Talking to outside from psychiatry

Hi guys!
I am currently in psychiatry and taking medication to calm me down and to make me stop hearing voices.
How has your week been?
Last edited by FriendlyPikachu on Apr 26, 2021, 4:09:22 AM
Last bumped on May 12, 2021, 5:51:11 PM
I have a background in psychology. I specialize in behavior management. I'm also not sure what you mean with your post. Please explain.
Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt. ~Sun Tzu
Sucks if it's true. Sometimes it be that way

Here's hoping you have the best docs in your corner. A good provider who knows you, sick and well, is worth all the miracles in the world. Same with a good friend and a good neighbour, someone who knows you and can speak up for you when you can't, is more than most of us can hope for.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
I've been on risperdal for years. I still hear voices sometimes, but they're good voices that usually make me laugh.

I've learned to coexist with the voices, and consider them to be more positive than negative. Voices sometimes humor me, and entertain me, especially when I'm bored. It does require some self control to not repeat what the voices are saying in certain situations. A lot of what they say would certainly be considered to be a terms of usage violation on these forums. I was in a store the other day getting some groceries, and this woman was in line in front of me with a baby that wouldn't shut up, and the woman was just really unappealing to me for some reason, and the voices in my head said something a lot of you would find extremely deranged, and I chucked for a moment and just went about my day. In a way, the voices sorta helped me alleviate the frustration of the situation, and take my mind off the disgustingly annoying woman and her baby. Needless to say, but I learned to acquire a sick sense of humor partly because of the voices.

Unfortunately, there isn't a medication you can give someone to miraculously infuse them with empathy they don't otherwise have.

I had an MRI done on my brain years ago, and they said my brain was abnormal in certain areas, consistent with someone who's psychotic.

I still occasionally have outbreaks of rage that are pretty much impossible for me to suppress, but only occur in short spurts. I destroyed my phone the other day, because people kept calling/texting me, and I just took the phone and pitched it into hardwood flooring, and then punched a door jam right afterwards. And that was it. It was just a momentary lapse of brutal, animalistic rage. Without the medications, it could have been worse. It's a burning, unquenchable desire to destroy. What they call the "warrior gene", I got it. And having that gene isn't considered to be a good thing, FYI. People with that gene have a tendency to be violent and antisocial. Medications can help you take more control.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 30, 2021, 8:22:14 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
It was just a momentary lapse of brutal, animalistic rage. Without the medications, it could have been worse.

More likely without the medications it would have been better. There's no special schizo medications, they just use seizure ones that numb and mess with your brain. They had me on some for a couple weeks a few years ago, what they were doing to me I disliked a lot more than the scared scramble brain though.

I feel like unless it's gonna kill you it's best to just let your body function naturally.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
LV9999Majin wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
It was just a momentary lapse of brutal, animalistic rage. Without the medications, it could have been worse.

More likely without the medications it would have been better. There's no special schizo medications, they just use seizure ones that numb and mess with your brain. They had me on some for a couple weeks a few years ago, what they were doing to me I disliked a lot more than the scared scramble brain though.

I feel like unless it's gonna kill you it's best to just let your body function naturally.

They definitely help suppress my rage.

I remember how I was as a teenager, before I was put on medications (or incorrect meds/misdiagnosis), and I got suspended and expelled from multiple schools. I even got thrown out of a military school that was designed for problematic kids like me, because I beat another kid up so bad, that he required surgery, and his parents were going to sue unless I was expelled. It was a weekend, and something just snapped in me, don't remember the exact trigger, but I went out into the hallway and started kicking on people's doors calling out anyone who wanted to fight. Someone tried, and ended up in casts, took quite a few people to get me to the ground, they had to get the nurse to give me a tranquilizer shot to calm me down, because I was aggressively trying to break free, and the police were called, etc. I was lucky I didn't go to jail. This is what happens when I'm not on meds.

As I got older, and they figured out what worked for me, and what didn't, along with appropriate dosages, I've more or less been a functional member of society, meaning works and keeps a job without too many major issues.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Apr 30, 2021, 9:01:37 PM
Makes sense, it worked the exact opposite for me. I'd never had any type of anger issues until I was on medications. Woke up one night next to my bed on my knees, just railing the shit out of my thighs as hard as I could, tons of junk was knocked over and thrown around. Scared the hell out of me and I've refused any types of meds since.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
I used to be on all sorts of shit when young then I took up cross county. Probably still nuts but a run calms me down. I set heart rate monitor for 80% of max HR for 45 min and just go. I got seriously depressed when I broke a few bones racing MX and couldnt run.. Had to get on welbutrin again.

I'm a strong believer in healthy body healthy mind..

I mean everything. What you eat breath and exercise. Most of us eat poison..prcessed foods and shit...meat too much bloated with corn and animal depression. Breath is car fumes. Or worse even self medicate with legal and illegal stuff. Humans not made to live life like that. Evolutionary we ate healthy, breathed clean air and OFC exercised daily until about 100-200 years ago. Thats why we are all getting nuts. IMO
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 30, 2021, 11:39:01 PM
"
LV9999Majin wrote:
Makes sense, it worked the exact opposite for me. I'd never had any type of anger issues until I was on medications. Woke up one night next to my bed on my knees, just railing the shit out of my thighs as hard as I could, tons of junk was knocked over and thrown around. Scared the hell out of me and I've refused any types of meds since.

Yeah, there was a period where they were testing various stuff on me, and some of the stuff had adverse side effects. Every individual's chemistry is different and what works for one might not work for another, etc. In some cases, certain individuals aren't treatable at all with current medications.

Last time I had my meds adjusted, they lowered the dosage on some of them, and now they're pretty much in order.

I was born with anger management issues. Even as a kid, I knew that other kids got mad too, but just not as mad as I did, and not at the same types of things that I did, just based on simple observation.

My parents knew there was something seriously wrong with me when I was about 6 years old. There was this flowering bush outside, and these little butterflies would swarm these bushes, and I remember just spending hours outside grabbing these butterflies and pulling the wings off them. Got another kid in the neighborhood to join me, and we played flick football with de-winged butterfly abdomens, used our fingers to make goal posts and try to flick one in between the posts.

Turns out, I got a family history of mental cases, on both sides of my family. Several relatives a couple generations ago who died in asylums based on the genealogy research we did. Seems to have skipped my dad, and went to me. So yes, behavioral traits can absolutely be inherited.
Healthy minds and healthy bodies are a good goal but let's remember that it took us millennia to get to a point where we as a society accept that mental disorders are actual organic problems with actual genetic and physiologic causes, that affect fellow human beings, and not curses, demonic possession, personal failings, or God's punishment for horrific sins.

They're ultimately just bad genetic RNG.

They are real. Exercise and proper nutrition help about as much as they would help support a person's general health if they were suffering from cancer, or lupus, or any other chronic, progresssive systemic disease. But they don't cure many of these problems. And in most cases, they can't really prevent it.

Even after acknowledging that disorders of the mind are real medical problems, the development of effective treatments has lagged far behind other types of medical research.

part of it is the "March of Dimes" effect. Little kids with leg braces and open heart surgeries now shown playing basketball is inspiring and endearing. Old folks gnarled with arthritis, now out in the sunshine gardening nearly pain-free, that tugs at our heartstrings.

A 260-lb young adult male rampaging through a group home with a steel shower curtain rod, a woman driving into a lake with her 2 children hogtied and gagged in the backseat, a squalid flat strewn with garbage and human waste where teens lie in filth huffing chemicals...not really the kinds of heart-wrenching and hopeful tales to get the ordinary public to open their wallets and pour money at research and care funds. Until recently, out of sight, out of mind.

So mental health and addiction have been more or less a big 'black box' of unknowns and stigmas well past the time when we should be doing better.

And the treatments we do have, right now, are primarily aimed at protecting society from mentally ill people, and therapeutic improvement in functional status has only been an afterthought. It's why so many antipsychotics are, first and foremost, tranquilizers. It's also why there's relatively fewer accepted firstline treatments - so many of the older ones are being removed from formularies because they have disabling, even grave side-effects and permanent sequelae.

That is beginning to change, but again, because psychiatric illness does not tug at people's heartstrings the same way muscular dystrophy and childhood leukemia do, progress and funding are SLOW. There's no cure, so it's very unlikely former sufferers will suddenly appear having turned their lives around, made millions, and created lucrative and lasting endowments for these diseases. But we know we can do better.

At the end of the day the true measure of a great civilization is how it treats its most vulnerable and least valued citizens.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info