Secret tip of rubber gloves.

With covid and all I discovered how to get you hands clean. Today I was painting my garage floor with this nasty paint - a two part epoxy - o sherwin willaims armor seal epoxy. Anyway f course I didnt wear gloves or my "work clothes" as my wife nags me about quite often when I ruin many a shirt and gene...but thats besides the point.. I put on gloves after project and hands came clean due to sweat, shivilings, and what not inside. Pretty cool.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 24, 2021, 6:29:55 AM
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2021, 10:44:01 AM
For your long-term safety do wear gloves when handling volatile solvents or "nasty" materials.

On the flip side, some solvents can pass through latex gloves and right in/through your skin (anything with benzene, toluene, urethane, and that sort of thing) and the longer you wear the gloves, the more solvent is retained against the skin surface area.

For these, the manufacturers may recommend a different glove type (thicker, laminated cloth) or material (nitrile or polypropylene "baggie" gloves).

Wear a butcher's apron if you're kneeling or working in a crawl space. It will protect the knees of your pants from acid, bleach, abrasions, and oily or volatile solvents that can stain or soak through cloth.

A long sleeved knit fabric shirt is recommended because it will cover as much skin as possible, but if say you got splashed with caustics or solvents or fuel, you can take it off very quickly and remove the saturated cloth from your skin. (Also they're cheap)

It doesn't take long to read any warnings and protect yourself. Meanwhile, your good work clothes aren't taking the brunt of a tough job, and toluene and urethane aren't seeping into your body and courting weird leukemias or central and peripheral nerve damage.

Good luck with your projects this spring! SAFETY FIRST.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Last edited by crunkatog on Apr 24, 2021, 1:54:54 AM
Thanks for the tips Crunk!

They recommended butal rubber gloves and nomex suit for this job. I shoulda just hired someone..very nasty industrial products...but I'm the type of person who likes to do everything at least once so I know whats up.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Apr 24, 2021, 6:31:01 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
They recommended butal rubber gloves and nomex suit for this job. I shoulda just hired someone..very nasty industrial products...but I'm the type of person who likes to do everything at least once so I know whats up.

it should also suggest or tell you required ventilator type for the specific fumes. if it doesn't you'd need to know yourself or shop around. either way knowledge in WHMIS is key.

because proper type and use of mask/ventilators is very important when dealing with strong industrial products and the like.
but in todays world proper PPE is being COMPLETELY ignored when ill-advised and unqualified individuals tell you to wear specific things to combat specific things they're not capable of dealing with!
haha

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info