Was the PS4 crashing bug introduced in Harvest?

I started in Delirium league, and while the performance was rough, I don't think I ever bluescreened.

Compare that to the last two leagues.

Why not do a code review of the changes from the end of Delirium to the beginning of Harvest? Given the wealth of data / replicability of crashes, I feel like a lead developer with a couple of testers could isolate it pretty quickly.
Last bumped on Oct 8, 2020, 8:37:08 AM
It's way before Delirium, I quit that league and refuse to touch a mirror if I have XP id like to keep even now. Dunno how people can stay connected to it.
I played a lot of Delirium and also never had crashes there. The crashes began in harvest but they have gotten considerably more common in Heist.
The crashes didn't start in Harvest. You can look on this forum and see people complaining about crashes literally since launch.

However, Harvest was the worst League up to then, and Heist is even worse.

At least in Harvest most of the crashes didn't kill your character (because they were usually in the Garden or your hideout), and Delirium had only a 50/50 chance of crashing you.

I'm going to be making a separate post about how bad the crashes are in Heist, because it's the first league were crashing has made me quit. And I'm a dedicated player. I made 37 challenges last league, and already have 5 done this league (without deliberately completing any, just from progressing).
There were a lot of crashes since launch but in Delirium league the performance for me was good on PS4 Pro with not that many blue screens, maybe once every couple of hours.

Harvest was really bad but Heist is even worse so far, pretty much became unplayable really.
Last edited by emperor_of_doom6 on Sep 30, 2020, 3:25:09 PM
I started when it launched on PS4 Synthesis League. From my experience on a non-Pro SSD console, the crashes were MUCH less frequent back then, and they seemed to be correlated with the amount of stuff going on at once. My crashes were usually in very dense T16 maps or Synthesis zones with a ton of enemies and effects. The blue crash screen appeared immediately, and gave you the option to attach a video. I never experienced these black screens with delayed blue screen or entire console lock ups.

The game is substantially worse now. I haven't played since Synthesis, so I don't know when it started, but *something* was introduced since release that broke the game. The crashes are much more common, and happen at random. It could be in act 1 or your hideout. It's such a mess.

I agree with you that tracing this behavior back to its inception would be a good start at isolating what was changed. My suspicion is that it's a GPU memory issue. Occasionally the screen freaks out flashing textures in and out of view. This doesn't always lead to a crash, but it probably means there's some garbage data not getting cleaned up.
Last edited by Max_Planck on Oct 1, 2020, 7:13:49 PM
My sense is they got a lot worse in harvest this was the patch that introduced bloom. Bloom has changed in a lot of the code and they didnt leave a way to go back (or refuse to).
Its ridiculous at the moment im crashing every 20 mins or so on my cycloner (ps4pro) something i was able to easily play a couple of hrs b4 a crash in delirium.
"
Fhark wrote:
My sense is they got a lot worse in harvest this was the patch that introduced bloom. Bloom has changed in a lot of the code and they didnt leave a way to go back (or refuse to).
Its ridiculous at the moment im crashing every 20 mins or so on my cycloner (ps4pro) something i was able to easily play a couple of hrs b4 a crash in delirium.

"Shiny things go boom" is apparently more important than a properly functioning game.

God forbid they tone down the graphics and give us a game that runs.
"
Max_Planck wrote:
I started when it launched on PS4 Synthesis League. From my experience on a non-Pro SSD console, the crashes were MUCH less frequent back then, and they seemed to be correlated with the amount of stuff going on at once. My crashes were usually in very dense T16 maps or Synthesis zones with a ton of enemies and effects. The blue crash screen appeared immediately, and gave you the option to attach a video. I never experienced these black screens with delayed blue screen or entire console lock ups.

The game is substantially worse now. I haven't played since Synthesis, so I don't know when it started, but *something* was introduced since release that broke the game. The crashes are much more common, and happen at random. It could be in act 1 or your hideout. It's such a mess.

I agree with you that tracing this behavior back to its inception would be a good start at isolating what was changed. My suspicion is that it's a GPU memory issue. Occasionally the screen freaks out flashing textures in and out of view. This doesn't always lead to a crash, but it probably means there's some garbage data not getting cleaned up.

^ This.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info