Last Epoch worth it for character building?

I know it's not finished and they're gonna be working on that a good bit more. I was curious if it were worth getting if I just wanted to mess around trying to put different characters together like you can in PoE.

I put a few hundred in getting a decent PC set up, there's almost nothing I want to play on it though. Last Epoch is the last purchasable PC game I'm interested in and wanted some more input before buying it. I wasted money on Rust not knowing it forces you to play hours a day or not at all, and Sea of Thieves gets really boring alone. I got Nova Drift and Terraria too though, which were great purchases.

I can't find anything specifically about this and would really like some more info on it.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Last bumped on Jan 28, 2021, 3:53:27 PM
Yeah, it's worth it. It's the most promising Diablo clone since PoE. Plainly put, that means it's the most promising Diablo clone in a decade. Even more so than Grim Dawn at this point, which was too tethered by its Titan Quest roots. It has a ridiculous amount of content for an early access game -- several acts' worth of story and a getting-there end-game (others here could probably speak to that more than I). Most importantly, it's not free to play (so no strings attached after single purchase), truly indie and deserves the support of dedicated ARPG fans, just as PoE did back in 2012.

Almost everything PoE got 'wrong' in terms of mechanics, Last Epoch addresses, almost explicitly. It's made by former Exiles, just as PoE was made by former D2 fanatics. The on-the-fly crafting system (basically you find or rip mods from items, attach them to others) is brilliantly deterministic, and the skill trees (every skill has a tree) are very diverse but easier to balance than messy 'support gems. The current lack of multiplayer is the elephant in the room but they'll get there. There is a global chat even when playing solo so clearly this is the aim. They plan on implementing it sometime this year.

As far alting goes, character differences are rooted much more in your stats/passives/skill points/crafted items than in found gear so far. That's only natural -- the game isn't even out, so you won't see a vast number of uniques on offer. It's mostly down to choice of starting class, chosen prestige class (three for each base class), allocated skill points and which mods you put on your gear. This means that muling is not that big a deal -- alting's core is the shared access to the mod storage (which is totally separate to the 'stash'; again, no subtle storage gouging with LE). Once you've built up a large pool of mods, you can easily construct pretty much any sort of character from the start.

The main reason I personally don't play it more is I'm over Diablo clones for now. The story is a bit bland but certainly no less memorable than PoE's for the most part. I don't find the 'action' part of its ARPG all that satisfying but, again, it's no worse than PoE's and frequently better.

Barring the lack of trade/multiplayer and the flexibility of Maps, Last Epoch has everything going for it to serve as a solid alternative for Exiles who, for whatever reason, are looking for one.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Well, I'm sold on it.

All I really needed to end up buying it was a "yes". Appreciate the input though. Was a lot more helpful than my Google sesh.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
I live to swerve.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Hmmm never heard of Last Epoch, have to look into that!
Maybe you should just get it, and quite simply try it out.
If you like ARPGs, you may like Last Epoch too. It is really hard to say whether one may like it or not.
I like many ARPG titles, but that doesn´t mean I like them all, as long as they are ARPGs.
Many people like Diablo as it is. Others can´t stand it. I used to like Diablo to a certain point. Today I actually hates it.

Best thing you can do when it comes to certain titles and genres, is: Just go ahead and try it. Don´t bother to ask around. Just DO IT! Period!
That is what I have learned up through the decades.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info