cpu usage goes up to 80-90% then down to 10-20%. Before the patch everything was fine (cpu usage was between 30-60% all the time) My fps drops down to 30-40 and the game is stuttering. Any idea, how can i fix it?
Drivers up to date, windows up to date, game files check happend, nothing run in the background..
Have no idea whats going on
Last bumped on Feb 8, 2022, 5:25:52 AM
I was able to mitigate the problem by turning off the in-game Engine Multithreading option. I no longer get the wildly oscillating CPU metric or the stutters.

I think I take a fps hit, but my CPU temps are okay.

It's not a real solution (I hope GGG will fix whatever probably broke in 3.16.3) but it may help for now.
Softcore, solo self-found.
-----Currently: -----
Storm Call Occultist in Affliction
"
SunsetVista wrote:
I was able to mitigate the problem by turning off the in-game Engine Multithreading option. I no longer get the wildly oscillating CPU metric or the stutters.

I think I take a fps hit, but my CPU temps are okay.

It's not a real solution (I hope GGG will fix whatever probably broke in 3.16.3) but it may help for now.

Do you cap your fps or use vsync ?

If you don't, your cpu is used to output the max fps it can do (limited by the graphic card).
This can result in stutters when the games needs the cpu more (ie you won't simply loose fps).

Second thing is after updates, some shaders need to be recompiled when you encounter new/modified effects (like new MTXs). This should improve as you encounter every new things.

Disabling multithreading mostly mean you will output less frames to the graphic card.
Last edited by MrVaad on Feb 5, 2022, 10:05:16 AM
Wow same it's been terrible for me however disabling Engine Multithreading as previously mentioned seems to have worked
I found that turning off engine multithreading helped the CPU spikes as well. Never had this issue before the SotA patch, but now just standing in my hideout I get spikes constantly. To mitigate the FPS loss from turning off multithreading I swapped to the Vulkan Beta instead of DX11 renderer. This got me about 10ish fps back but still took over a 30fps hit on average.
its engine multithreading failing after last update
Donno if we have the same exact problem but I have a 3060ti, I5 11400f (multithreading on, DX 11, capped the game at 100 fps) and for some reason every time I open the client/game for the first time after let's says 2 hours or so of not playing it, the game lag like crazy and fps contently up and down (100 to 30). The solution I randomly found was to close the client/game completely and reopen it and the game runs fine, dunno why or what is the issue but maybe this can help you for now.

I Also texted it on my other PC that has a 2070super I7 11th gen, and both PC have the same problem
Last edited by Meowpeh on Feb 6, 2022, 5:50:47 PM
i have to keep closing and opening game 100 time then somehow its working but if i close it and run it again multithreading is gonna stop working again
same issue, really hope they find the bug asap :)
Try this (works for me):

* Press Win+R
* Type in powercfg.cpl and hit return
* Select the High Performance plan
* Click Change plan settings for the High Performance plan
* Click Change advanced power settings
* Open Processor power management
* Open Minimum processor state
* Change Minimum processor state to 70%
* Hit OK button

Edit: corrected instructions
Last edited by Nightyb on Feb 8, 2022, 10:07:24 PM