[ANIME] The Most Advanced/Brilliant Comedic Timing I've Ever Seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3XVjy5Esrw

I've never seen a joke timed this way before. Whoever wrote this is a genius. It makes me wonder about, "What is humor?" To begin with. And why haven't more people discovered this timing?
Last bumped on Jan 23, 2021, 4:45:17 PM
I guess humour is subjective because I totally missed whatever joke was supposed to be in that video.

Here's what I consider good humour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab6wMeqpr3s
Azumanga Daioh is a classic for a reason...that and Nichijou are considered the best of their kind.

As for Emo, he's like a mix of Tiny Tim and Mitch Hedberg, except alive.

Paraprosdokian, eh? Thanks for teaching me a new word!

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Azumanga Daioh is saccharine! As was that clip, not funny. It was moe personified*!

*Well, not as much as this, but you get the point - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_Fairy
Sorry, I apologize.

(I don't delete embarrassing posts as it' snot "fair", but I've at least made it so it doesn't clutter up the discussion. :))

Spoiler
"
BearCares wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3XVjy5Esrw

I've never seen a joke timed this way before. Whoever wrote this is a genius. It makes me wonder about, "What is humor?" To begin with. And why haven't more people discovered this timing?

I don't understand the "funny," here. I do understand some of the comedic bits, but as far as any purpose beyond that... it escapes me. (I also just don't "get" Anime's appeal, as a genre either. But, that's a different subject.

"
LennyLen wrote:
...Here's what I consider good humour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab6wMeqpr3s

I do "get" that, though. (At least the first joke.) But, why do I get the joke here and not above? I'll explain...

A good joke stands on its own. It doesn't rely on anything that can't already be assumed to be known by a general audience. It's not reliant on the audience being initiated into something greater than the tools it uses - Everyone can be a neophyte human and "get it."

That does not mean that all jokes are constructed that way. But, the best ones, the ones that will have the most wide appeal, certainly are.

In the Anime vid, there's likely information that I am missing. I don't know the genre and I can not see any deeper humor than what is implied by my own experience - A child making an innocent assertion that someone stole their "height." A light chuckle, but not quite a masterpiece. Why?

There's a writing concept called the "Aha" moment. It's very applicable to this situation, IMO. In an "Aha" moment, a writer gives a reward to the reader for doing nothing more than paying attention... In movies, these are sometimes a "twist" moment. Or, they're a big "plot reveal" type of thing where as long as the audience has paid attention, they'll have a moment where they feel they, and only because they have paid attention, have discovered something. It's their "Aha!" That's a reward. It's not accidental in the least. It's an inducement for the reader or the viewer to keep reading or watching. It's also a hook - It makes the reader/viewer feel good about reading/viewing. They accomplished some hidden feat and now have a feel-good experience about all their previous effort.

In the Anime clip, I don't have access to the "Aha!" moment. I can't. I don't have the necessary information and have not been indoctrinated into the "Anime" thing. I can't possibly have the same reaction as someone who has these qualities.

But, for the second vid, I'm human. I can successfully interpret the comedian's portrayal of a character. I know it's intentional and they're purposefully doing it to form a specific empathetic moment. Their mannerisms contribute to my interpretation as well, simply because I'm not only a human, but am also familiar with a Weseternized audience. (This joke may not play the same in other cultures.) So, since I also know people are normally buried in some kind of formal dress, I get full reward for the whole "suit" concept associated with burial. Thus, in the end, the first joke plays well with me. I am part of the intended audience and am already armed with all the information I need to draw on for this comedic "Aha!" moment.

In long-running sitcoms, a lot of these jokes draw on the viewer's previous knowledge of characters, places, jobs, things, stuff... So, these are "inside jokes." They use the very same premise as an "Aha!" moment written in any story, comedic or not. In fact, every single good series, book or otherwise, rewards its fans with these sorts of Aha! moments scattered about. (Some do that more than others, but there's always the need to attract a "new audience," right?) If one is paying attention, one gets the reward and all the feel-good stuff that comes with it. A laugh, a feeling of being special because one is part of the "inside crowd" and even a feeling of achievement at knowing exactly what bits of the joke were funny and why.

Dramatic shows sometimes do this, too, with many elements. The frequency or importance of these events depends on if it's a self-contained episodic sort of show or a long-run drama. It's the difference between "Law & Order" and "The X-Files." But, if one is familiar with those shows, one also knows they borrow techniques and mix-and-match certain audience-reward mechanics.

But, if one isn't familiar with those television shows, one can't truly comprehend what I'm talking about, right? :)

Edit - Added: In American pop-culture, there's the "Who Shot J.R." thing. It was a dramatic "cliffhanger" in a long-running, dramatic, television series called "Dallas." This was the season closer and fans went nuts because it appears a favorite, key, character had been murdered! "Whodunit?" Fans gabbled endlessly, demonstrating their privileged knowledge with all sorts of very esoteric ideas thrown in. It was literally a giant bit of sandboxed drama, but only for "fans." People not intimately familiar with the show were attracted by all the enthusiasm, but didn't quite "get" why any of it was significant.

And then,

Spoiler
It was revealed it was all a dream. A huge chunk of what happened in that season was.. a dream.

The outrage was palpable. Why? Viewers were betrayed and their carefully horded esoteric knowledge was revealed to be entirely worthless...

But, since it was a relatively new mechanic being introduced in television and the show was so very popular, fans salvaged what love and devotion that they could and continued watching. But, it was a one-off. Audiences would only rarely accept such shenanigans in the future and certainly no readers would accept being subjected to such torture and disregard for their efforts.

Again, the overall effect of any mechanic, comedic or dramatic, usually relies heavily on the "intended audience" and the knowledge they already have. In some cases, esoteric bits will fall flat on an "unintended audience." (I never gave two poots about "Who Shot J.R." I wasn't a fan of the show... :)

PS: On the nature, specifically, and the mechanisms behind "why humor" uh... Well, that's entirely more complicated and I'm not sure there's a concise explanation possible. I can think of thousands of words worth of applicable stuffs nobody wants to read. :)
Last edited by Morkonan on Jan 19, 2021, 10:52:00 PM
yikes.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I apologize. I am truly sorry.

I won't be posting here again.

Goodbye, all, and enjoy the game.
This clip is HILARIOUS. Everything about it is brilliant. The phrase, "You took it, didn't you?" And the way they repeat the phrase - the timing. I've never heard anyone tell a joke a like that.

And I don't know it seems some of you are giving this anime a hard time. I don't even know anything about the show. Youtube recommendations took me there and I found it to be one a masterful comedic turn. But the TIMING. The TIMING is... well it's right there for you to see for yourselves.

Anyway I beleive that this series is written Japanese writers. And if it is I wouldn't be surprised because Japanese humor is special. The truth about comedy is that PEOPLE don't have to be funny. You know why? Because funny things are always happening all the time. All you really have to do is become available to the funny things and to point them out to other people. And I think that sentiment is evident in this clip.

Because I get the feeling with this long gaze and this pulsating reptition - it's like the writers are pointing their fingers at this situation and stepping aside to give the audience an oppurtunity to laugh... or not. I guess.

Because there is no punch line. It's just... brilliant. It's so Japanese.
"
BearCares wrote:
This clip is HILARIOUS. Everything about it is brilliant. The phrase, "You took it, didn't you?" And the way they repeat the phrase - the timing. I've never heard anyone tell a joke a like that.

It probably didn't help that I had to turn the sound off because I absolutely loathe high pitched voices, so I was just reading the subtitles.

But even after reading you explain what the joke is, I still can't see why anyone would find that funny. But as I said, humour is subjective. Some people think that making farting sounds is the pinnacle of wit.
"
Morkonan wrote:
Sorry, I apologize.

(I don't delete embarrassing posts as it' snot "fair", but I've at least made it so it doesn't clutter up the discussion. :))

Nothing embarrassing about that post. Bear opened up the question of humor, and I thought your post was very on-topic and wonderfully thought out. However, I'd say it's less about your lack of indoctrination into Anime and more about either Japanese humor or this particular genre of Anime. My experience with Anime is SciFi and Fantasy (Akira, Record of Lodoss War, Berserk, etc.), and this clip was out of left field for me, too.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info