I'm a console scrub.

Yeah, decided against a PC, I'm just waiting to catch a PS5 in stock. It's less than half of what it'd be for a comparable PC, and this way I got a tablet and beer/snack monies for a bit.

Probably get some garbage one once the next stimulus comes in for CS. But yeah, console is danker.

Spoiler
The PS5 is a myth.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Last bumped on Dec 22, 2020, 7:59:23 AM
is it cheaper though? assuming you don't already have a TV and such
maybe thats a big assumption now-a-days. im not sure
"
LV9999Majin wrote:
Yeah, decided against a PC, I'm just waiting to catch a PS5 in stock. It's less than half of what it'd be for a comparable PC, and this way I got a tablet and beer/snack monies for a bit.

Probably get some garbage one once the next stimulus comes in for CS. But yeah, console is danker.

Spoiler
The PS5 is a myth.

Don't forget - You have a monthly subscription fee to pay for if you wish to play multiplayer games.

I play PoE on XBox. I would not want to play PoE on PC without controller support. I also don't think I'd like the necessity of "in-person" trading being mandated on PC.

GGG's "Heavy Hand" economic policy split between Console and PC is... pretty darn outrageous. It's the only company that purposefully makes the game more difficult by using "inconvenience mechanics" to not only effect progression, but even the possibility of it for certain builds... (At least, on console - It's possible to not be able to progress due to a build's requirements on console.) As far as I'm concerned, it's a "crutch." It's a way to increase difficulty without having to ramp up scrutiny of game mechanics and encounters. It's also the most egregious abuse of players short of "pay2play" mechanics I've ever seen. /shrug Just my two ranting coppers on the subject... :)

In general, though, I prefer playing certain sorts of games on console and others on PC. One wouldn't catch me playing any sort of complex 4x game on console, for instance, and it'd be unlikely I'd prefer an ARPG on PC.

I've played Diablo 3 on both console and PC and greatly prefer the console experience, for instance. That being said, I played the old Star Wars Battlefront II on PC, but preferred the experience of the newer SWBF:EA version on console. (I still like the old version on PC... so many mods, such a great single-player experience.)
"
xMustard wrote:
is it cheaper though? assuming you don't already have a TV and such
maybe thats a big assumption now-a-days. im not sure

Yeah, a good amount if you want something as good. Just getting a Ryzen 7 and 2060 super is as much as a PS5. And I wouldn't want to skimp on a drive or MB.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
This has been my stance for the last 20 years: I can do anything on the PC, from listening to music, watching movies, working and checking the news to playing games and chatting. In this case why would I ever need a console for anything? You can also play things on the PC with a controller although I personally don't enjoy it.
Last edited by Johny_Snow on Dec 22, 2020, 2:30:27 AM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
You can also play things on the PC with a controller although I personally don't enjoy it.

I actually bought an Xbox controller to use with Cyberpunk, because I remembered finding The Witcher 3 easier with controller than with a keyboard/mouse, but I had difficulties aiming my shots with the controller so went back to keyboard/mouse.

At least I can use the controller for playing Yooka-Laylee.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
This has been my stance for the last 20 years: I can do anything on the PC, from listening to music, watching movies, working and checking the news to playing games and chatting. In this case why would I ever need a console for anything? You can also play things on the PC with a controller although I personally don't enjoy it.

The biggest benefit to me, also being a member of the PC Master Race, is that I can relax in a comfortable setting that is ideal for "controller" play.

My PC is on a desk with a decent officer chair and all that jazz, but with a 22" monitor. It's a great quality monitor meant for professional use, but... it's not my big-screen TV. It is very difficult to get a feel for a "controller focused game" on a normal PC Monitor.

I also have the Steam Link and Controller set up, but I haven't ever even taken them out of their boxes...

IMO, these days it's really only about gameplay preference in the "experience", usually qualified by game genre.
As with Mork, I find pc gaming and console gaming distinctly different experiences.

PC gaming is essentially lonely for me. It's upstairs, in this study, surrounded by all my books (35 years of accumulation; a physical breakdown of Who I Am), large mirrored sliding door closets, and a distinct lack of air conditioning. It's bone-cold static hell in winter; sticky-gross oppression in summer. Downstairs is the big tv, the AC, the consoles, and the GF's PC setup right next to them. Although we are exceptionally good at maintaining our own spaces, nothing beats a game with crossplay that I can play with her at the same time, me on the couch and her at her rig, without the artificial closeness of a headset. Or one playing on/using the TV while the other just does their own thing nearby. Usually she's in various Discords associated with her interests, but the other day it was me re-watching Dragonball Super while she read a trashy romance novel on kindle. Peak fucking Gen-X nerd co-existence right there.

Also, gaming in the evening with a few old school friends scattered across the globe is WAY more fun through console on the couch with a beer or coffee. It just seems more casual than doing it through PC. I associate PC multiplayer with people I've never met, usually conducted through text but sometimes voice if I deem them worthy of my...extraordinarily fast way of speaking (apparently). Thus I find console gaming much more intimate and nostalgic, where PC gaming is more hardcore and exposed to the wider internet. I was playing a console with friends over my place (SFamicom) long before I seriously got into PC gaming -- I wasn't allowed to have any form of internet until I turned 18 (coincidentally, the year Diablo 1 came out and ruined my life for years!).
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Dec 22, 2020, 8:02:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info