Let's write a story xD !!

Hellooo everyone, Reinier here!

I recently got this cool idea where the community comes together to write this sort-off large story: Players could enter their character concepts (even your actual characters in the game), and we'll write adventures about what they do. I'm not entirely sure where I'm heading with this yet, but I think it'd be cool seeing the community working together on a mini-project xD

It's basically gonna be a Dungeons and Dragons-like story where the community decides as to what happens to the characters we put in it.

Stuff we need:

- Characters
- A Setting
- A Goal

I mean, we could probably take a bit of lore from PoE; like we can make an entirely different group of exiles that travel through Wraeclast parallel to the main storyline:

We will be affected by the deaths of Merveil, Brutus, the opening of the Forest to gain access to the inland areas--- We wont be dealing with the main storyline bosses; so we'll have to either work with the mini-bosses of the zones or make our own antagonists.

Gosh, this actually hyped me

If you've got suggestions for this, leave a reply xD !! I hope we can do something like this hahaha

Act Rush Service~ IGN: Athiana_
Last edited by Reinier11 on Oct 27, 2020, 12:36:07 PM
Last bumped on Nov 9, 2020, 10:34:21 AM
Well, i'll give a bump. Character: Young woman. She has her left eye raplaced with a skill gem. That was done against her will. Gem allows her to see what others cant, but it has strange side effect.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Well, i'll give a bump. Character: Young woman. She has her left eye raplaced with a skill gem. That was done against her will. Gem allows her to see what others cant, but it has strange side effect.

I like the concept for the first character. Since it's the first, lets make her one of the main characters xD

This brings up the question of what her Eye-gem does though; should we make it one of the available skill gems? That applying a skill gem directly in one's body causes it to give different abilities, kinda like how alternate quality skill gems work?
Act Rush Service~ IGN: Athiana_
Writing by committee is... Put it this way - To "write" something, someone has to do actually "write it."

Entertainment threads usually go in round-robin sort of style, with posters just adding to what was written immediately before their post.

For serious stuff that actually works out to be a "story," the best example I can think of is the "Thieve's World" series. in that wonderfully entertaining series of books, authors took or created their own characters to interact with the events in the story's timeline, largely all taking place in the shared world of the city of "Sanctuary." (ie: "Thieve's World")

Using that model, the best approach would be to outline a series of events that don't necessarily involve key characters written by others, but can still impact those characters.

So, a town. A town that's falling apart, under threat, with warring sub-factions in the streets, uncertain leadership, struggling citizens and the harsh reality that life is cheap and some look to spend it quickly.

How do you start experimenting with that? Easy: "It was a dark and stormy night..." (Ugh! I know. But, it's easy... So, just go with it and write what your character is doing on this "Dark and Stormy Night" in some city, suburb, somewhere in a shared fantasy land.)
"
Reinier11 wrote:
"
Toshis8 wrote:

I like the concept for the first character. Since it's the first, lets make her one of the main characters xD

This brings up the question of what her Eye-gem does though; should we make it one of the available skill gems? That applying a skill gem directly in one's body causes it to give different abilities, kinda like how alternate quality skill gems work?

Alternate quality Vaal Breach

Per 1% Quality: 5% chance for clasped hands to appear and drop splints, as in a normal breach

"These are all the fucks It gives. Behold Its vast circle of fucks."
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
Toshis8 wrote:

Let's call her Null

The Ranger Sees Where They See naught,
Crystal Vision In One Eye Slot.
Her Arrows Fall And Scattered Bones,
Rise Again To Scream And Moan.
When She Glimpsed Eternity,
Null's Inclination Came To Be.
From The Fear That Makes Thought Blind,
Her Vision Pierced The Veil Of Time.

Null could never decide whether she had found the bow,or it had found her. Her grandmother had warned her not to play in the Templar's graveyard, but on her thirteenth birthday, Null felt like she was grown up enough to make her own decisions. When the raven swooped down and plucked her eye out, she ran screaming through the rows of headstones, only to trip over a protruding shaft of bone and bloody sinew.

Null's first inclination when she saw the gruesome bow was to bury it. As soon as she touched it, her thoughts shifted. The world around her became silent, though the bow itself seemed to whisper. Though the void in her skull never healed, and her loss of depth of vision made her a terrible shot, Null learned something dreadful. The things she killed with the bow, didn't stay dead, but became grotesque caricatures of themselves and attacked Null's enemies or prey.

Even this was scarcely more than a macabre parlor trick, as Null so rarely hit an enemy with a bow due to her terrible judge of distance. Until that day. The day she saw the same accursed raven swoop down on another child to pluck out the child's eye and swallow the eye down like a baby bird guzzling worms from it's mother.

Null fired a barrage of arrows, and the raven let out a terrible shriek and fell to the ground. The raven did not rise again, and when Null hurried over, she found that the bird had become glowing embers of charcoal. The body smoldered and crumbled, leaving behind a glistening ebon jewel that looked like a raven's eye. Null had heard of the legendary gems mined near Highgate, but nothing was mentioned of a skill gem as black as night.

Null thought about it for a split second, then grabbed the hot ebon jewel and slammed it into the void in her skull. The pain was unreal, and she lost consciousness. When she awoke, she could see with both eyes again, and moreover, her vision was keener than ever.

Null hurried out to the marsh to test her bow and her new eye. From behind a tall stand of rushes, she targeted three hairy bonecrushers and let her arrows fly. The arrows left her bow like whispered curses. The bonecrushers changed direction and started running toward her at speed.

No. The bonecrushers weren't running toward her, they were running toward the spots where arrows would land as they arced downward. Somehow, Null had seen her targets where they would be, not where they were when she fired. Three bonecrushers slumped to the ground, their bodies evaporated and three humanoid skeletons flickered out like lightning striking everything within a very wide range.

Null felt a chill run down her spine like cold rain. How far could these new and terrible powers carry her? Would she be in control of her own destiny once she started using them?

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Nov 9, 2020, 10:49:57 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info