PS4 Crashing is Different Now

I've been playing since shortly after PoE for the PS4 released. There have always been crashes and blue screens. It has become just something of a fact of life with choosing to play on the PS4. It's going to crash. It's going to BSoD. You just roll with it. And in the past, this has been fairly easy to do.

But things are different now.

I took Harvest league off as it didn't appeal to me. Heist looked more interesting, so I leveled up in spite of the crashes and just rolled with them like always, but there is a definite difference between the way PoE used to crash, and the way in crashes now. The impact on the level of frustration is staggeringly high.

Previously, probably 95 percent of all PS4 crashes were disconnects. These are terribly inconvenient and annoying, and they can even lead to losing valuable instances and loot, but most of the time they were just what I'd call "drops," no different than if you were in trouble and quickly brought up the menu to log out as more than one hardcore player has probably done dozens if not hundreds of times.

The crashes in Heist aren't disconnects or drops. They are lock ups. This is very different. I will set aside for a moment the possibility of damage to the console that several others have written about as it's a different subject than the one I'm addressing. During a lock up, the character actually stays in game momentarily but does nothing...and in a game like PoE, we all know what happpens when you stand still in the middle of a pack of monsters for the six or so seconds that it takes the server to realize you are no longer online:

You Die.

And because the system has no way of knowing that you died to a system failure (which I will add is clearly on GGG's end...I've had a PS4 and a PS4 pro for about three years now and PoE has crashed dozens of times more than every other game I've ever played on the system COMBINED), you suffer the consequences of dying....you drop experience.

So now, in addition to the inconvenience of reloading the game, you also are set back X number of hours of game play in lost XP. It is this, more than the crashing, that has led me to post this thread. Don't get me wrong, the game should NOT crash...and there are clearly hundreds of developers out there capable of making games that do not crash on the PS4. But...I was willing to deal with inconvenience, but not an outright impediment to progress.

To this end, GGG you need to do one of two things:

1) Fix the crashes or at least stabilize the crashes in such a way that they are drops/disconnects/logouts, not lockups...

OR

2) Disable the death penalty on PS4 when this does happen until you figure out how to do #1.

Until you do, I will do what so many others have suggested. I will speak with my wallet.

Thank you.
Last edited by Zestrenocya on Oct 7, 2020, 4:27:39 AM
Last bumped on Oct 8, 2020, 7:23:11 PM
problem with crashes is that it's the console OS that forces the game to close when it encounters an error in the game which results in an automatic disconnect in the same way that happens on pc, GGG may be able to fix the error(s) but they cannot change how the OS reacts to the errors that part can only be changed by the platform holder.
"
problem with crashes is that it's the console OS that forces the game to close when it encounters an error in the game which results in an automatic disconnect in the same way that happens on pc, GGG may be able to fix the error(s) but they cannot change how the OS reacts to the errors that part can only be changed by the platform holder.

You don't fix errors by ignoring them, if they fix the errors, their would be no errors for the os to react to
I agree completely, turn off the death penalty!!! I might keep playing, and will also vote with my wallet.
Last edited by RavekDragomir on Oct 8, 2020, 8:16:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info