PC Upgrade, Does it make sense here?

Hello there,

I'm thinking about possible improvements to my computer, but I'm not sure if in the current times (availability problems, prices) it makes sense.

My hardware currently looks like this:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1660Ti
RAM: G.Skill 2x8 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4
and SSD obviously

I mainly use the computer to play PoE, sometimes I play some AAA game between leagues, but I feel I need to lower my settings. My resolution is 1080p using 144Hz screen.

Is there anything here that I could replace so as not to buy the whole computer?

Last bumped on Jan 9, 2021, 12:39:46 PM
Change the GPU either for one of the new AMD or NVidia GPUs. But you should probably get AMD since your CPU is AMD.

I just got a new laptop it's 2080 max Q. So it's about 30-40% less powerful than a desktop 2080 and I can just barely max out Cyberpunk settings with Psycho raytracing at 30-40 fps at 1080p. So I imagine the desktop 2080 would have no problem at 1440. But honestly you should just forget about 20 series and whenever the new ones become available get one of those. The 1660ti is fine. It's fine you're doing okay buddy be patient.
Last edited by BearCares on Jan 5, 2021, 9:37:12 PM
Actually, I was thinking about replacing the GPU, specifically for 3060ti because, as you say, the 2xxx series is not making much sense at this point.

There is only one thing that worries me and it is bottleneck.

A good processor for this graphics card, from what I've read, is the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X, and that's another money.
I just don't think it's really worth it unless you're upgrading from something crappier than a 1660ti. OR unless you are upgrading to some ridiculous 4k setup. But for 1440p you're not missing much right now. The raytracing just isn't that important right now. But by December you'll probably have a bunch of really great titles that have really nice raytracing and THEN it would probably make sense to upgrade.

But honestly - you could just buy a PS5 instead. I mean when they finally become available.
@BearCares

Maybe you're right and I'll stay with what I have. It's enough for me to play PoE, and I think that even with a much better PC configuration in PoE there will be fps drops anyway = ) we know well how it is xD

And for AAA titles PS5 I think that's good deal.

Thanks.
"
Ashamper wrote:
Hello there,

I'm thinking about possible improvements to my computer, but I'm not sure if in the current times (availability problems, prices) it makes sense....

I mainly use the computer to play PoE, sometimes I play some AAA game between leagues, but I feel I need to lower my settings. My resolution is 1080p using 144Hz screen.

Is there anything here that I could replace so as not to buy the whole computer?

First, what are your needs?

If you're primarily concerned with game performance, you may have to look at the needs of the specific games/gennres you like to play. For instance, for myself it'd likely be games that are more CPU intensive. (4x/strat/sim)

After needs, comes "means" in terms of fulfillment. :) What you can afford often trumps what you need...

Changing out to a new CPU is often more limited due to motherboard capability/needs than a GPU switch.

RAM increases often result in across-the-board improvements in experience as long as minimum requirements are met or also exceeded. Of all general improvements, it's often the cheapest option. (You've got enough, IMO.)

I'd recommend that if you truly think you need an improvement, it's likely you're looking for a graphics upgrade unless you've got a specific game or app that requires a lot of heavy CPU use.

So..

Check your motherboard and what it can support, first. There are also marketplaces that have online apps that can help you configure a system and compatible hardware from known specifications. You can select your components, perhaps, and use such apps to help you figure out what's compatible.

Taking a look a user-forums and manufacturer's recommendations is a good idea, too.

On specific recommends, that depends on your budget. For myself, I only use NVidia GPU products where I can. Why? GPU-assisted rendering for 3D use is an issue and compatibility is an absolute necessity. Beyond that, it's that their drivers don't frequently bork up everything in one's gaming Library... :) I don't know of any inherent issues with coupling AMD CPUs with any other manufacturer's GPU. (It really wouldn't make sense unless AMD has purposefully done something,there.)

I would not dump a lot of money on a recently released GPU. The only time I'd ever do that is if I'm sure my current system specs are worthy of such an indulgence. (If you're thinking about transferring it to a new system when you get one, then there's likely going to be a better card available by the time that happens... :))
Morkonan thanks for you reply

My priority is to play PoE comfortably on medium-high details in 1080p. By this I mean playing with shadows on, because it makes a difference in this game.

So theoretically my PC is enough for this moment. I don't know if this will change much after the release of PoE2, but if it does then I will wonder what to do.

The problem is, as you can see, a hard replacement of one particular part, so that it makes sense.

The most important elements are always the CPU and the GPU, this is obvious.

But in this case the replacement of one of these parts involves the replacement of the other. And unfortunately not for little money.

I don't see a big alternative to 3060ti, this card seems to be the most cost-effective at this point. Yes, there are AMD cards, but I don't trust them personally, I had 2 cards from them and they both just died.

GPU replacement is CPU replacement and CPU replacement is motherboard replacement. It is funny, but this is how it looks like. My motherboard is already outdated. And GPU replacement is bottleneck.

So for now, I'll stay with what I have. And for playing AAA games I will use PS5.
This is like the worst time to look for an upgrade. Seriously, just look at price of GPUs. Don't buy anything. Wait till the bitcoin fever is over and vaccine. Your 1660ti is capable enough for 1080p.
Last edited by camapngu133 on Jan 9, 2021, 12:40:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info