What's the Best $2000 Gaming Laptop?

I'm considering handing my Dell 1660 Max-Q laptop down to my nephew and then I would upgrade to something like a 2070 Super. Any suggestions?

I was thinking a Clevo something or another.

But which brand? Anyone familiar with Eluktronics Eluktroboost?

And a laptop with good thermals. It's no good if it's just going to throttle down all the time.
Last bumped on Nov 5, 2020, 12:50:15 AM
I can't answer as to what brand/model is the best. I think it's really a matter of personal preference and user needs based on what a specific model offers.

But, for cooling concerns, use a laptop fan. For any computer that gets a bit of work, I've always used a laptop cooling base/fan. Any of them will do as long as they're USB powered. Most have a USB hub for accessories and an adapter if you want to power them with AC. (Using one atm, even though this laptop doesn't do anything strenuous.)

In general, the only advice I can give is to determine your price point and then select candidates by taking a look at their mobile GPU chipsets to see if they're compatible with the sorts of games you'd want to run.

The best "gaming" laptop I ever had was an HP that was designed specifically for multimedia use. Better RAM, better CPU, switchable chipsets Nvidia/Intel, very good power reliability, full-size "laptop keyboard" (Unlike this tiny f'in thing I'm banging on atm) and, very importantly, ports and ports and ports... I could hook up a space-shuttle to it and I'm sure I have a cable compatible with a space-shuttle in a shoe-box somewhere.

I'd only go with an NVidia mobile chipset and an Intel CPU. I haven't been a fan of AMD for a very long time.

My old media laptop has a 17" screen, which was nice. But, it was also back when "glossy" was popular... You really can't compare the contrast, sharpness, and "pop" that glass screen has to newer matte/glare-free models, but the view angle isn't as good as a matte finish. The all aluminum case was a very nice QoL feature, too. Heavier, but much more durable if travel is your thing.

If you're mostly static and have a secondary monitor, those kinds of issues may not be much of a concern.
"
Morkonan wrote:
If you're mostly static and have a secondary monitor, those kinds of issues may not be much of a concern.

If you're mostly static, you're better off spending $1500 on a desktop machine and $500 on a laptop.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info