Maine Coon is up for adoption...

I have almost an acre of land. However couple things, owls and hawks. Would a hawk attack a fully grown Maine Coon?
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last bumped on Aug 24, 2020, 5:56:02 PM
I don't think so. There's well over a dozen cats at my house, tons of bears and foxes around too, they never bother them though. Not sure if a hawk would be less selective about it.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
I doubt that.
MCs are pretty big cats, doubt a hawk would go for one.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Hawks can and will attack cats, i lost 1 of my cats as a matter of fact to a hawk.
Kinda sad as well she had young, they were eaten.
[Removed by Support]

Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
I sent video and photos to wildlife center they identified it as a Red Tail Hawk. They told me, if I adopted the Maine Coon that hawks arent the only problems.

Rattle Snakes, vipers and coyotes...

So coyotes seem to be the main vs the hawk. They did say hawk can and will attack a Maine Coon they are fair game.

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Hawks will go after anything that moves. We live in the most densely crowded city in Canada and have had the cats on the balcony of our flat, and redtails will occasionally dive in for a takeout and we see a 3-foot shadow blot out the sun and the cats come shooting inside as the hawks slam into the balcony netting.

A piece of unwanted advice:

If you like cats, but you don't have absolute control over who or what is using your land, this is not the cat for you.

Unless you have a way and an intent to keep the cat strictly indoors forever, you will eventually be introduced to cat vs. wildlife. Sometimes the wildlife will simply come and introduce themselves to you, with your cat's remains dotting their bib.

You can theoretically incursion-proof your property to reduce unwanted encounters between kitty and predators, or kitty and unintentional prey. Basically it requires thinking in three broad theatres of war: Death from Above, land assault, and Subterfuge.

Death from Above are hawks, eagles, owls, and conversely, endangered songbirds and the neighbours' chickens that your cat will view as flying prey.

Ground assault means coyotes, bears, fence climbers, trash pandas, stray dogs, other cats, and deer.

Subterfuge includes prairie dogs, badgers, snakes, scorpions, moles, spiders, and other burrowers or infiltrators who defy concrete berms and sluice ponds; ths can include rats and yellowjackets and ants and other nesters inside the house.

By thinking on all three fronts, you can theoretically protect your short-attention-span, aggressively territorial, instinctively riveted-by-motion small predator.

For reals though? :shrug:
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Dreams crushed but it’s fine, someone wants to give me trim totoise but there’s no way. They can dig 20 feet holes and fuck up your garden. Not to mention the smell...

What's that? They tried to offer you Totoro and you turned him down?

:PPP

This reminds me of my nephews who recently began adopting turtles displaced by the flooding near their house. It's like a ninjatorium over there now. There's no noticeable smell but then their mom is a veteran dairy farm girl (I did NOT say milkmaid!) and practically goes everywhere with a hip holster of bleach spray and power washer.

Everything gets scrubbed. Turtle shells get buffed with dilute bleach and fungicide, moss changed every day, no standing water only on-demand fountains, etc.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
I saw a falcon attack a cat before, and you figure a cat would have a fighting chance, but it really doesn't. Predatory birds, for their size and weight are one of the most powerful predators around. If there was a hawk that weighed 100lbs, it could take down a full grown man no problem. It would sneak attack you from the air, and rip out your jugular with its beak. You'd be dead before you really knew what hit you. Less than a few million years ago, there used to be predatory birds this size. They're in the fossil records. Hawks have been known to attack small children.

An eagle destroys a goat! Imagine if that bird was 4x larger!

https://youtu.be/a8vXrUEs8wk
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Aug 24, 2020, 6:08:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info