Herald of Ash overkill burn damage

Hello!

I tested the scaling of the Herald of Ash overkill burn damage, specifically if it is affected by modifiers to damage over time like it says on the gem. It looks like the DoT dps of the burn is not affected by such modifiers.

We tested this by using the Writhing Jar, putting about 10 worms next to a boss. We then used discharge with an average hit of 100k on a tier 5 map boss (Glacier in this case). According to PoeDB this boss has around 870k hp. The build, according to Path of Building, has 300k DoT dps with an overkill hit of 75k, because the worms have 25k hp. (I imported my character GrimDawnDLCSaleWhen, ignore the name :D). My DoT has ~10s duration, so we should see the boss die in 2-3 seconds of burning.

What happened instead was that the total damage we dealt with ONLY the burn was around 31% of the boss' total health (we measured this by counting pixels after screenshotting the health bar before and after). This means that (if the boss truly had 870k hp), we dealt around 270k total damage with our burn, or ~27k DoT dps.

This is almost exactly the same as the base burning damage our HoA dot has in PoB, before it is scaled by any modifiers (so increased burning damage, more burning damage, increased fire/elemental damage, increased damage taken, etc).

I am aware, however, that my testing is very imprecise. But I just wanted to mention what I observed.

PS.
Here is our 'picture' where we calculated the percentage of damage dealt to the map boss. The green bar on the second health bar is the damage of 3x the hit of discharge, so we counted the pixels from the right of the green bar to the end of the health bar.

Last bumped on Aug 14, 2022, 12:32:51 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Been trying a Herald of Ash overkill build, and yeah... this has been my experience as well. Herald of Ash is definitely doing damage, but it's not scaling at all like it should or how PoB says.
Can confirm this. Herald of Ash is pretty clearly not doing anywhere near the damage it should be. I just made a build around scaling HoA with DoT multipliers/damage, and have been seeing the damage is at least 10x worse than it should be, so the build is completely useless. :/
Thanks for your report, I'll pass this on.
A couple of things to add:

PoB calculates HoA damage incorrectly, applying fire damage / elemental damage to it which it should not as the HoA burn is not affected by fire damage, as well as things like area damage. So when calculating the expected damage, the PoB damage has to be recalculated removing those.

It's also possible that my assumption of how HoA damage calculates is wrong. I'm assuming (but rather confident) that DoT Multi, Fire DoT Multi, % Burning Damage, and % Damage over Time (including both modifiers on the Lasting Impression cluster jewel notable) apply. I'm also assuming that the only four support gems that would impact Herald of Ash damage are Burning Damage, Efficacy, Less Duration, and Swift Affliction, but am assuming that all four of those should apply.

I'm less confident but am assuming that generic damage such as Aspect of Carnage and Minion Damage when taking Spiritual Aid should apply as those would impact damage over time. This would also include things like "Herald Skills deal #% increased damage" from the small cluster passives, the "Damage while you have a herald" nodes, the "#% Increased Herald of Ash Damage" helm enchant, as well as cluster notables like Empowered Envoy.

Even if the generic damages don't work (which would be odd for at least the herald nodes and helm enchant...), the damage still does feel much lower than it should be while I've been testing this build.
I tried to do a similar concept recently and also am not sure why my damage is so low - I only counted increased damage over time and burning damage as possible modifiers to herald of ash (which, got over 100m dps), but I'm barely doing any damage against bosses. I wonder if there's an issue with how worms interact with herald of ash.
[2.1] Harvest Blade Vortex - 70% phys mitigation perma flask build
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1564887
[1.2] Naked Marauder Build - end game build with no clothes!
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1031339
Looks like 3.19 fixes that DoT Multi no longer applies. I wonder if there's also something like increases to DoT also aren't applying? I feel like there was a fair bit more damage missing than just the ~100% more you'd get from DoT multi.
We actually did it boys! Lets go!
I knew it, all my people i know laughed at me because i tried a discharge overkill herald of ash worm jar build and the overkill did way too low damage, so i changed my build too ignite.

Im guessing this was was presend in 3.16 were i tried it.

Still 3.19 patch: "Fixed a bug where the overkill burning damage from Herald of Ash was not affected by modifiers to Damage over Time multiplier."

But only the "modifiers to Damage over Time multiplier"
seemed too be buggy, still i somehow doubt that the damage from overkilled worm jars too the overkill herald of ash burn is correct, but i gues testing it in 3.19 we will see.

Also whats up with PoB calculating Herald of Ash damage wrong (like Kapps posted before, the burn dot should not scale with elemental damage/ fire damage increases (only damage over time increases) or it would double dip etc.) + also why can you only put up too 999999 damage on the PoB as overkill damage anyone know ?

Thanks btw too PoroSn4x for posting the bug report and Path of Exile for fixing it, if "modifiers to Damage over Time multiplier" was the only bug if not pls look at it again ; )
Last edited by Zarugarr on Aug 14, 2022, 1:08:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info